Nexus' Counter Intiutive Guide to AP Nasus!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexus Crawler

08-12-2011

Nexus' Counter Intiutive Guide to AP Nasus!

[Intro]

Lets start things off by getting to know me. I've been playing since the weekend that Mordenkaiser was released back in Febuary of 2010. I've played every champion (other then Yorick and Leona) half a dozen times at least and mained Warwick, Nidalee, Gragas, and Nasus. I've maintained a positive Win:Loss ratio of at least 3:1 through out my LoL career and at my peak; before my daughter was born, had a 7:1 Win:Loss or better. I'm not saying I'm "Pro" because I'm not. I'm just giving some basic stats on myself to show some of my experience. As Nasus I have played well over 200 games. A majority of which are wins. I'm not on or able to play as much for the last few months due to my daughters needs, but I have however tried to keep myself up to date on news, and updates. It is because of this and the recent patch that I decided to try and build a AP version of one of our most impressive, and outright awesome Champions. I'll try to bring as much reasoning into this guide as I can. If I miss something feel free to let me know. I encourage other players to offer suggestions, ask questions, generally discuss Nasus or my build, and other-wise try and improve both the information of my Guide and their skill with the Dog of War.

[Updates]

8/13/11 - Version 1.0.1 of the guide is here! Started a new format, and added new information. Now 10% more shiny. v1.0.1 is complete and current up to and including the Runes section. I will continue working and hopefully finish up the remainder soon.

8/12/11 - Wrote the frame work of the guide, and generally improved it where ever I could. Added new sections.

[News]

Patch 1.0.0.123 released!

Nasus

Attack range increased to 125 from 110

Soul Eater life steal increased at earlier levels to 14/17/20% from 10/15/20

Wither cooldown reduced to 15/14/13/12/11 seconds from 15 seconds at all ranks Mana cost ruded to 80 from 100

Wither will now reach its max slow even if its duration is reduced(ie: by tenacity)

Spririt Fire no longer has a 0.5 second delay before taking effect Now deals half of it's damage initially and the other have over the duration -- initial 55/95/135/175/215 (+0.6 ability power) Magic Damage and 11/19/27/35/43 (+0.12 ability power) Magic Damage each second for the next 5 seconds

Fixed a bug where Siphoning Strike sometimes gained extra lifesteal

[Champion Overview]

Nasus is a Melee Tough type champion who provides good to great AD damage, and has survivability. While he has no hard CC to speak of, he has debatably one of the best slows/debuffs in the game, an extremely powerful ultimate, and the only skill in the game that scales infinitely (unless you count Veigars AP farming). Some of Nasus strengths is that he can zone out the enemy team in the lane, has nice lane sustainability due to his passive life steal and Siphoning Strike farming, hits like a 2 ton truck on steriods, and has a very nice Armor Reduction Debuff to help both you and your team. This is all on top of that aforementioned Slow/AS Debuff, and ultimate, that gives HP, AoE %MaxHP damage, AD, and has scored me a Ace with it's damage alone. He does have his weaknesses. He has no hard CC, no escapes (other than a single target slow) or gap closers, and is Melee.

[Quick Start]

For those of you who are just looking for a quick little summary on masteries, runes, item build and skilling order... Well here you are. This section has no depth but you're not expecting it are you?

Masteries

9/0/21 - Make sure to get Improved Exhaust, Archmage's Savvy, Sorcery, and Archaic Knowledge in Offense, and Awareness, Meditation, Quickness, and Intelligence in Utility.

1/18/11 - More or less the same. Improved Exhaust in offense, Resistance, Hardiness, Strength of Spirit and Veteran Scars in defense, and Awareness and Meditation in utility.

Runes

Marks - 9x ArPen
Seals - 9x MP5/Level
Glyphs - 9x MR/Level
Quints - 3x ArPen

Items

Dorans Ring - Starter Item, Mostly useful for it's HP, and MP5 early.

Sheen - Core Item; Mana, and it's proc effect applies to Q. Builds into Lichbane later and provides a little AP for E and R.

Boots - Merc Treads for heavy casters/CC, Ninja Tabi's for heavy AS/AD Champions.

Rylias - Mid/Late game core; provides HP, AP to later feed Lichbane, and a slow on E and R.

