Why Sexual Orientation Matters to Some People

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

daddio301

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
How the hell do I find people like me? What am I like? Oh, I'm not gay, so I must be in some sort of 'majority' that 'has it easy'?

Well, let's see, I could create a channel about one of my interests- horror movies, video games, philosophy, etc, in an effort to meet people who are like me in that respect.

Oh wait, gay people can do that too.

Here's the reality: There's things that are accepted, and things that aren't. Just because I'm not gay doesn't mean my life is totally acceptable. Maybe I like to pick my nose and eat it. Just because talking about it here would get me downvotes and ridiculed, do I get to be a persecuted minority too?
By being straight, you are in a majority that does have it easy in that aspect of your life. That is part of straight privilege. I'm saying that when finding friends you can already assume you have one thing in common, that you are both straight. That doesn't mean they will be like you in anything else, just like the person asking for gay people to add them can't guarantee anything else they will have in common or not in common with the people adding them.

MrButton

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveOurServer View Post
What frustrates me is that the guy this poster is reponding to was responding to a thread where a summoner asked gay people to post on his forum so he could add them in game.

If I made a thread saying "If you're straight add me" I would be called closed-minded, downvoted, and considered a bigot.

So why is it okay to make a thread saying "Add me if you're gay" but not "add me if your straight"? Why is one acceptable and another considered bigotry?
it's disgusting and wrong in the 1st place... there's a very natural reason for those that are straight, to think the way they do. It's unnatural no matter how you justify it.

Seriously though, OP's like this are just fishing for attention and want to be able to tell themselves they are important because they created a controversial thread.

iTzCoconutHead

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xalis View Post
Let's make a white history month together.
And a white entertainment television channel.
^
Call it WET.

AndyLynn

08-19-2011

sexual orientation doesnt matter, gays want to be accepted as being no different than anyone else, if they'd stop acting like self entitled ******bags who ARE different, maybe theyd get what they want,

Somepants

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejectSoul View Post
This is wrong on a few levels, first...don't relate being gay to pokemon cards. I would rather not have my childhood screwed up. Second, being gay shouldn't even be something people know about really. I don't go around saying, "oh I'm straight, and i only want top play with the same kinda folk as me." So why do gays tend to do this all the time? Being gay isn't something you have to advertise. Its just somthing that you are. No need to bring in up.

If you think that a guys hot, just say" oh, that guys hot." and be like the rest of us who say" ****, that chicks hot." You don't have to say" Oh hey guys, im gay. Whats it to you."

-before anyone says "Oh, you are just a hater" Please reread then post again.
It leads directly into the counterargument of enforcing a cultural norm, and also kind of gives the feeling that you feel uncomfortable when people announce it, implying homophobia.

It's just kind of a flawed standpoint.

WayneChaw

Recruiter

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
You could say the exact same thing about being a gamer, or being a fan of country music, or bring an Eskimo, or being blonde, or a million other things. Presumably, a gay person has some of these OTHER qualities too. So of all the possible ways in which they could find similar people to be together with, why pick the one that's about ***, in a video game played by kids?
1. because some people simply want to meet others who are gay too, why is that so hard to understand

2. theres no reason the shield kids from homosexuality, kids realize they are gay very young

Healcannon

08-19-2011

waiting for the truely straight version of this thread to be made so we have all bases covered.

because i mean everyone should love everyone right? dat forced to have tolerance these days

Somepants

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebroid View Post
waiting for the truely straight version of this thread to be made so we have all bases covered.

because i mean everyone should love everyone right? dat forced to have tolerance these days
Separate, but equal.

zachizblack

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChaw View Post
A thread was made suggesting that sexual orientation does not matter when it comes to making friends. The conclusion he draws from this is that gay people should stop trying to meet others who are gay as well in this game. The fundamental problem with this line is thought is that people with similar interests do tend to be interested in befriending each other. Those who like pokemon cards, those who like watching Starwar movies, etc, tend to become friends because they have a similar interest that they can talk about.

Being gay is the same thing. Being gay often means a feeling of loniless in childhood because gay people do not come out until about college usually. It is natural for gay kids to seek other similar people in order to not feel alone as the only gay person you know in life. Just because they want to seek other gay gamers does not mean they want to have bedroom fun with other gay people, contrary to what the OP suggested in the other thread.

TLDR: It does matters to some people whether someone is gay or not. Not because two gay people who met online want to hook up and have bedroom fun later, but because people with similar interests attract when it comes to friendship.
Lol@ "being gay often means a feeling of loneliness in childhood" lmfao, bro, don't talk, please. I have friends that are gay, they were never and aren't Lonely.

glaigas

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLynn View Post
sexual orientation doesnt matter, gays want to be accepted as being no different than anyone else, if they'd stop acting like self entitled ******bags who ARE different, maybe theyd get what they want,

i'd like to see a chatlog of a game like this..

this is LoL, not /soc/.. why would you even bother to ask or announce your gender/sexual orientation/ethnicity?