What are the blue/red flames & swords on the new kill announcements?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaezakura

08-20-2011

I think to give any valid feedback, we need a rundown of what icons currently exist and what they stand for. Without that information, we're kind of shooting in the dark--this whole topic was founded on trying to decipher what we were seeing, because it wasn't immediately obvious.

Rayven

UX Designer

08-20-2011
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Continuing from Lima's post.

When we realized the ability icons were confusing, we even tried to simplify by either showing whether it was an ability or attack which dealt the killing blow.

Ultimately, that's not the most important information to convey (pretty irrelevant actually), so we went with kill, streak, streak ended.

Yaezakura

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
, that's not the most important information to convey (pretty irrelevant actually), so we went with kill, streak, streak ended.
If these are the three things you want icons to represent, than I think I have an easy to understand pattern.

A kill is the normal crossed swords icon.

A killing spree is the crossed swords, but with the blades on fire to represent the spree.

Ending a streak would be the swords are broken, possibly with a bit of smoke coming off of them to show that the fire has been put out.

TwoFatNuts

Adjudicator

08-20-2011

uhh pretty obvious

kill - guy gets stabbed
streak - naked guy running
streak ended - naked guy gets stabbed.

you're welcome

rumples

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFatNuts View Post
uhh pretty obvious

kill - guy gets stabbed
streak - naked guy running
streak ended - naked guy gets stabbed.

you're welcome
this is why we have adjudicators. +1 sir.

NiTeHaWk830

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-20-2011

1 sword - normal kill, no streak
multiple swords - kill with streak (maybe an x5 or something for large number sprees)

killing spree ended - broken sword? idk. this one might be hard

Delirus

08-20-2011

Quote:
Ultimately, that's not the most important information to convey (pretty irrelevant actually), so we went with kill, streak, streak ended.
I still think the skill icons would be best, increase the size a bit to make them more readable. Anyone who can't tell what it is at that point doesn't really care enough about the icons to begin with, so its moot if they don't know.

Heck, add a mouseover on the icon to show the skill tooltip even. This way, less educated players might even learn more about what other champions do.

Agg

08-20-2011

Quote:
Continuing from Lima's post.

When we realized the ability icons were confusing, we even tried to simplify by either showing whether it was an ability or attack which dealt the killing blow.

Someone else mentioned using fire and ice to signify streaks and streak breaking respectively.

A kill could just be a sword, maybe a bloody sword.

Maybe you could have the portrait of the portrait of someone on a streak on fire, possibly correlate flame size/number of flames with streak size, and then have a broken kill streak have ice/frost around the person who's streak was broken's portrait. maybe something along the lines of say, the font used on an Ice Age 2 image (the blue/whitish one, GIS should spot it pretty easy).

Regardless of streak status, you would have the sword as the icon with only the portraits of those involved indicating streak/break status.

Natural Poise

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolotovCaveat View Post
Kill: show a skull.

Killstreak: put a number on the skull.

End of a killstreak: add a crack to the skull. If the person who ended the killstreak is also on a killstreak themselves you can still show a number on the skull, too.
This, because it is simple and direct. Anyone can understand how it works, and you can glean all the useful information in a very quick glance. It also leaves the icon variable still available for other information to be added, if desired. Like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirus
I think it would be cooler just to show the icon of the damaging skill which landed the killing blow. Then do some special effects around the kill callout border to signify the streak/endstreak thing.
we tried this first. It just didn't work very well, people found it extremely confusing. Many of the icons just didnt look good on that size or with that color around them. And just ended up looking like a jumble of random icons and colors.
I think you could show the source of the killing blow by using simple letter icons instead of the actual skill picture:

Q for their q skill
W for their w skill
E
R
P for passive
A for basic attack
I for item damage

That should look fine and not be too confusing.

Edit: I forgot towers and minions. Those would probably work as icons easily enough.

StretchyStretch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Hmmm, community feedback time!

Hint, you're actually seeing two variations on the same graphics, one in the livestream and one in the screenshot that was posted. We changed the orange and blue fireball because internal playtesting showed that people didn't get what it meant.

We want to show kills, streaks, and ending someone's streak.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
I'd like to see icons for ace, shut downs, triples, quadras, etc.