Items 3 plus - Situational; Guardian Angel for a mix, Frozen Heart for Armor, CD reduction, and Aura AS debuff, Banshee's for MR, HP, and CC Mitigation, Randiuns for Armor, HP, slight CD reduction, AoE Slow/Debuff, and passive. After a situational finish Lichbane, work on your second situational as needed and finish either Void staff if they're stacking MR, or Rabadons Death Cap for the extra AP.

[Skill Overview]

Souleater - Proves natural life steal 14/17/20 at levels 1/6/11. Decent passive; provides a bit more survivability, and some HP recovery. Can pretty easily get over 80 per Q mid-game or later. Mostly useful for early-game laning, and for "healing" up after a fight.

Siphoning Strike - Youre bread and butter skill. Resets your auto attack timer giving you burst, applies on-hit-effects, and does 30/50/70/90/110 plus total attack damage, plus 3 per enemy killed. Early game last hit with this. Constantly; Every time it is up. Just 20 minion kills will give it a 60 damage buff, more than a B.F. Sword. You may be asking me why this is our bread and butter. Simply because it is not Magic oriented. This suppliments our Magic Damage with physical. In effect turning us into something of a hybrid, and makes us useful and dangerous through out the game. This skill can and will rip down towers, inhibitors, champions, and nexus' alike. At 25 minutes in, I've had this hitting the enemy nexus for 500 damage every 3 seconds. Synergizes extremely well with Sheen, Lichbane, ArPen, Spirit Fire Armor Reduction, and our Fury of the Sands.

Wither - Our slow, AD Carry shut down device, and only escape mechanism. This skill has a nice range allowing us to close the gap, enable a gank, or turn AD/AS champs like Xin, Trist, or Vayne into nothing more than a annoyance. Wither reduces Move Speed and Attack Speed by 35% increasing to 38/41/44/47/50% for 5 seconds. Withers Tenacity bug has finally been fixed so it will now debuff for the maximum amount over the duration. Along with the bug fix Withers CD and Mana have been reduced as well. It now costs 80 Mana at all ranks, and only has a 15/14/13/12/11 CD instead of a flat 15 at all ranks.

Spirit Fire - Our farming tool, harass, and zone control. This is what will let you push, 1v2 a lane for a jungler, farm up gold, and do substantial damage with Siphoning Strike. The base damage on this skill is decent; doing 55/95/135/175/215 (0.6 Ability Power) initially, and another11/19/27/35/43 (0.12 Ability Power) per second while giving a Armor Debuff of 20/25/30/35/40 to all enemy champions standing in the AoE.

Fury of the Sands - Our face melter. Timing on this skill is what makes or breaks a good Nasus player. Too early and the enemy team takes off
running at top speed leaving you in your Deific Awesomeness to lay down your Divine Vengeance on a few creeps. It's rather disappointing when that happens so wait for both sides to commit, but don't wait so long that you'll be killed outright without Fury of the Sands HP buff. This beast of a ultimate gives you 300/450/600 HP and does 3/4/5% (0.01 Ability Power) of Max HP (240 damage max) to all enemies in the area, converting this damage into bonus Attack Damage. Very nice ultimate, does nice damage, gives AD which makes your attacks, and Siphoning Strike. With decent AP this does a considerable amount of damage to everyone, and allows you to stack up AD much faster. This skill also Synergizes with Rylias pretty well. Between Rylias, and Sheen you're eating 4-6% Max HP per second of any one in the area, while it has the additional effect of slowing for 15% making it harder for them to run (even more so with Lichbanes 7% Move Speed and Quickness' 3%), or position themselves for 15 seconds.

[Skills]

Soul Eater - (Passive) Nasus drains his foe's spiritual energy, giving him a natural 14/17/20% lifesteal.

Siphoning Strike - (Active) Nasus's Next basic attack will deal (30/50/70/90/110), +1 per total attack damage, plus Siphoning Strikes passive bonus damage. (Passive) Siphoning Strike permanently gains 3 damage if it kills an enemy unit. On a 8/7/6/5/4 second cooldown.

Wither - Nasus ages his target over 5 seconds, initially slowing their Movement and Attack Speeds by 35% and increasing to 38/41/44/47/50% over the duration. On a 15/14/13/12/11 cooldown.

Spirit Fire - Nasus unleashes a spirit flame at a location dealing 55/95/135/175/215 (+0.6 Ability Power), and 11/19/27/35/43 (+0.12 Ability Power) per second for 5 seconds. Additionally enemies in the area have their armor reduced by 20/25/30/35/40.

