Character builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

05-11-2010

I'm interested in how people go about designing their item builds on characters. Recently I've been putting some thought into why exactly people build characters as they do

i.e. whether or not to buy a catalyst early on Ashe (Good survivability, more spammable arrow and volley, staying power in general) or not (you get your dps items earlier)

Do people go through this kind of though process when picking their builds? How many people just take stuff from a guide or port their build from a similar champion? How exactly do you go about it - do you start with a role you want to play, what the forums say is good etc...

I dunno really I'm curious and just want to see how people think.

Just as an example, this sparked off because I was thinking about improving my Ashe build (yeah, yeah she's easy to pick up but the items you build significantly affect the effectiveness with which dps characters do their job)

See catalyst has been my starting item for a while, it serves me very well in the laning phase and allows me to spam to my heart's content throughout the early and mid game which is very handy when volley is dealing pretty solid Aoe damage at that point in the game and its a much lower risk strategy.

Followed up with a Brutaliser and Last Whisper which gives me good, cost effective damage so that I can build either an IE or finish a banshees/ merc treads if I need the survivability.

The problem with this however is that I start getting damage later than I could and I'm not totally sure whether or not the survivability from catalyst could be replaced with a pair of boots two earlier in the game, combined with more cautious positioning. Anyway, this concludes my vaguely on topic, rambly thread for the month...

Sr Kundo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2010

Yes i use alot of planning when i go through the build i use for a game IE; is the enemy team tanky, ok bloodrazors, am i using a mana intense char - regen, does my team have no tanks? ok tanky items on warwick, ETC. The builds i use are highly changing depending on the enemies/teams i play with.

Dyloslawer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2010

i always just take the recommended items :\

only with ryze i go for banshee veil cuz i read on the forums its good against him >.>

Teemo Touches Me

05-11-2010

I mostly go with what kind of style I am feeling into that round, while playing as shen even though his recommended is supposed to be tankish items I mostly go for attack speed and damage or an ability power build just fo the lulz

JonTehKnight

05-11-2010

I think about the role I want to fill then come up with a build that will best help me achieve that role. Whilst taking into consideration the strong points of a champ I usually end up with fairly good builds.

Sometimes though I watch others play in LiveStreams so I can note their items, why they take those items, and how they play the champ with those items.

Guides are different beast, I try to ask my self what they were trying to accomplish with the guide/item build and decide if I think it's worthwhile before trying. I never blindly follow a guide.

cwatz

Adjudicator

05-11-2010

I build in the moment.

Am I ahead in money/levels? behind? do they have more physical or magic? A bunch of dangerous opening spells for banshees? Anyone on my team getting aegis? locket? starks? ext.

There are a ton of factors going on in any given game, so I build based on what I see.

Mr Scorpio

05-11-2010

I don't follow the recommended builds. If I'm playing a champion for the first time, I will peek at leaguecraft guides or even use Phreak's spotlight build as a starting point. After playing a few games, I'll tweak my items to either my preferences or my team's needs. For instance when I began playing Sivir, I used to always stick to this one highly rated guide. The guide builds her chalice, zerker boots, and then Stark's Fervor. I stuck with this for a few games until one match I was paired with zero physical damage classes -- all casters and Alistar. I thought... what is getting a Stark's for if no one is going to benefit from the life steal? So, I built a Bloodthirster instead. It was a minor change from one life steal item to another, but I noticed the difference in my personal performance with the BT coming out much better than SF.

I guess what I'm getting at is it is nice to have a ballpark idea of what to take so long as you can adjust it to your own playstyle or the needs of your team.

On the opposite end, I didn't look for any guides when I started playing Zilean. I understood his abilities well enough that a guide wasn't necessary. I always begin with 2x Faerie Charms -- not only does this give me mana regen to spam bombs, but I can see how the game is going and choose to build a Soul Shroud for the health, CDR, and mana, or I can build one of the charms into Tear and make something from that (like the archangel's staff) if I want to rush AP. I actually prefer Shroud on TT just because it gives everything I need to stay alive and keep pressure with bombs.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

05-11-2010

How much difference do some of those variables make though? I certainly see what you're saying but I've never really found many situations where it would be advisable to change my build past moving more of the survivability earlier...

More change based on enemy team comp on TT but still...

Sr Kundo

05-11-2010

Veil for caster heavy, which boots i chose (IE dodge vs snare resist), whether i need more dps for tanks or just more survivability, Do i have a high amount of gold and want to skip ahead to get more damage? did the roam phase come earlier in the game if so i want more burts. ETC

TheTruhan

05-11-2010

I make my builds after some quite thinking, and then the idea goes boom and flourish in my head. Fantasy-wise you can say it is as I described. In actual truth, I just think up of the pros and cons of that hero and I build my item build leaning towards either their pros or cons or a mix of them.

Then from there I analyze my build and see it's possible weakness. To be sure of my analysis I test it against BOT, they're enough to give me a feel of the build, its strengths and weaknesses. If I see my build is counterable, I would find a way in which I can rearrange the build somehow if I ever needed to recounter the counter for my build.

In games, I usually go by my standardized build which I have made. The only times when I would change from it is when the opposing team holds a huge amount of threat (I view this from the skills of the player,s their builds, their champions). For example, I won't get BV (Banshee's Veil) simply because they have a lot of casters, if I feel like they hold no threat for me I won't buy it, if they do then yes I'll buy BV.

My builds tend to be static, but when changes are needed I change it. Also sometimes I make optional routes to my build depending on various situations (this is done when I made the basis of my builds)