[Guide] Pantheon - Splash Damage build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reign28

05-12-2010

I just wanted to share my Pantheon build since I have not seen it posted on here recently and I have done fairly well with it.

If i find more time I'll add skill descriptions, but for now skill descriptions can be found at multiple places and posts on this website. So getting right into it.

Skill Build:

Spear Shot
Heartseeker Strike
Aegis of Zonia
Aegis of Zonia / Spear Shot
Aegis of Zonia
Grand Skyfall
Aegis of Zonia
Heartseeker Strike
Heartseeker Strike
Heartseeker Strike
Grand Skyfall
Heartseeker Strike

From here i prefer to max Aegis of Zonia for the reduced cooldown, and Spear Shot last. Even though I take Spear Shot last, it still scales with your attack damage so it will be useful throughout the game.

Skill Build reasoning:

The general reason for this skill build is to maximize his useful abilities at each given level. Spear Shot and Heartseeker are based on his attack damage/weapon damage, which you do not have in the laning phase of the game. However, Aegis of Zonia does receive an increase in damage (even if it is small) and cooldown reduction with each point. Therefore, we take a few points in Aegis of Zonia during the early laning phase.

The two components needed to make Heartseeker Strike powerful is attack damage items and multiple enemies to hit. In most of my games both of these components do not occur frequently until levels 9-10, when you'll have 3-4 levels of Heartseeker Strike anyway using the above build. Most guides recommend maxing Heartseeker Strike first, and doing this you'll have it maxed out at level 7 but you won't have enough damage items to make the ability truely strong. In most games I will have 3 or 4 points into Aegis of Zonia before switching to a "Max Heartseeker" mindset.

At level four, occasionally I'll put a second point into Spear Shot. Even though the damage increase is small, in many games it will be the most used ability throughout the early laning phase. An extra point in Spear Shot gives roughly 15-18 dmg per shot, which adds up to an extra 100 dmg when spammed 6-7 times on one champion. This can be the difference between simply harassing and sending someone back to the fountain earlier than expected.

Item Build:
Faerie Charm + Rejuv Bead + Health pot
OR
Doran's Blade + Health pot
Boots
Tiamat
finish Mercury's Treads
Last Whisper
Bloodthirster

My games usually end there, if they continue past this I'll get either Infinity Edge or Youmuu's Ghostblade, either are good choices.

Item Build Discussion:

When you think about Pantheon's early game, what are the issues? He has some mana issues, some health issues, and he needs damage to help his abilities. There is one item that has all three of these features, and that is Tiamat. Tiamat gives +42 damage, 15 hp per 5 and 4 mana per 5. On top of that you get the useful splash damage effect, which becomes incredibly powerful later in the game when you get more damage items.

It also appears that if you get the guaranteed crit on a minion/champion below 15% health, the crit damage number is what gets "splashed" to nearby creeps and champions. This makes Tiamat slightly more useful on Pantheon than the average champion. Lastly, it is much easier to build up the pieces for Tiamat than the typical BF Sword item builds, especially if you started with a Faerie Charm + Rejuv Bead at start.

For survivability, I almost always buy Mercury Treads and prefer to build a Last Whisper as it helps proc his passive Aegis Protection shield more frequently while also adding to his damage/attk speed. Aegis Protection won't save you from mages, so therefore I focus them down first in team battles to mitigate this threat.

Vampiric Scepter is next on my list which eventually builds into a Bloodthirster. If i'm playing against all spell casters, I sometimes get a Brutilizer instead since it's quicker to build and the armor pen really gets them low. But the lifesteal + Aegis Protection will help you go 1v1 against most other physical damage carries in the game.

I used to build Phage as my 2nd or 3rd item, but I have since found that using Ghost allows you to chase just as effectively without using an item slot.

Infinity Edge and/or Youmuu's Ghostblade round out the last items. Replace one with a survivability item if needed.

Summoner Spells:

Since the last patch (1.0.0.85), you can't use summoner spells before landing with his ult, making Exhaust and Flash less desirable. So I use:

Ghost - Great escape tool of course. The real selling point is that it allows you to catch up and shield stun fleeing opponents. In team battles, I prefer this over exhaust because I have successfully chased down multiple opponents due to its long duration. This is also what makes points in Aegis of Zonia pay off as you will be able to use Aegis 2-3 times in a given team battle and chase scenario.

Cleanse - Primarily used as an escape tool early game. Pantheon is considered weak by many players and you will be targetted. I can't tell you how many times it has saved me from a last second Ignite, Time Bomb, or Frost Arrow stun. Toward mid-game when you finish Tiamat and Last Whisper and go from the hunted to the hunter, Cleanse will help you shrug off enemey slows/disables to effectively chase them down with Ghost.

Exhaust - is still useful for getting those last guaranteed crits on a champion, but I find in big team fights that Ghost allows me to run down multiple enemies instead of just slowing down one.

Teleport - also a useful spell if you want to have liberal use of Grand Skyfall. You can Skyfall into a lane to kill 10+ creeps and push the lane a bit, then teleport back to your own lane or the team battle.

