Losing Streaks are always larger than win streaks - why?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gorchek

08-18-2011

Warning: long post ahead

This isn't some kind of generalization. Most people ignore the good and only focus on the bad; does anyone remember that guy who saved all those puppies? But we all remember they guy who murdered all those people. The same applies to win/loss streaks.

Most players, due to a subconscious ego, expect to win. So when they do win, it's business as usual, and they forget it. Only when they lose do they actually remember these games. Most people ignore their wins, focus only on their losses, and leads to a lot of incorrect gameplay feedback.

That being said, I have never had a win streak longer than a loss streak, save once, when I won like 13 games in a row with Cho'gath and Olaf or something. Why is this?

I'd like it for someone who understands statistics or the matchmaking system to explain to me why when I go on a 15 game losing streak in Normals, I only go on an 8 game winning streak before going back into a 1:1 win/loss rotation. I actually stopped playing Normals for this very reason; I thought MM was supposed to try to give me an equal number of wins and losses.

So why are losing streaks so large? After going back to Rankeds, I had a heck of a great time. Epic wins were common; fair losses were frequent. I'd win a couple, then lose a couple, then win a few, and come out one or two games ahead. Then I lost four games, won a couple games, then lost about five more, then some more, eventually ending with a net loss of 8 games. I can only assume this monumental losing streak happened because I reached a higher rank than I had before, but I had only gone on a 3 game win streak. So why did MM counter with an eleven game losing streak?

You'd expect that after losing nearly eight games in a row, I'd win eight games in a row. Haha, no. Never going to happen. I'm going to eventually win a few games, then lose a few games, and eventually come out with a couple net wins before going on another lose streak.

tl;dr: win streaks are never as large as losing streaks. The number of times I've lost 5-10 games in a row is substantial compared to the times I've won 5-10 games in a row. Why is this? Does MM, upon sensing a few wins in a row, catapult me into a high elo game and keep me there for 5 games, expecting me to lose all of them?

And if so, why is it only my opponents have an elevated elo? Why not my allies, who seem to do just as poorly as always?

Splendid Pie

08-18-2011

It's a lot easier to lose than it is to win. o_o

MisterPistachio

08-18-2011

I rarely have loss streaks, and my win streaks are always quite large.

This is of course not ranked games.

Boatman Choosy

08-18-2011

Read further into the post, disregard this

Gorchek

08-18-2011

I'm just really frustrated, and I don't know what to do. I was somewhere around 120 wins over losses in normals, now I'm somewhere around 105-110. A net loss of about 10 games I'll never get back, because if, by some miracle, I go on a ten game win streak, that means a 15-20 game losing streak is right around the corner.

For the longest time, I was convinced something about Ranked games was right. I was winning and losing fairly evenly with very few streaks on any side. Then, without any substantial winning streak... I drop about 8 games. I'm so confused why this is happening, it's not like I suddenly forgot how to play.

MrChuckles

08-18-2011

I've noticed the opposite actually. Only twice I've ever felt I was on a losing streak slump (currently in the second), but I couldn't count the amount of times I've picked up a new champ and gone on a 5-8 game tear with them.

Plus if what you say were true, my record of 370ish win and 310ish loses in normals would be pretty unbelievable.

Arianna

08-18-2011

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about. It is very, very rare for me to have a longer loss streak then a win streak.

MisterPistachio

08-18-2011

Start playing carries and learn to carry teams?

Jacomus

08-18-2011

I'm not sure if this applies to everyone, but I feel that my long streaks of losses are due to how I take a small string of them. I definitely feel entitled to many of my wins, but when I lose I do notice it much more. A couple more and it starts to get to me. I'll play worse and worse out of frustration and, while many losses are due in part to teammates, in long streaks I'd say just as many are my own handiwork. My worst losing streak in ranked is around 7 or 8 games and my best win streak is 11 or so.

chazxz

08-18-2011

the idea that riot is supposed to use mm as a system to decide how often you get to win is false. you win when you deserve to win not when mm decides its your turn for an easy win.