AP Master Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kehydius

08-09-2011

Viable?

Fluffyburrito

08-09-2011

Pretty viable if you aren't against someone who can interrupt your meditate easily.

Honestly, I go AP yi all the time if I'm not jungling. Since AD Yi will still melt in a teamfight if anyone stares at you funny AP Yi can at least Alpha into everyone, meditate-tank all damage, and then alpha again. (Just make sure all their CC is used)

1-2 D-rings, boots, deathcap, and lichbane make you terrifying. And you can still push lanes really well.

However, that being said, although he has good burst, AP yi definitely isn't on par with a serious AP carry. It's fun for the lulz though.

Big Fat Unicorn

08-09-2011

Not in serious play lol. All it takes is some Magic resistance to ruin an AP Yi's day.

Kehydius

08-09-2011

Ah so more for a fun normal game less for actually meaning to dominate

Suuperdad

08-09-2011

More importantly, AP Yi depends on one single thing happening (which isn't being able to chain meditate)...

He depends on you being able to reset Alpha Strike with Highlander. I see so many terrible builds with him. The single thing you need to maximize is the Damage on your Alpha Strike. For example, CDR is 100% absolutely wasted itemization on him. Anyone that thinks CDR is good on AP Yi is completely 100% wrong.

Because of that, I consider AP Yi to be 100% a counter-pick champion. I'll pick him if the other team has 2-3 super squishy champs. If you reset Alpha Strike even once, you are looking at 2kish AOE dps to their entire team. If you reset it 3 times, you are probably going to quadra or pentakill.

You should be rushing deathcap, then Boots, then lichbane. Hourglass next is okay (or if you are falling behind, you can switch into it). DC first is needed because you need the AP to be able to killsteal that first kill (again, this is the single most important thing). Lichbane as your next major item is (surprise surprise) because you need to killsteal that first kill, and nothing else helps as much.

In teamfights, you have to be really selfish and skittish. You can do some SERIOUS poking pre-fight (especially if they are hugging a tower), but once the teamfight starts, you need to stay far away. Wait until one person is low, then steal the kill. It sounds selfish, but your team should be thanking you when you dish out 2000+ aoe dps and literally execute their entire team.

Bad AP yi's will Q in, pop hourglass or something (say those that rush hourglass) and sit around doing nothing for a while. They miss the killsteal and they pay for it, because they just sit around being useless for 6+ seconds.

That being said, if their composition is tanky, you are probably a waste of a slot. You will barely contribute in teamfights.

Ap Yi is all about killstealing that first kill, then dishing out 2-4k aoe dps and probably pentakilling.

Jazz Bat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

I only play AP if I even actually play him. As Suuperdad said though, you should only pick him against squishies

- He is not viable when the opposing team has an AD Yi.

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

I actually played against an AP Yi for the first time. I could not believe how much Yi can tank with meditate. So infuriating to see an enemy GAIN life while they stand there letting you attack them...

Cenerae

08-09-2011

It's viable if you play him as AP until around 25 minutes, then swap to AD.

Against intelligent players AP Yi runs out of steam around this point. Against bad players you can keep going as AP.

SeCKS Egai

08-09-2011

Yeah he's quite viable, but as has been said his late game is lacking. A fully built AD is far more devastating but AP is not to be underestimated. AP Yi has an amazing meditate and has far better survivability, but he also tends to be more dependent on teammates for damage

Tanner Calder

08-09-2011

I find A hybridish kind of yi to be much better. Going with items like rageblade gunblade lichbane. CDR boots so you can meditate in time. Deathcap to really get your alpha up. It also makes it so he is impossible to counter. That's just my opinion though I've tried full AP and I find it much harder and a little more ineffective later while hybrid I'm hitting like 350 dmg auto attks late game and have like 650+ AP