Fury of the Sands - Nasus becomes empowered in the sandstorm for 15 seconds, gaining extra health (+300/450/600). While the storm rages, he drains a percentage of nearby enemies max health (3/4/5%) (+0.01 Ability Power) each second (max 240 magic damage per second per enemy) and converts this into bonus attack damage for himself.

[Runes]

I've touched lightly on this in the Quick Start section but I will try to be a little more in-depth here giving reasons, and explainations as I go.

Marks - 9x ArPen
Seals - 9x MP5/Level
Glyphs - 9x MR/Level
Quints - 3x ArPen

Marks - The reason why I'm suggesting ArPen is because it synergizes well with your most spammable skill Siphoning Strike, core item, the debuff on Spirit, and the AD gain from your Ultimate. Going MrPen, AD, Defense, MR, or HP may also work. It depends on the play style, and needs of each player. I find that for me ArPen works, it shores up my AP build with AD damage making it harder for the enemy team to counter by just building MR, and it will make you hit like a you wouldn't believe with Sheen.

Seals - Nasus is another Mana dependant Champion, like many others. He's constantly spamming Q. He's using his E to harass, control the flow of the lane, farm (both in lane and in the jungle), and push. Wither and Spirit Fire have pretty heavy Mana costs; 80 and 70/85/100/115/130 respectfully, while Nasus doesn't have the best base Mana Regen or Mana per level to off-set this. Other possible approaches are HP/Level, Armor/Level, Dodge, and Flat HP. You're a beefy off-tank, any thing defensive can help him at this role.

Glyphs - A pretty typical set up for any tank, or off-tank role. Magic bust has always been a problem for everyone. Even Champions with a Natural scale as they level. More never hurts. In a more balanced team composition this should allow you to get Armor items early on while still retaining MR tankiness. For some other choices; Flat MR, MP5 if you find you're Mana hungry and don't have or took MP5 with Seals, Flat CDR, CDR/Level; while I consider these ok, they're worthy of a mention. The lower your CD's the more up time of your E, and R giving you a increased damage output albeit with reduced survivability.

Quints - There's a few nice choices here. I settled on ArPen deciding to off-set this by building situationally, and playing a little more conservatively early on. Which has the added benefit of extending my laning sustainability by reducing the amount of Mana I throw around early, or my HP from attempting to get a kill or assist. If you're looking for more durability there's Flat HP, HP/Level, Dodge, Flat Armor, Armor/Level, Flat MR and MR/Level. For a different flavor of offense there's Flat CD, and CD/Level.

[Masteries]:

There's quite a few ways to go here. I've been running 9/0/21 trying to utilize my strengths here, and building situationally to effectively off-tank. However you could just as easily go a different route. I'll try to list a couple for now and when I think of more, or someone suggests a good one I'll add more.

9/0/21 - My current build. As I mentioned in the previous episode, I try to focus my strength and make myself more of a threat. The more threat I am the more likely I feel it is that I'll be targeted. In offense the big keys really are Sorcery and Achiac Knowledge like most AP champs. I take Savvy Archmage; because I need 3 points some where and with Lichbane it will add a bit more damage, Improved Exhaust; because I take the spell, and it offers an addition CC element to a CC light Champion. If you plan to jungle or are taking smite to steal buffs then you might as well take Improved Smite. Over in utility the keys are Meditation; we're Mana hungry, and skill spamming, Awareness; More experience is always good, and Intelligence; because lower CD means more last hits, and a better fed SS, along with more up time of your ult.

1/18/11 - Your typical tanky dps build. This offers you the addition CC element, as well as lane ability, Armor, MR, a bit more HP Regen for the laning phase or Dodge. I'll skip the other trees here and just focus on defense keys. Resistance and Hardiness; MR, and Armor are good on tanks, off-tanks, and any one wanting aforementioned tankiness, Strength of Spirit; a bit more HP Regen especially early is always a good thing. It helps us stay in lane longer, thus farm more gold, or give us enough HP between "pokes" for us to maybe get in that First Blood. Or if you prefer, there is Nimbleness; Dodge on a tank, off-tank or any one wanting to be tanky.. Also good. It stacks with Runes if you took those so it adds synergy, and with Ninja Tabi's if you're planning on building those in the correct situation. Veteran Scars; more HP. Nothing wrong with more HP period, end of story, game the frag over man!

ATTENTION: Under Construction! Fines Doubled!

