PAX TF Skin: Incredibly Low Quality

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remiko Elliot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2010

I once read on the League of Legends Blog that the reason skins take very long to develop is because Riot is concerned about the quality of the skin.
I believe that they are completely righteous in that matter for all of us would like our well-spent money to return goods that have values that are equal or greater than the amount of money we spent on LoL.

With that being said, I'm a big fan of Twisted Fate and and also a big fan of Shiny Umbreon.
Since Shiny Umbreons are Black and Bright Blue, I decided to recolor the original skin to be black and blue instead of black and yellow.
But I realized that a PAX skin already existed for TF and I really liked the shade of blue used on that skin. So I decided to use the go and open up the PAX skin and eyedropper the colors into my pallet.

But when I opened up the PAX TF skin's DDS file, I was sadly disappointed.
While Riot Claimed that they cared for the quality of their skins, I was infuriated at that remark when I saw the PAX skin.

If you open up the PAX skin, you will notice the amateurish job that the skinner did on the skin.
You will see:

A blatant attempt of using a brush with max hardness and low density to color over the gold skin. This is shown because the brush-marks are obviously visible. The brush-marks extend outside the actual mapped skin onto the black area.

You will also see, the remnants of the original skin, partially erased, in the DDS file.

On the belt clip, you will see the skinner's failure of a job to color inside the lines.

On the back of the jacket he is wearing, there is a random, blue dot.

A massive loss of detail.

The bottom of the front of the jacket has a blue line from coloring the belt. This might be intentional though.

What is the meaning of this nonsense?!

Paero

05-08-2010

the skinner was on on acid while the pax skin was made, and therefore it looked way cooler to have an art ducko effect done to it. not too sure it was that cool when he was sober tho

Vampire Heart

05-08-2010

Pro-tip: You don't have to stay inside the lines when drawing a texture.

Sounds like you've never layed out UVs and/or don't know how texturing 3d models fully works.

Nameholder

05-08-2010

Whatever works. The skin looks quite good ingame, and none of the pixel or texture artifacts are visible afaik.

noobfluff

05-08-2010

Be happy you didn't go to e-bay and buy the skin code for $90-$100 and then find this out... Or something. It's not even a skin you can buy from RIOT, in fact I think it was designed by the creators of Penny Arcade (given out to attendees of the Penny Arcade Expo)..

Also, i've seen PAX TF in-game and he looks pretty sweet.

Yatterman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2010

Wow... they even missed some of the gold.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2jfxg8.png

Vampire Heart

05-08-2010

I will be back in a couple minutes showing exactly why it doesn't matter that he "colored outside the lines" and that it doesn't matter there is some gold left over.

Hugless

05-08-2010

Hey, at least the new TF skin looks pretty sweet.

Vampire Heart

05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Heart View Post
I will be back in a couple minutes showing exactly why it doesn't matter that he "colored outside the lines" and that it doesn't matter there is some gold left over.
And here you go

oh look! "coloring outside the lines" doesn't matter and the skin looks fine

Remiko Elliot

05-08-2010

Yes, I know that it doesn't matter to color inside the lines. It still doesn't prove that they're giving a decent effort into making the skin.