Why Sexual Orientation Matters to Some People

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WayneChaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amencorner View Post
My point is, is if finding gay people to play this game with is so important, go make a forums called "LGBT League Players" or something, and get over the fact that you can't say the word "gay" in a game where it is 99% of the time used in a negative connotation, by what is widely regarded as one of the worst communities in gaming.
or its easier to just make a thread on this forum and ignore the trolls.

Duke Of VandaIs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
You don't have to make a forum thread about finding other gays, just add anyone who mains taric or ezreal as a friend.
sorry, taric and ez aren't my type.

Uccisore

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio301 View Post
Erm, no. You're allowing the minority group to do something the majority group has always had the privilege of doing: easily finding people like them.
How the hell do I find people like me? What am I like? Oh, I'm not gay, so I must be in some sort of 'majority' that 'has it easy'?

Well, let's see, I could create a channel about one of my interests- horror movies, video games, philosophy, etc, in an effort to meet people who are like me in that respect.

Oh wait, gay people can do that too.

Here's the reality: There's things that are accepted, and things that aren't. Just because I'm not gay doesn't mean my life is totally acceptable. Maybe I like to pick my nose and eat it. Just because talking about it here would get me downvotes and ridiculed, do I get to be a persecuted minority too? No, because I'm a complex and interesting character. I don't HAVE to talk about the one thing about my life that is controversial when I meet strangers.

Beinn

08-19-2011

"like them" So much for everyone being equal regardless of sexual orientation.

0xalis

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveOurServer View Post
What frustrates me is that the guy this poster is reponding to was responding to a thread where a summoner asked gay people to post on his forum so he could add them in game.

If I made a thread saying "If you're straight add me" I would be called closed-minded, downvoted, and considered a bigot.

So why is it okay to make a thread saying "Add me if you're gay" but not "add me if your straight"? Why is one acceptable and another considered bigotry?
Let's make a white history month together.
And a white entertainment television channel.
And have a straight pride parade. BE PROUD TO BE STRAIGHT

Somepants

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard42 View Post
because being straight puts you in a majority where you are free to love who you want without the fear or worry that someone might hate you
wellllll.....

WayneChaw

Recruiter

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post

Here's the reality: There's things that are accepted, and things that aren't.
and being gay is not accepted?

Aristol

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveOurServer View Post
So why is it okay to make a thread saying "Add me if you're gay" but not "add me if your straight"? Why is one acceptable and another considered bigotry?
Because you're mocking an entire minority group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore
Secondly, being gay is different from those things because it's a sexual practice that you're advertising in a video game children play. It's no different than creating a channel for chubby chasers, or people who like to get peed on, or people who like to masturbate a certain way. How could you possibly think any of that is acceptable here?

Thirdly, gay people aren't token gay characters from tv shows. They're actual human beings that have a whole bunch of different facets to the personality including interests, hobbies, and so on. A gay person is perfectly capable of befriending others through their love of pokeman or Star Wars just like a straight person.
The cognitive dissonance here is kind of astounding. These two statements are both offensive and progressive. Yes, gay people are perfectly capable of making friends other ways. I myself have more friends through my hobby of table-top RPG gaming and video games than I have other gay friends. But there's a different level of relationship happening.
Being gay isn't just a hobby, nor is it just about sexual proclivity. Being gay is as much a set of life experiences. It is, in part, the experience of being a minority among the majority. I bet if you were to "infiltrate" any kind of Gay Gaymerz channel, you wouldn't find very little talk about ***. You would likely find a group of people talking about gaming but with notably fewer instances of people calling each other "f*gg*t." It's nice to be able to go into an environment where I can be relatively sure I won't get hated on in that way.
To put it in possibly a more understandable way: When we travel and meet someone who is roughly from the same geographic or cultural background, we tend to gravitate towards them. Even if we have very little else in common, it is comforting and enjoyable to know that at least one other person in your company understands the world you come from.

Uccisore

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhalf View Post
When someone other than gay people tend to look at sexual orientation, they look at it only as the act. But where you have a behavior, you have social constructs that subsume personalities, behaviors, and values. There are sensibilities at work and, sure, they are like all cultures parasitically entering into the citizen and forming that person, but we're only human, man. We might know that it is the environment that damages us and turns us into what we are, and yet the damage is done and we go forth living in this way.

Plenty of gay people, for instance, will see that sexual orientation does not matter, but they are just a segment of the whole. There's a real culture out there, and like-minded people with similar sensibilities will want to be together. Comfort, baby.
You could say the exact same thing about being a gamer, or being a fan of country music, or bring an Eskimo, or being blonde, or a million other things. Presumably, a gay person has some of these OTHER qualities too. So of all the possible ways in which they could find similar people to be together with, why pick the one that's about ***, in a video game played by kids?

RejectSoul

08-19-2011

This is wrong on a few levels, first...don't relate being gay to pokemon cards. I would rather not have my childhood screwed up. Second, being gay shouldn't even be something people know about really. I don't go around saying, "oh I'm straight, and i only want top play with the same kinda folk as me." So why do gays tend to do this all the time? Being gay isn't something you have to advertise. Its just somthing that you are. No need to bring in up.

If you think that a guys hot, just say" oh, that guys hot." and be like the rest of us who say" ****, that chicks hot." You don't have to say" Oh hey guys, im gay. Whats it to you."

-before anyone says "Oh, you are just a hater" Please reread then post again.