From this point on folks I haven't reworked any thing. I'll continue plugging away and trying to make a complete, comprehensive, and hopefully legible guide. We now return you to your regular schedule program.

[Summoner Spells]:

There's no end all beat all way of any thing. Summoner Spells included. My personal favorites are Flash/Exhaust. That gives me an additional CC with a damage mitigator (which is nice). Ghost/Flash, Flash/Ignite, Ghost/Ignite, Clarity/Flash, and Etc. all would work some better and some worse depending on your play style and your oppponents. Use what suits you best, what you're comfortable with, or what will help shore up your team, or exploit a weakness in the enemy.

[Item Build]:

The core that has been working for me and that I've put the most thought into is as follows:

Dorans Ring - while the AP here is ok, the extra HP, and Mana Regen are some what important for the laning phase. Also this makes it more
viable to get our Lichbane earlier than we might other wise reasonably choose to do so.

Boots of Speed - During my first trip back I always pick up my first pair of boots. This enables us to situate ourselves better, chase, evade, and last hit more effectively.

Sheen - For the second trip back and to finish off our core by getting Sheen, starting with Saphire Crystal if you're funds don't allow an immediate purchase. Then finish it up doggedly.

Item 3 - This is where you finish off your boots. Merc Treads are always a consideration, along with Ninja Tabi's although your dodge isn't your strong suit. If you're looking for something more offensive like I some times am and you're not taking Mercs because the enemy team is lacking in the CC department, then I would suggest picking up Boots of Lucidity. 15% CD on top of your 9% already reduces your SS CD time to 3 seconds at Rank 5 increasing your damage output considerably not even including the reduced down time on your ult and E.

Item 4 - Here's where things get a little more complex. Now we start building situationally working towards our other standard items. I usually start with Giants Belt (ultimately ending up as Rylias at some point but not yet). If you're more in the mind for pure defense then get either Scale Mail, or Negatron Cloak depending on enemy composition (MR for primarily "casters" or Armor for physicals).

Item 5 - Here's where you pick up what you didn't last time. If you got a Giants Belt, then it's time for Armor or MR. If you got one of the first two, then get Giants Belt.

Item 6 - Now it's time to finish off Rylias. Rylias is absolutely badass on Nasus. By now you might be asking me.. "How so Nexus?" and I will tell you. It works wonderfully with his Ult. Here's a Ult that provides a pretty good AoE effect siphoning off the Max HP of the enemy while giving you more AD for your SS. It does Magic Damage, and has a AP ratio which Rylias will improve giving you at least 4% Max HP as damage per second for 15 seconds, but most importantly it provides an AoE slow that effects every thing in the general area reducing their speed by 15%. If you've ever played Nasus you know how annoying it is when you pop your Ult and they run like Hell. This helps to counter that reaction so you and your team can out position, out chase, and hopefully reduce the enemy team to nothing but a smoldering pile of Champion Jelly. In effect it's much like getting Rylias on Amumu so you can AoE them with Despair.

Item 7 plus - From this point on you'll probably be building more situationally. If you're doing well than it might be time to pick up Lichbane for the damage (which is about even right now), or as a little extra counter to the magic damage the enemy team is throwing around. If you're doing fantastic it might be time to start working on a Death Cap. If you're starting to fall a little behind, getting either a Abyssal Scepter, or Banshee's for more MR might be the thing. Another Scale Mail for more Armor or to build into GA later. My item recommendations for the things you may want to get are as follows:

Scale Mail - Hourglass; more AP, Armor and a nice active. Guardian Angel; Armor, MR, and a second life every 5 minutes.

Negatron Cloak - Abyssal Scepter; AP, MR, and a AoE MR reduction debuff to go with your Armor Debuff. Banshee's Veil; HP, Mana, MR, and a spell shield every 30 seconds. Force of Nature; (A worthy mention with your Ult bonus HP and Rylias) MR, HP Regen, and more MS.

Other worthy mentions - Void Staff; a good sacrifice for Death Cap when the enemy team is stacking MR while still providing a good amount of AP and over-all damage output.

A finished build should probably look something like:

Lichbane, Merc Treads, Rylias, Death Cap, Banshee's, Guardian Angel - This finalized build offers reasonable Armor, MR, HP, spell shield, and revive (2905 HP, 146 Armor, and 220 MR) while still providing 390 AP. Total effective HP - 8218!

