New Free Champions (Week 25)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oddparent1

05-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Why did we rotate so quickly this week?

Well we noticed that a lot of you make solo practice games when we rotate the Champions. We basically have the same number of people on, but more games in progress, which takes up more server capacity. We also noticed the same thing happening when we release a new Champion (like Akali). We're trying out something new where we rotate the Champions before the patch comes out in the hopes that you guys will play your 1-person practice games with rotated Champions then, freeing up the space for the other practice games once we release a new Champion.

This week should be normal length.

Also we're a little behind on choosing next week's Champion, but the plus side is I'm reading your suggestions in real-time (did someone ask for Mordekaiser?)

- RiotChris
Twitch wasn't free for a long time too

Urobolus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2010

YES, FOR GOD'S SAKE, PLEASE! I want my Twitchy!

Mailius

05-10-2010

Sounds like we might see the Akali patch this week then-- it'd certainly be an improvement to not have the servers beaten into a pulp by both the new set of free heroes and any new heroes.

I second amumu getting put in an upcoming week given that he's getting changes with the next patch.

Edit: and I hate weeks with Twitch.

Tijoken

05-10-2010

omg if i have to play with another noob Garen I'm gonna kill myself =/

RiotChris

Director of Publishing

05-10-2010
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Ah yes, Twitch, the most requested and most hated Champion.

- RiotChris

aibohPhobia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-10-2010

Oh God... Zilean... As much as I love playing him... I know how much of a pain in the ass he is... I am looking forward to playin Rammy again though...

DeltaDrifter

05-10-2010

why the change so early? i thought Wednesdays you normally change the champs?

i was planning on playing anivia, since i finally had the time.. but...

Starshard

05-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Why did we rotate so quickly this week?

Well we noticed that a lot of you make solo practice games when we rotate the Champions. We basically have the same number of people on, but more games in progress, which takes up more server capacity. We also noticed the same thing happening when we release a new Champion (like Akali). We're trying out something new where we rotate the Champions before the patch comes out in the hopes that you guys will play your 1-person practice games with rotated Champions then, freeing up the space for the other practice games once we release a new Champion.

This week should be normal length.

Also we're a little behind on choosing next week's Champion, but the plus side is I'm reading your suggestions in real-time (did someone ask for Mordekaiser?)

- RiotChris
Then restructure how Champions are rotated.

Instead of having 10 new champions in one shot, spread them out.
2 champions cycled in and 2 champions cycled out on each day, Monday through Friday, with no changes on Saturday and Sunday. The champions cycled in last Monday are cycled out after one week and replaced by 2 new champions. The cycle then repeats Monday through Friday. With that kind of system, the spikes in practice games would be much smaller and the numbers of normal games would be much more consistent.

Peach Plum Pair

05-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshard View Post
Then restructure how Champions are rotated.

Instead of having 10 new champions in one shot, spread them out.
2 champions cycled in and 2 champions cycled out on each day, Monday through Friday, with no changes on Saturday and Sunday. The champions cycled in last Monday are cycled out after one week and replaced by 2 new champions. The cycle then repeats Monday through Friday. With that kind of system, the spikes in practice games would be much smaller and the numbers of normal games would be much more consistent.
Obviously one day is enough to get a feel for a champion.

Matija Dogan

05-10-2010

Free Karthus. Aww man, and just when I got the hang of low hp mind games, with KATARINA. Which is also free. Dude what am I going to do this week?