Avoid Player Feature.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlowerOfFaces

08-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezozel View Post
I don't think Avoid Player should be allowed in any mode with "Ranked" attached to it. Why? For example: What's to stop me from using it simply to avoid getting put into games with Jiji, HSGG, TreeEskimo, or TheRainMan?
That's the point....

NerdChieftain

09-09-2012

I dunno if we are still talking matchmaking... just made it page 10. However, if people are seeing the same people match after match, 1 of 2 things is happening. (1) There's no one else online at that moment (unlikley) (2) The matchmaking criteria are so "tight" that it keeps finding the same "ideal" opponent. To fix #2, relax the criteria a bit.

edit: typo

ViolentWrath

10-07-2012

Perhaps making an actual avoid list or button is not the ideal solution to this problem. I feel maybe the true solution resides in adding a marker to people within your own team(and possibly enemy team) that are on your ignore list or that you have reported for something other than "Unskilled player". In my opinion something does need to be done though. The mark idea seems to be the most logical stand point because you are not increasing that player's queue times but rather the person whose ignore list the marked player is on would be making the sacrifice of dodging the queue and would then have to wait the allotted amount of time set by the system. This would probably be most easily implemented as well with the new addition of awards for honor.

mbomb007

05-03-2013

I think another solution would be that if the game detects that a player is trolling, swearing a lot, harassing, etc, then that player has to wait 2 or 3 times as long before getting into a game, or they get put with other "down-rated" people. And if it happens in ranked, then their elo should drop faster.

Taioron

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
not sure any other online game has an avoid player feature where they also use skill based matchmaking. If you can provide a concrete example, I'd be interested to hear details about their implementation.
Short response first, then I'll go more detailed. If a main concern from Riots perspective is abusing the avoid player system to help with ranked, would not placing a cap on the list prevent that?

Now I'll go into more detail. This is something that would be really helpful to League of Legends as a whole. It would improve the overall experience for Summoners by giving them a tool that they can personally and immediately use(compared to the tribunal which is neither immediate nor personally done) to combat harassment.
Two reasons muting isn't enough:

1) Sometimes when the harassment is so bad, we know this isn't an isolated incident for the offending Summoner. Therefore we never want to have them on our team

2) Sometimes the harassment isn't only words, it extends to actions

From my reading, the community wants:
a way to never have to play with a person, ever again.

ISSUES:
1) Exploiting the system to get good players on their team
2) Exploiting the system to get bad players on the opposing team
3) It would complicate the matchmaking system, specifically ranked
4) Implementation from a technical standpoint

SOLUTIONS:(Since it's so lengthy, I only address the first point, but I'm just demonstrating that this system is possible if Riot is willing)
1) The basic scenario is if you were to blacklist all of the bad players, then it would leave only good players for your own team. This is a little ridiculous right out of the gate because of the sheer number of players in LoL. Also, if it's a ranked match, the system is already matching you with players of close to your ability. Players aren't likely to do a better job of judging someones abilities than the system is. If we're still concerned with the possibility, then have a separate blacklist for ranked, and have a cap on it based on how large the "pool" of Summoners are that are your rank. Arbitrary numbers, but let's say we're allowed to blacklist up to 0.01% of the total # of players within your "rank". Let's say your rank has 100,000 players, allowing you to blacklist 100(0.01%) wouldn't really help your odds of winning, but allowing for 100 would really be helpful in avoiding harassment. As you get to really high ranks with small amounts of players, then this system wouldn't allow for a very large blacklist. If it wasn't a ranked match however, I could see the scenario being in the realm of *possible*, not *probable* though. If it isn't ranked though, are we really worried with the possibility of them slightly improving their odds? I don't think most would be worried. If we are worried, do a cap again.

A Bad Dragon

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Matchmaking will take care of this issue by matching them with similarly skilled players in the future.
I'm surprised that you would encounter the same players in a subsequent game, *a lot* of people play the game. Unless you're playing at a very high ELO there should be a large pool of people to match with and repeats of a player should be unlikely. I can't think of one case where I see the same person in a second game. Even after a queue dodge when the same set of people is pushed to the front of the queue I often get a completely different set of people.

Does anyone have any hard evidence of this happening? I'd need something more than anecdotal evidence to convince the platform team.
Actually i ended up with the same player, using the same champion, 3 times in much less than a week, and he cost us the game by feeding team semi on purpose, thinking he can take all 3 at once, then complaining we didnt help. Also Matchmaking will not do that...i VERY OFTEN get put into games with people of SIGNIFICANT lesser playing quality, while at the same time, getting put against a team of SIGNIFICANTLY stronger players overall, by far. I of course, have no evidence of any of this :/ but i just want to attempt to help this.

And while the game gives you other players with relative same "skill" it is anything but, as i have also met a very decent amount of people who bring up things about getting stuck with bad players against incredibly good players, such as I have had happen more than enough, and THOSE were occasionally people that were actually about as good as me if not better. But we lost, because we ended up with a 3rd person who had no idea what to do (ever seen a lvl 12 teemo where everyone else in the entire game is lvl 18, and all that Teemo had is one single item, Atmas Impaler, which is a completely useless item for Teemo?)

In the end, there DOES need to be some sort avoid feature, whether it is too similar, or not at all similar, to the one that Microsoft uses for Xbox Live, and dam the VERY FEW minutes of extra que time. Wouldnt you rather wait almost 5 minutes for a fight that you have an equal chance (most of the time, at the very least) of winning against the enemy team, instead of waiting 20seconds to 60 seconds, just to spend 25-40 minutes for a match you had guarenteed would lose very early on despite your best efforts, merely because you were paired up with people who were NOT as good as you, as "the system" says they are.

Granted it's NOT ALWAYS this situation, but it happens too often to NOT be seen.

Now something like this very much SHOULD be in the game, while it does not entirely need it. But a system such as this would be incredibly beneficial for players who wish to have a, at the very least, more entertaining time, by not ending up in multiple matches, with game throwers.

A Bad Dragon

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowerOfFaces View Post
That's the point....
Well in ranked games, that would be incredibly more difficult of a decision, as you could just "avoid" any enemy players who are of a notable difficulty, thus letting you get into "ranked" matches with people that could possibly be easier to beat, and guaranteeing you wont end up against someone that you could end up losing against because you can't beat them

Insanity601

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby145x View Post
I know avoid player works in Call of Duty as if you do it you won't be put in the same lobby if you leave and search for the game again...
To translate that into league, leaving a lobby = Dodging Q
And Riot has already stated that is a big NO in their eyes.

Talai

10-26-2013

bump