Or for a more AD oriented build something like:

Lichbane, Merc Treads, Rylias, Death Cap, Randiuns, Guardian Angel - again this offers reasonable protection with Armor, MR, HP, built in attack debuff and revive. It also provides a nice active, some HP Regen, and a slight CD buff (2830 HP, 221 Armor, and 170 MR) while you still retain a 390 AP for skills and Lichbane. This translates into an extra 390 damage on your Q, 234 bonus damage from E (an extra 47 damage per second after the initial burst) and almost an extra 4% Max HP per second (which increases the rate of your AD bonus) from your ult. Total effective HP - 8360!

[Skilling Order]:

R/E/Q/W

My first skill is almost always Q. This allows me to start farming SS for the damage, improving my odds of last hitting, and adding a bit more early game damage seeing as it is on the lowest CD timer. After this I usually end up taking E for farming, and zoning. Although if we're doing well already and planning a gank then consider Wither. Next I finish off my three skills and level SF again at 4 and SS at 5. After that I pick up my Ultimate, and continue leveling SF. After this I usually follow my skill priority unless game circumstances require that to change.

If you're 1v2 laning I usually take SF at 1 and SS at 2. This gives you the ability to farm and last hit even against two opponents while even still pushing the lane if you had to.

I typically prioritize Spirit Fire for zoning, farming, pushing, and harassment in the early game. You can farm and push ridiculously easy. Later on like Morde on steriods. Early game you're going to want to use this sparingly. It's mana cost is pretty high and you're MP5 runes haven't kicked in enough to be very effective but by level 4-5 you should be able to do decent enough damage to last hit minions with ease, throw it behind the enemy teams minion wave to push back and zone out the enemy or plain and simply make them hurt for a last hit or two. In a fight this boosts your damage significantly, and that of your AD allies. Just wait to throw it down until after the fight as been initiated and both sides are committed as it will be wasted and only do half damage if they run. Also good to throw down on top of a low HP runner to nuke them and get a easy kill. Spirit Fires CD is fairly high; a bit more than 10 seconds "base" if you use my 9/0/21 mastery suggestion so use it as needed picking your spots.

You're Q is your bread and butter. This is what will make you a force to be reconned with and will either make or break a Nasus player. Early game make sure to farm this up. Last hit with it every time it is up. Just 20 last hits with this and you're sitting on a AD boost of more than a BF sword. And with your Sheen this will hurt...Alot. This skill will melt towers mid to late game hitting easily for around 300 damage, and late game for well over 400 on about a 3 second CD. Learn to use it. Learn to love it. Whenever you can "poke" the enemy tower with it. You may not destroy it right away but a few THWACKS for 200-300 will make it a choice target when it is time to push.

On to the next skill. Wither. This is a nice way of shutting down most carries. It has a pretty nice range, it slows them allowing you to catch them. Since you're a Melee bruiser type this is important. It puts you in range to do what you do best. Curb stop their faces with your hopefully my now farmed and infamous SS. Another thing to note is that if you're a little over extended and you see a angry Garen jump out the brush from behind you can just throw this on him and stroll right on by back to your tower. If you're of a mind (and have plenty of mana) you can add insult to injury by throwing down a SF on them and watch them cook a little. In a team fight, throw this down on their Vayne, Tryn, Trist, or Xin and watch as their damage falls short and is more annoying than any thing else. This will absolutely wreck any AS/AD carry, or let you chase down anyone and plant your staff right up their proverbial rear.

And last but most definitely not least in your already impressive arsenal is your ultimate. This can and will melt the enemy team. When combined with Rylias this will provide a rather large AoE slow (15%) for 15 seconds as the damage on the Ult ticks off 3-10% of their entire teams Max HP per second and boosts your (again hopefully well farmed) SS. This should make it much harder for their team to position themselves, wreak general havok, and will make you a serious enough threat that they have to take you seriously (and probably focus you). If all that wasn't enough this beast of a Ultimate also grants you a seriously nice buff to your HP which can be used to get kills, or deny your enemy kills by buffing yourself up enough to either force them off you, or enough to make a "strategic retreat" (a nice way of saying run the F away). On a final note I can't stress how important it is to save until after the enemy has been intiated and committed. If you use it too soon you'll be stuck chasing as they're the ones that make that strategic retreat and leave you're impressive deific self on CD.

