Clarity on sustain changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2011

Well summarized Classick. I agree entirely.

PriorityOne

08-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classick View Post
tl;dr The most powerful supports currently are the ones who can infinitely sustain their lane and play passively while allowing their partner to farm. This role should stay intact, but through the means of aggressiveness and confronting their opponents as opposed to playing passive. Reducing the dependency on sustenance will help broaden the spectrum of viable supports in lane, and make the lane and those characters more fun/active!
None of which explains why Wish was nerfed so hard since it's not "sustain in lane" nor explains why Sona's heal which was already worse than a healing potion took a hit.

Seriously, it took Sona's full mana pool to produce healing equivalent to a potion early game. Now it's even worse...

Poundman

08-16-2011

I understand the logic just fine. In the specific case of Soraka though, her kit does no promote aggressive play at all. nerfing her heals and buffing her offense does not change this. If she tries to be aggressive she will be destroyed. It's a kit issue specific to her, not passive supports as a whole.

Classick

Game Designer

08-16-2011
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
Except that soraka is extremely squishy and has no mobility. She has has to go in close to starcall, has no hard CC, and has to push the lane to be aggressive with starcall. You're right that aggressive supports like janna are awesome. Janna has an ideal kit that's a mixture of defensive and offensive support. Soraka's kit just doesn't really fit the bill.

Nobody is going to pick soraka any more. I don't mind though, janna is my favorite support.

This can certainly be fixed through number tweaks, for instance Soraka has one of the lowest base health / health gains per level. That is a great thing we can change to help fit her more into this role.

Vortel

08-16-2011

Needs to be read. Like every rework Riot has done, ever...

LET IT COME OUT AND PLAY IT FOR A WEEK, THEN JUDGE IT.

Patyrn

08-16-2011

Quote:
Remember that whole 'removing passivity' idea?
Yeah because nerfing heals is going to make pushing the lane a great idea. Oh wait, here comes Lee Sin for the double kill. Enjoy the loss.

Altonia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2011

Riot did a TL;DR. Awesome. Can you do that to patch notes some time?

Vulking

08-16-2011

Soraak is gonna need a MASSIVE buff to Star Call range if you want her to be as aggressive as Taric without failing horribly... actually horrible may not even be enough of a word for how awfully hard she will get bursted at the current Star Call activation range.

1st HanarSpectre

08-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanAsher View Post
Wow, when I read your description, it doesn't seem as bad. Perhaps Shurelia shouldn't have started with the #'s. In my experience, people don't do so well with #'s.
You don't need to be good with number to realized that doubling the cooldown and halving the ratios are some massive ass nerf.
But what people are really bad at however is realizing that those are not final numbers, they are still doing testing.
But then again, Riot has some funky testing team result quite often.

Caidos

08-16-2011

I agree with pushing passive supports to aggressive supports, but buffing the damage on Soraka and Sona is a terrible idea. Alistar and Taric are strong supports because they have one-point wonder CC that deters enemies from harassing. Forcing Soraka and Sona to invest multiple points into damage abilities to plink away at the enemy champions will never compare to this.