What are the blue/red flames & swords on the new kill announcements?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delirus

08-20-2011

I think it would be cooler just to show the icon of the damaging skill which landed the killing blow. Then do some special effects around the kill callout border to signify the streak/endstreak thing.

rumples

08-20-2011

what about a sword for a kill and a broken sword for ending a streak

Mr Threepwood

08-20-2011

Broken sword for ending a streak makes sense to me. Flaming sword for killing spree makes plenty of sense to me as well. Regular sword regular kill? Also makes sense.

rumples

08-20-2011

sword(regular kill)
flaming sword (small streak) broken flaming sword (end small streak)
super awesome sword (worth most gold) broken super awesome sword (end that streak)

easy to understand.

MrGullible

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirus View Post
I think it would be cooler just to show the icon of the damaging skill which landed the killing blow. Then do some special effects around the kill callout border to signify the streak/endstreak thing.
I fully agree with this. FPS games do this with their kill notifications, and it can lead to some very funny moments when unconventional/rare kills happen.
(Annie killed Yi with Molten Shield recoil!)

Mostly I think it would be interesting to know exactly what killed you, or what scored a kill you weren't expecting; would also be fun for gathering statistics.

For a kill streak, I think it would make sense for the killer's icon to be on fire. Like a "hot streak". Could have the target's icon be frozen or fizzled for being shut down. Perhaps the fire could grow more and more intense as the streak gets longer.

McPirate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2011

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking.
Similar to how most FPS show who killed who, with what weapon and if it was a headshot, ect.

Hethow

08-20-2011

Think it would be cooler if it showed what skill killed them or if it was auto.

Amariithynar

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Hmmm, community feedback time!

Hint, you're actually seeing two variations on the same graphics, one in the livestream and one in the screenshot that was posted. We changed the orange and blue fireball because internal playtesting showed that people didn't get what it meant.

We want to show kills, streaks, and ending someone's streak.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Can you also show it in a form that denotes autoattack or spell (spells like... a fireball instead of a sword, sorta thing?)

MolotovCaveat

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
We want to show kills, streaks, and ending someone's streak.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Kill: show a skull.

Killstreak: put a number on the skull.

End of a killstreak: add a crack to the skull. If the person who ended the killstreak is also on a killstreak themselves you can still show a number on the skull, too.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

08-20-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
we tried this first. It just didn't work very well, people found it extremely confusing. Many of the icons just didnt look good on that size or with that color around them. And just ended up looking like a jumble of random icons and colors.