[The Laning Phase]:

This is were Nasus is at his weakest. No folks, I'm not saying he's weak. Just not as strong as late game. He's hard on his mana when harassing or zoning the enemy team with his E, He's constantly spamming Q to farm up his damage, and occationally using Wither to get a poke in or escape a maruading Tryndamere.

If you followed my recommendation you've picked up Dorans Ring and are almost certainly heading off to hang out in the brush (unless you crazy SR players are actually smart and don't try to brush it and jump the opposition reguardless of the outcome) to wait for the game to start. Hopefully you have a laning partner who can help harass but if not then you're mostly hanging back and trying to slowly build your SS up to Godly level. Once you level up a time or two you can start attempting to harass and zone your opposites from the minions and experience. one way to go about this is if they're standing in your wave just toss down SF and watch them run or burn. If you and your mate already pushed them back then Drop a SF on them right in the middle of the lane doing some damage and making them move off it. If one of them comes forward and the other back your team my be able to get a kill if they're low. If so throwing down Wither or Exhaust right here might be just the thing. However do not over extend and give them a kill. It's still early and you have lots of time to steam roll them.

If things are going well and top or jungle isn't coming around to gank or harass you then just enjoy your farming and look for opportunities. One thing to note is with Rank 3 SF or higher you should be able to melt through minions pretty quickly. Don't push so far you are over extended. In any serious play, (reasonably high ELO, or difficult normal game) you will get ganked. While you may survive this your partner may not. It's better to let them come to you. Let them bring their minions right under your tower, last hit like always with SS and as necessary with SF and call that gank.

[Ganking]:

Most of the time you've either pushed your minions up too far and are just looking for something to do. Most of the time you can farm Neutrals off in the jungle some where but other times you're going to notice that solo has over reached. This is what we like. If you have flash you can go right over a wall, behind them and let your buddy chase them into you. Most of the time they'll run, but if not you can come out of no where still and help demolish the Soon-To-Be-Champion-Jelly shutting them down with Wither, and proceeding to blast them with spiritual flame reducing their Armor and pretending your three again at the Whack-A-Mole game.

And other times you're letting your counters push right up to your tower, and calling your solo or jungler in to beat them to a bloody pulp. your jungler will probably come from behind and you don't really need to go 3v2 if you don't have to. Wait for your chance, Wither the weakest, and proceed to show him "a good time" by violently abusing the poor fool with your big.. Stick.

[Team Fights]:

Now is the time to climax.. No, no.. Not that way. I'm talking of course about End Game team fights, pushes, counter pushes, grabbing Nashor, or preventing your enemies from doing the same. Now in a Team fight you're primary job is to do a few things. First and foremost; shut down the enemy AD carry with Wither. Second.. And secondary; blow your ult, wreak general havok, make them fear you, and beat that enemy carry like the pimply face red headed step child he inevitably is. Thirdly and finally; you will be taking damage. This should allow your carry to unleash hell on earth or if he gets focused then hopefully between Withering their carry, popping your ult, and QQ'ing the holy bejezzus out of their carry; every one either dies or runs away. A couple things to stress; never ever pop your ult until the team fight is under way. That is the big one and I cannot stress that enough. The use of SS, and Sands marks if you're a bad nasus player, a good one, or Deific Vengeance Personified! The next is some what ironically SF. Wait for the fight to start, and for the team to commit. Then blast them. While the damage is nice, the biggest advantage SF has in a team battle is it's Armor Reduction. Dropping the entire enemy team 40 Armor (not including your own ArPen) will hurt them and make your AD's that much more potent. It is a pretty significant advantage for your team.

...To be continued!

ljnorton

08-19-2011

i like it, i will check it out...i just hate using dead end items like dorans ring. But it does make sense.

NŠitiBR

08-19-2011

I really need to know: Why Lichbane > Trinity Force, if Nasus Q is AD? Lichbane dmg proc with AP.... and you have... like 50 AP, 80 AP? E and R are only mini-boost for me (Less armor and more health/mgc dmg). Btw, the ratios for E and R are horribles hehe

I play with Nasus too

hi im deluded

08-19-2011

Trin force would roughly add 150damage.

He would actually have around 200ap, making lich bane a better pick for AP. (Lichbane and rylai alone is 160)

Also, his scaling isn't actually horrible. 1.2 scaling on your E if they stand full duration, and the ult scaling is low because it is % damage. Ive tried AP nasus before, and despite going stupidly positive in the match, winning the lane, and surviving almost every teamfight, i was still trolled and blamed when we finally lost the match after a mid-baron gank.

