Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"An error has occurred of type E_FAIL"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dhaes

08-09-2011

A few days ago my LoL client stopped working, it was saying it was having trouble connecting and that my internet was either off or I needed to change my firewall settings, even when my firewall was turned off and I was connected. So I reinstalled the client, however, now whenever I try to open up the launcher I get a message that says "An error has occurred of type E_FAIL." What does this error mean and how can I fix it? Aside from the below, I've checked all over google trying to find an answer but there is nothing to be found.

I've tried reinstalling the client multiple times, restarting, deleting the client + installer then restarting then downloading it again and then installing it again, and I keep getting this issue. I am running this on a MacBook Pro with the Mac Beta Client (which has, so far, had no other issues).

A screenshot of the error message is attached.

Low Key Lyesmith

08-09-2011

This is an entirely new level of fail. o_o

sciyth

08-09-2011

Wow... Been a long time since I've seen an error like that. I think there might have been some sort of "fail" error way back, like October 2010

Low Key Lyesmith

08-09-2011

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=171537

^ Looks like it just fixed itself over time..?
You said you reinstalled it multiple times, so your installer might be corrupt.

Dhaes

08-09-2011

As I stated, I've deleted and redownloaded the installer.

None of those search results have any info on how to actually fix it

Low Key Lyesmith

08-09-2011

Quote:
Dhaes:
As I stated, I've deleted and redownloaded the installer.

None of those search results have any info on how to actually fix it

....deleting and redownloading a corrupt installer is pretty redundant.

Dhaes

08-09-2011

Then I guess everyone has a corrupted installer and this problem wouldn't be isolated...?

Low Key Lyesmith

08-09-2011

Quote:
Dhaes:
Then I guess everyone has a corrupted installer and this problem wouldn't be isolated...?

That's quite a terrible guess, as no one else seems to have this problem.

Dhaes

08-09-2011

I'm saying "why would the installer be corrupted on downloading" because if the installer was corrupted on downloading, as you're suggesting, wouldn't the error then be universal? I don't follow you at all.

YSfighter

08-09-2011

Quote:
Dhaes:
I'm saying "why would the installer be corrupted on downloading" because if the installer was corrupted on downloading, as you're suggesting, wouldn't the error then be universal? I don't follow you at all.

So ok firstly there are recorded instances of other uses having this issue and they seem to have gone away, possibly with the following patch. While you could wait for the patch and see, i have to make one point clear.

Not everyone has the same downloader. Some of us got the Original secure server download ( very few ) some of us got an "official link" when it was made open, and most people downloaded it off some torrent, while a few downloaded it off some file hosting website.

TLDR; If you torrented your downloader, then it is corrupt, many people who have been having issues have downloaded it from a certain pirate and have reported issues. People who have downloaded it from a certain file hosting website have not had as many issues.