What Kind of Build Should Xerath Have?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

grammascookies1

06-20-2014

I just recently got Xerath, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with him. I have an AP build that I like to use on most of my mages, but I'm not sure if Xerath should have that or something different.

My Current Build:
1. Hextech Revolver
2. Sorcerer's Shoes
3. Rod of Ages
4. Abyssal Scepter
5. Rabadon's Deathcap
6. Will of the Ancients

Let me know what you guys think.

MeesterDerk

06-20-2014

I build almost the same thing on all ranged AP casters. I'm not saying I build the same thing every time, but what I do end up building, I probably would have built with any other AP caster. That's just a good rule of thumb. I say this because, if you have another similar ranged AP caster that you like (like Syndra or Brand), you can just build what you would build on them.

As for your build, I disagree with it. I don't see the need for a hextech at all. It's expensive as hell, and if you're going to blow the money on it, you should really have a hybrid scaling champ that can maximize it's potential. I don't think Xerath needs this item to be effective. In almost all cases it's better to just have raw AP over anything. Also, Xerath doesn't need to catch up to people since his range is redonk so the active effect would also go to waste. Secondly, abyssal scepter. This item only benefits from champs who have to be close to other champs since it has an aura effect, and I don't know how much you've played Xerath but you should be keeping your distance from enemies. Lastly, Will of the Ancients is kind of wasted on Xerath too. It's not a bad item by any means-i've even used it myself-but there are just better options out there.

Now haven't played much on the new patch yet, so I don't know just how nerfed Athene's is, but that was a go-to item of mine. Here was my typical Xerath build last patch:

Athene's Unholy Grail (I assume this can be subbed for morello's in the new patch)
Zhonya's Hourglass (I noticed you didn't have this item in your build. IMO, it is a must-buy on anything that is AP, even supports)
Sorcerer's Shoes
Rabadon's Deathcap
Void Staff (if you don't want this, you should at least have another type of magic pen)
Deathfire Grasp (I've been building this lately since I've gotten better with Xerath. The little bit of cdr helps)

EmployeNumber427

06-20-2014

The most standard of builds, the safest of builds, something Xerath (as the truest mage) would like.

Athene's first
Deathcap
Void Staff
Zhonya's
BV

And Sorc Shoes whenever, really.

Mystralta

06-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterDerk View Post
I don't see the need for a hextech at all. It's expensive as hell, and if you're going to blow the money on it, you should really have a hybrid scaling champ that can maximize it's potential.
Remember, Hextech Revolver is the base spellvamp item, and only gives AP aside from that. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Hextech Gunblade which is the hybrid one, and builds from revolver. Not that the conclusion changes, spellvamp tends to be an underwhelming stat in a lot of AP builds.

EDIT: Looking at the build, assuming revolver instead of gunblade means that there's an open slot in there from building WOTA out of the revolver. This confuses me even more now...

grammascookies1

06-20-2014

[QUOTE=Looking at the build, assuming revolver instead of gunblade means that there's an open slot in there from building WOTA out of the revolver. This confuses me even more now...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I just realized I had a typo in my build. Usually I build hextech to build into WOTA. That free slot is a situational slot for me, depending on who I'm against, I'll usually build something for that. But now, I'll put in Zhonya's because I complete forgot about it.

FantasySniper

06-20-2014

Core: Deathcap, VS, Sorc Shoes

Sustain: AUG, AAngel's Staff, Morello

Situational: Zhonya's, Rylai's, Liandry's, Rod of Ages

Don't bother with spell vamp, you will never achieve proper sustain.
Never buy Abyssal Scepter on Xerath, the passive will go to waste.