Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to build up big globs of minions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

Recruiter

05-12-2010

How many mobs do you have to kill, and at what pace, in order to create a huge glob of mobs capable of downing towers (if champs don't show up)?
I have tried flat out killing lots of creep waves in advance, but then my own creep waves won't merge up, and I the champs are usually alerted to my presence and come to defend the lane.
I have tried killing off just a few, but then my minions wouldn't gather up either. Sometime it will even backfire, with my overwhelming their minions but gets wiped by their tower, causing their next wave to gather and push back.

Should I attack a bunch of them so they are all low on HP and leave asap, or should I focus on one minion at a time?

So what exactly should I do gather up the creep wave?

DCode

05-12-2010

creep waves gather up as soon as the first tower goes down usually and
they're left doing theyr thing.

zebano

05-12-2010

To be honest the only time I ever notice that I create a big glob is when the enemy has one and I go slaughter it. I usually end up with 1.5 waves right there and another coming up behind. Follow that to the next enemy wave and you can create a glob of minions strong enough to drop a tower if the enemy doesn't respond.

Shakra

05-12-2010

kill the backrows, the front row does less damage but can take more damage so the creeps will still huddle up to kill them. the good thing is because you've killed most of the damage not much minions will die

MBirk

05-12-2010

Quote:
Shakra:
kill the backrows, the front row does less damage but can take more damage so the creeps will still huddle up to kill them. the good thing is because you've killed most of the damage not much minions will die

This mostly.

If you wipe out a creep wave entirely, the "front line" will move. Your creep wave will progress, and meet the enemy's creep wave closer to their base.
If you only kill half a creep wave, your creep wave will be held up killing the rest of the enemy's creeps. It will come out of it, nearly full having been a 6vs3 mismatch. but as it now moves on to the next wave, it will still nearly be full. so it will now move on to a new 6v6 fight, but your next wave will now catch up as it was supposed to be timed to meet that enemy 6. And it will now be an about 10vs4 matchup. now this glob will tear apart the 4, and likely push a tower. Early game the tower will tear it apart fairly well, late game esp with a seige minion, that glob will do a good chunk of damage.

Xocolatl

Recruiter

05-12-2010

I see, kill the caster minions. **** them caster minions--so OP.

So what do I do with a group that has the Siege minion? Kill him along with the casters?

finalfantasyzeal

05-12-2010

Also, remember that these giant minion globs are also AOE fodder for an enemy champion, and the stand to get a great amount of gold at once. So, globbing minions does have some disadvantages as well, depending on the current state of the game.

Mr Geppetto

05-12-2010

Actually, they are. They get like 12 more damage than melee minions.

Focus caster minions in a teamfight to win.

I'd say kill the siege minion too. He hits pretty hard.

To answer your question for real though, huge gobs of minions get created by one of two things
1) AoE heals (hi alistar)
2) towers down. The set of minions that wins a minionfight has a minion advantage in the next one, so that team of minions is bound to keep pushing forward until it runs into a tower. It's a natural ebb-and-flow thing that can snowball if there are no towers until you run into the inhibitors. The longer side lanes are especially prone to minion buildup.

Reason #2 explains why early pushes are so handy (besides sight advantage).
The best thing to do IMO is push down the side towers and lay siege to mid. If there are no champs farming a lane, the enemy team should know that it's more important to defend the lane getting pushed. Keep an eye on the side lanes. When your gob of minions runs into the next tower, teleport on the minion that the tower targets (for the invulnerability it gives) and show some love.

finalfantasyzeal

05-12-2010

Interesting Mr. Geppeto.

I have always thought of that as the general strategy (get side tower's down, and transition teammates to mid for support), but never really realized that the minion ebb/flow mechanic enhances this strategy so much. Very interesting way to look at it.

Wuumaster

05-12-2010

Quote:
Mr Geppetto:
Actually, they are. They get like 12 more damage than melee minions.

Focus caster minions in a teamfight to win.

I'd say kill the siege minion too. He hits pretty hard.

To answer your question for real though, huge gobs of minions get created by one of two things
1) AoE heals (hi alistar)
2) towers down. The set of minions that wins a minionfight has a minion advantage in the next one, so that team of minions is bound to keep pushing forward until it runs into a tower. It's a natural ebb-and-flow thing that can snowball if there are no towers until you run into the inhibitors. The longer side lanes are especially prone to minion buildup.

Reason #2 explains why early pushes are so handy (besides sight advantage).
The best thing to do IMO is push down the side towers and lay siege to mid. If there are no champs farming a lane, the enemy team should know that it's more important to defend the lane getting pushed. Keep an eye on the side lanes. When your gob of minions runs into the next tower, teleport on the minion that the tower targets (for the invulnerability it gives) and show some love.

This is the kind of thing I wish I had the time and knowledge to study, heh. Thanks for the observations!