Avoid Player Feature.

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 21
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nullmancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2011

At that point, those people that you play with who suck never learn to play better because at that point no one wants to play with them. So, rather than beat the **** out of them for being noobs, give them advice and teach them how to play better. Besides, its not always their fault that they suck. One person on the enemy team can be really really good at their individual champion, and as a result, tend to slaughter those who aren't with theirs'. I'm not bashing the idea of the avoid player suggestion, but I will say this. Everyone learns by failure and if you, per say, fail just once, that button will be spammed upon you, then no one will be wanting to play with you because of that ONE mistake when you are actually a decent player. It goes to say that just because a percentage of people on pvp.net make mistakes every once in a while, that you decide to block everyone who fails even once?

I'm sorry, I disagree.

DarkePacific

08-14-2011

Agreed so much. It'd be more effective then reporting, and get you more with people you enjoy.

DarkePacific

08-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnvaldr283 View Post
At that point, those people that you play with who suck never learn to play better because at that point no one wants to play with them. So, rather than beat the **** out of them for being noobs, give them advice and teach them how to play better. Besides, its not always their fault that they suck. One person on the enemy team can be really really good at their individual champion, and as a result, tend to slaughter those who aren't with theirs'. I'm not bashing the idea of the avoid player suggestion, but I will say this. Everyone learns by failure and if you, per say, fail just once, that button will be spammed upon you, then no one will be wanting to play with you because of that ONE mistake when you are actually a decent player. It goes to say that just because a percentage of people on pvp.net make mistakes every once in a while, that you decide to block everyone who fails even once?

I'm sorry, I disagree.
Actually no, because the people you are playing with are around or close to your summoner level, so you shouldn't end up being grouped with someone who is a "Real newby" in comparison to your own skill. Therefore if someone you are playing with really does suck, then they really DO SUCK, and you shouldn't be obliged to give them advice because they have played just as many or close to as many games as you have, and shouldn't be significantly under-skilled.

While their is some deviation within each summoner level, people of the same summoner level and elo should be relatively close in skill. People who suck really badly, suck, enough said. You should be able to avoid these sucky people.

Retrovertigo

08-14-2011

This is too necessary to skip.

Ersu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2011

I support this. You use to be suspended for leaving during champion selection or if you got reported once for leaving/afk.
I think they should bring this idea in to play or the suspending players who leave a lot, but with less harsh punishments, because if some thing small happened and I had to leave champion selection, I remember some times being suspended for 3 days to a week, which seems a little unreasonable due to the fact we hadn't started the game and waiting for another match to be made only takes 30 max for the most part.

GC Nate

08-14-2011

I think the idea that "people need to learn" is kind of a silly one tbh. There are AI games for that right? Plus, as much as im ok with helping people who are new to the game, some people just dont listen. Even if they do listen, why should it be my responsibility to teach everyone new how to play? The fact that i'm good means i'm automatically responsible for everyone who isnt? I can pull more weight so i have to?

Communism.

As i previously stated, most of the more popular online systems out there use an avoid feature of some kind. Noobs still play on those systems and have all sorts of fun. There is nothing wrong with me wanting to improve my play experiance. You like banging your head against the wall for 40+ minutes? More power to you. I don't. Let me play with poeple who are a positive contribution to my play experience. Being good doesnt mean i shouldnt get to have fun.

GC Nate

08-15-2011

bump. (hoping for a red post)

GC Nate

08-15-2011

bump.

NoOtherDestiny

08-15-2011

There are a few things wrong with this, which is way Riot won't touch it, along with other MOBA's. Think of it from Riot's perspective...

You have a massive player base, you enable this feature that will prevent players getting into games with specific other players, some will have rather small lists and seemingly use the feature well, and others will have massive lists. The player base gets fragmented, queue times take longer, those who are newer find it harder to get into games later on because he gets avoided by everyone when he isn't so good.

I doubt Riot will want to start messing with their matchmaking system to cater to the verbal minority so they can start to fragment the player base.

Basically you end up with a game where groups of people are blocked from other groups of people and their own group from playing with them due to 1 game where that one player might of messed up once or had a bad game for whatever reason. Matchmaking then becomes something else, since it isn't purely just matching people on whatever stats Riot does it by, but also by player personal preference.

A standard 1450~ ELO player who decides to put everyone he plays with that isn't at his "level" (the level he believes he is in his head) on an avoid list, in order to ensure he gets better teammates and/or players to play against. After a while he starts to notice his queue times taking longer, this is because he has been avoiding those who are averaging around his ELO range and his time period for playing.

While there are some people who wouldn't really use it unless someone was really abusive, there are plenty more that will use it on entire teams if they lose, even if they are the cause, since many people on LoL have massive ego's and think it's everyone else's fault when they die. Those players alienate themselves and others which makes the game less fun to play and you end up with people quitting the game or providing bad word of mouth.

I can just imagine a new player who gets to 30 trying ranked and ending up getting avoided by entire teams just because they aren't that good, and all the HoN/DoTA/RoTT try hards feel the need to avoid them.

Matchmaking is an avoid system. If you really are that much better then another player, you may meet them once, but then they'll drop in ELO and you won't see them again. I'd prefer not seeing personal preferences added to matchmaking as it will only increase queue times and those new players who want to be competitive will start having trouble later on getting games with better players because they got avoided by everyone while they were newb or just plain noob.

GC Nate

08-15-2011

your arguement is self defeating tbh. You say it would be wrong to cater to a "verbal minority" and then cite an example based on a minority.

Most people wouldnt abuse the system. most people would still find matches just fine. if a player avoided so many people he couldnt find a match, that would kind of be thier own fault wouldnt it?

and this isnt a new "radical" idea that would break any current system in place. It's pretty much an industry standard already everywhere but on LoL. Most Social interface tools for most large games or game platforms use this feature or one like it already.

12345612 ... 21