NŠitiBR

08-19-2011

Thanks

Never tried Lichbane + Rylay... (Making tests today xD)

Nexus Crawler

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by N?itiBR View Post
I really need to know: Why Lichbane > Trinity Force, if Nasus Q is AD? Lichbane dmg proc with AP.... and you have... like 50 AP, 80 AP? E and R are only mini-boost for me (Less armor and more health/mgc dmg). Btw, the ratios for E and R are horribles hehe

I play with Nasus too
As our helpful friend suggested, Lichbane adds on your AP as AD to your SS (assuming you're 18 around 150; if you're lower the scale improves). So with just the Two items you gain about 10 dmg (before your 0.6 AP/level mastery) with Deathcap you have base 390 which gives you 240 damage more than TriForce. There is a trade out however. AP Nasus is durable but less so than AD Nasus and has a slightly slower MS.

A note on why to improve your AD damage; at a certain point in the game people are going to start stacking either Armor or MR. This provides a good mix of the two. You do pretty nice AP damage, and still have your AD on Q to suppliment it.

Again as our helpful friend pointed out, his AP Ratio's on E are actually in a team fight extremely good. One of the best in the game, and even 0.6 is decent enough for good farming (better items, more exp, and so on) but also to Zone your oppenents. with just Rylias you're doing 215 + 48 plus 52.6 damage per second they're in it. Almost certainly an additional 53 damage, and also applies the 15% slow.

Thanks for the positive feed back. I'll continue working on it when I have time. I'm hoping my daughter will cooperate and let me work on a section or two tomorrow morning over coffee. That is when I can convince myself to work on it instead of actually playing.

Nexus Crawler

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljnorton View Post
i like it, i will check it out...i just hate using dead end items like dorans ring. But it does make sense.
I've tried starting with just a Saphire Crystal and it is possible. It requires a bit more energy management on your part, you're a bit squishy, and your E does slightly less damage. However it does speed up your Sheen which can be well worth the trade off.

Xado

08-01-2012

Hi, just read you're guide, have been curious about whether or not AP Nasus would be viable for a while now and am looking forward to trying this. One thing that has me concerned though is that using spirit fire much during laning might cause him to push too hard, so would it possibly be better to just put one point in it so that you have the armour reduction/ongnoing damage for when you need it and then focusing on improving damage/reducing cd on ss, which you will want to spam as much as possible?

I know this is an old guide, but I'm pretty sure Nasus hasn't changed much since then, though I'm not sure what the meta was back then - I was still too new to even know what the meta was, if I was even playing.

On the topic of the meta, where do you recommend playing ap nasus in the current meta? Bot with a baby sitter like Leona who can keep enemy harassment from him to deal with his weak early game, or with an ad carry with a strongish laning phase, or staying in solo top like everyone seems certain he must be, or could he even mid? Also, seeing as you're not worrying so much about getting ss farmed, could this build work well for jungling?

Thanks, hopefully I haven't made myself look too stupid (and hopefully you're still reading this).

Also: First post here =)

frenzykio

08-01-2012

Ap nasus was never viable and still isn't. Also btw Leona isn't a babysitter she is a kill lane. A babysitter is someone like soraka.if anywhere nasus should be in top lane

Xado

08-03-2012

Why do you say that? He sounds pretty good to me - not great, but like it might be the closest to actually useful Nasus can come. His gains from ap look bad on paper, but they're actually alright because the enemies are taking that extra damage from your ap for every second that they're affect by spirit fire/furious sands. Rylai's means that you can put a lot of slows on, and also gives you a nice chunk of survivability. You end up squishier than a more orthodox nasus, but you can do a lot more to actually help your team, and aren't forced to spend the nearly the entire game farming, effectively leaving your team 4v5 until long after the outcome of the game will usually be determined. Anyway, whether or not I'm right on this, I'd like to give him a try. Seeing as you are actually reading this, and despite your abrupt tone I'm assuming you actually care being that you're reading this, would you say that an ap Nasus, if played, should be played top like a conventional Nasus?

Sorry for the confusion of terms, I assumed that a babysitter was someone who would, in laning phase, control the lane for the carry, keeping the enemy team from harassing them, helping them get kills and (trying) to prevent them from dying (basically, try to set the carry up as well as possible). What does it actually mean? Or is this not what a Leona should be trying to achieve in laning phase?

I've never even come across the term kill lane. What does that one mean?