Why Sexual Orientation Matters to Some People

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uccisore

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChaw View Post
A thread was made suggesting that sexual orientation does not matter when it comes to making friends. The conclusion he draws from this is that gay people should stop trying to meet others who are gay as well in this game. The fundamental problem with this line is thought is that people with similar interests do tend to be interested in befriending each other. Those who like pokemon cards, those who like watching Starwar movies, etc, tend to become friends because they have a similar interest that they can talk about.
A few things here. First of all, creating a pokemon or Star Wars channel in the game in the attempts to find fans of it would be weird, I think, but maybe not.

Secondly, being gay is different from those things because it's a sexual practice that you're advertising in a video game children play. It's no different than creating a channel for chubby chasers, or people who like to get peed on, or people who like to masturbate a certain way. How could you possibly think any of that is acceptable here?

Thirdly, gay people aren't token gay characters from tv shows. They're actual human beings that have a whole bunch of different facets to the personality including interests, hobbies, and so on. A gay person is perfectly capable of befriending others through their love of pokeman or Star Wars just like a straight person.

Also, to your 'it's not necessarily about ***' thing. I'm a male, ok? I know what would be on my mind if I was creating a channel or participating in one that existed to 'befriend women'. There's no need to play dumb about what's about ***, and what isn't.

Aristol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Even beyond similar interests:
There is a reason that most major cities have a Chinatown, a Little Italy, and a Gayborhood. At my rural Georgia high school (back in the 90s! sheesh!), the vast majority of the students were white. The dozen or so black kids hung out together at lunch. The two or three Asian kids, the same. Why?
Because we want to congregate with people whose life experiences are like our own. Even aside from "talking about [insert demographic] stuff" just knowing that my teammate comes from a similar background as I do makes him a better teammate. We are more likely to think alike and understand one another's actions. We will feel more comfortable working together, and our chances of winning will be better because of that.
Assuming that gay players want to be friends just to hook up is horribly reductive, and such analogies are much more reflective of your own ways of thinking.

EveryTimeV

08-19-2011

At the end of the day you can be friends with whoever you want, saying it's wrong to not like homosexuality is like saying it is equally wrong to like heterosexuality, truth is you aren't ina relationship with each other, you aren't bothering each other, you shouldn't care what one another is into.

Queen Toffee

Recruiter

08-19-2011

I agree totally and completely.

HOWEVER,
Please don't make threads about this sort of thing and stir up all the flamers and trolls more than necessary.

PoopshipDestroye

08-19-2011

Now. As a Catholic Priest, I do not condone homosexuality.

Lysdexic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveOurServer View Post
What frustrates me is that the guy this poster is reponding to was responding to a thread where a summoner asked gay people to post on his forum so he could add them in game.

If I made a thread saying "If you're straight add me" I would be called closed-minded, downvoted, and considered a bigot.

So why is it okay to make a thread saying "Add me if you're gay" but not "add me if your straight"? Why is one acceptable and another considered bigotry?
You are equating a minority population to a majority one. Your argument ended there.

Keegan320

08-19-2011

You're stupid. Did you even read the other one????

Quote:
What frustrates me is that the guy this poster is reponding to was responding to a thread where a summoner asked gay people to post on his forum so he could add them in game.

If I made a thread saying "If you're straight add me" I would be called closed-minded, downvoted, and considered a bigot.

So why is it okay to make a thread saying "Add me if you're gay" but not "add me if your straight"? Why is one acceptable and another considered bigotry?
This is what the other guy was getting at. He wasn't saying gays gtfo or anything like that.

daddio301

08-19-2011

Quote:

It's because straight people have the privilege of already having pretty much everybody they add being straight or at least being able to assume they are straight. Nobody needs help finding people that are straight, because they are the majority. It is part of the massive bundle of things that straight people are privileged with over anybody else.

SaveOurServer

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokico View Post
You are equating a minority population to a majority one. Your argument ended there.
And you're giving preferential treatment to one group over another. All under the guise of equality.

GloriousTrousers

08-19-2011

Why isn't this thread fabulous?