Runes and Masteries:

I primarily use one page for my physical dps and tank champs. So I use:

Armor Penetration Marks (red) and Quint's.
Dodge Seals (yellow)
Magic Resist Glyphs (blue)

I also prefer 21 points in Defense for masteries. The rest in offense, except one point i put into Utility for Haste (8% more movespeed and 1.5 sec longer duration using Ghost). This Defensive set up helps keep Pantheon alive, which is incredibly important during the early game and mid-game team battles, since you will be focused frequently.

Strategy:

Early Game - Doran's Blade + a health pot are perfectly fine as starting items. While it may not build into anything, I would take Doran's Blade over a Long Sword. The extra health and life steal can prevent an early fountain trip for you. However, most solo games I start with Faerie Charm + Rejuv Bead + Health pot. The health regen protects you against caster nukes and the mana regen is enough to spam Spear Shot at will. And of course, both items will combine into Tiamat shortly. Play very aggressive, as most champions rely on a spell plus an auto-attack or two which your passive shield can block. You should be able to out-harass most 1v1 or 2v2 match ups. So much that I often chase and zone out the enemey, preventing them from being in range of creeps to get experience.

Mid Game - The first trip back to the shop should be between levels 6-8 and net you boots plus a finished Tiamat, or if you face two casters I would get full Mercury Treads and a Long Sword or Pickaxe for a later Tiamat. I often buy an Elixir of Fortitude if I know I can Skyfall into a lane for a gank. Keep laning but engage in team battles as needed, the patch changes to Skyfall have helped me land a few more hero kills per game with a slightly quicker landing + Aegis stun. Farming and neutral creep kills become much easier with Tiamat's splash damage. You should be leaving mid-game with Tiamat, Mercury Treads, and Last Whisper with 1-2 Elixir of Fortitudes used.

Late Game - One important feature of Tiamat is that it makes you less reliant on using Heatseeker Strike to farm creep kills. Heartseeker is great for clearing out those creep waves, but then its on cooldown and you've spent a decent chunk of mana that could be needed in team battles. There's nothing worse than Skyfalling into battle, using Aegis stun, then realizing you don't have enough mana for a Heartseeker Strike. Once you build a Bloodthirster, your Skyfall + Heartseeker Strike and splash damage auto-attacks make a deadly AOE combo. It's not uncommon to get double and triple kills in team fights. Cleanse and Ghost to chase anyone that tries to escape. This is when the game is usually decided, however keep building towards an Infinity Edge or Youmuu's Ghostblade if they are stubborn.

Conclusion: The most interesting thing about Pantheon with this build is that it focuses on maximizing his abilities at the right time, but once you reach late game his auto-attack is what enemies truely fear as it deals cleave damage, procs his passive shield faster, steals life, and gets guaranteed crits on low health enemies. If i cannot hit two or more enemies with Heartseeker, I prefer to just stun and auto-attack.

Give the build a try and I think you'll like it.

Canis

05-12-2010

Stack damage.
Heartseeker strike.
Win.

Better to go ArP+dmg on Pantheon and spear shot to victory. People won't stand there and let you splash damage on them forever.

Louise

05-12-2010

man i wish spearshot did on-hit effects. it would make pantheon so beastly

Reign28

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
Stack damage.
Heartseeker strike.
Win.

Better to go ArP+dmg on Pantheon and spear shot to victory. People won't stand there and let you splash damage on them forever.

I agree with what you are saying. I focus on both Armor Pen and Dmg using my build. The Tiamat adds to Pantheon's dmg along with some AOE dmg. It also helps him gather gold a little faster than other builds.

Findaer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2010

I tried out rushing tiamat early after reading this and I liked it. The extra regen and mana early really helped me and the cheaper parts are great for when I have to fountain earlier than I like.

Vijaya

05-13-2010

I used to rush a BF Sword to try and get Aegis to farm, but honestly it isn't that great. They lowered the cooldown, which is nice, but I can see this build working way better for me. +1

FngKestrel

05-13-2010

I tried this out and it works well it some parts, especially the early game, but late game, I'm still finding that I need the punch of the bf sword to really be effective. His QWEQ combo doesn't proc Tiamat's effects, AFAIK.

turtlejay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2010

I want to try Pantheon again very much after reading this guide. I almost bought him after his last free week but. . .for a melee guy with a HUGE shield, he is just so fragile. I like that your guide does not focus on obtaining 6 impossible to afford items.

Now to farm up the IP so I can afford him. . .

Jay

Reign28

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FngKestrel View Post
I tried this out and it works well it some parts, especially the early game, but late game, I'm still finding that I need the punch of the bf sword to really be effective. His QWEQ combo doesn't proc Tiamat's effects, AFAIK.

Yea Pantheon def needs pure damage to be effective late game. After Tiamat + boots you could work towards a BF Sword, it will make your skills hit harder earlier. I just really prefer the Last Whisper before any BF sword items because that three item combo (tiamat, mercury treads, last whisper) makes gold farming incredibly easy. It turns the struggle of saving for a BF Sword into a "Oh, I somehow have 3k+ gold for a Bloodthirster now!"

Thats part of the reason i like this build so much. If the game drags into the late-game stages, the gold for damage items rolls in so fast that your Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, Youmuu's Ghostblade land in your inventory very quickly.

CounterCraft

05-13-2010

I don't think Pantheon needs tiamat.

If you have both HP and MP problem.

Consider going hp regen bead + 6 potion (as oppose to doran shield + 1 hp pot) and stack mana regen runes.