Runes FAQ

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Larias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

05-10-2010

Q: What are runes?
A: Runes are an out-of-game way, similar to the mastery system, to add additional customization to your summoner and champion. There are 4 types of runes: Marks (red), Seals (yellow), Glyphs (blue), and Quintessences. Marks are generally damage; Seals are generally defense and Glyphs are generally utility. You unlock rune slots when you gain summoner levels. You unlock rune slots in this order: Marks, Seals, Glyphs, Marks, Seals, Glyphs, Marks, Seals, Glyphs, Quintessense, and so on.

The large ones are called Quintessences, which are worth much more than other runes. There are a wide variety of stats available in the Quintessence slot, including certain types of runes, such as run speed, which are *only* available in Quintessence form.

There are three tiers of runes as well: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3

To see a list of all the runes, follow the link: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/runes/3

Q: How do you earn runes?
A: You can purchase runes from the store in-game using IP. From levels 1-9, you can only use Tier 1 runes. From levels 10-19, you can only use Tier 1 and Tier 2 runes. From levels 20-30, you can use any tier runes.

Q: How do you upgrade runes from first tier to second tier?
A: 5 random rank 1 runes = 1 random rank 2 rune. 5 Random rank 2 runes = 1 random rank 3 rune. Additionally, 2 runes of the same tier can be combined for a random rune of the same tier (2 tier 3 runes = 1 tier 3 rune)

Q: How many runes can you have equipped?
A: There are 9 Marks, 9 Seals, and 9 Glyphs slots when you reach summoner level 30. In addition, there are 3 Quintessence slots.

Q: If Marks are offensive, Seals are defensive, and Glyphs are utility, what happens to my 9 wasted slots if I don't want one of them?
A: You can find runes of weaker stats (for example, a 5hp Glyph rune instead of the 15hp Seal rune) if you are only interested in stacking certain stats. While they are weaker, it does give additional customization.

Q: Will I be able to switch rune sets quickly or do I need to change runes manually before every game?
A: You will be able to save 2 "sets" of runes that can be switched to quickly before a game.

Q: Is the combiner supposed to be random? For example, can I not merge 5 tier 2 runes that are +dmg to get a tier 3 rune that is +dmg?
A: Yes, it is supposed to be random. The idea is that you can cannibalize surplus runes into better ones.

Q: Can I have the same runes on pages 1 and 2?
A: Yes! If you wish, you can have the same runes on both pages. This means that you don't need to buy 6 HP quintessences if you want HP Quintessences on both pages, for example.

Q: What are the differences between Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary runes?
A: Each rune is designed to go in a specific colored slot. For example, +HP is supposed to go in to the Seal slot. However, if you wish, you can put this rune in other slots, for a weaker effect. Secondary runes are slightly weaker in the slots than Primary runes. Tertiary are much weaker.

Edited by ARedPoppy

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2010

A note on the pattern of which you gain more rune slots.

Red, Yellow, Blue, Red, Yellow, Blue, Red, Yellow, Blue, Quintessense, and so on.

Shifu Arrrgghh

Recruiter

05-11-2010

Also, in my opinion, i think its better to just save your IP and wait till u reach lvl 20 and buy tier 3 runes instead of buying tier 1-2, cause your going to have to upgrade to tier 3.

Ivandir

05-11-2010

I would also recommend for any beginers to start combining 15 IP Tier:1 runes that way you get some cool Tier:2 runes for much less of the cost.

NoDebate

05-11-2010

I would strongly advise new players to save their IP until level twenty to buy runes. By level twenty you should have a good couple thousand IP to buy runes and can instantly fill up 2/3 of your rune book with Tier 3 runes. You will most certainly notice a boost to your performance in game right after you hit level twenty. Also, do not buy anymore than four or five types of runes. Have one type of rune dedicated to one color each (red, yellow, blue, quints). For example...

Do: Buy x9 Armor Penetration Runes for the Red Slots.
Dont: Buy nine different red runes for your Red Slots.

Theostru

05-11-2010

Gotta emphasize what others have said. If you plan to be a strongly competitive player, save your IP til you reach level 20. It's fine if you don't, of course, but you'll have a greater edge if you wait.

Also, what NoDebate touched on is huge - concentrate your runes for maximum gain.

A last point to mention is that there are always debates between which are better - runes that give you a flat bonus or ones that give you a per level bonus (meaning at level 18 they do more than a flat rune does, but at level 1 they don't). A lot of folks, including myself, think flat bonus runes are better. For me, personally, I prefer that early game advantage where every little bit helps.

Just some things to keep in mind. Happy hunting!

Zaknafeîn

05-11-2010

I saved 7.5k IP to buy runes with at level 20...and now that I am level 20, it is not allowing me to buy Tier 3 runes!

Larias

Adjudicator

05-11-2010

Sorry, it's a bug Torric.

You need to be level 21 to purchase T3 runes.

Zaknafeîn

05-11-2010

Thanks for the info. Excellent FAQ, by the way.

Conda

05-11-2010

thanks for the help, excellent FAQ

1234511 ... 15