[GUIDE] Pantheon: A Guide to Not Losing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tejb

05-06-2010

I. Introduction
II Abilities
III. Summoner Spells
IV. Masteries
V. Runes
VI. Items/building Pantheon
VII. Winning

I. Introduction
Pantheon - The Artisan of War

Lore:
Far above the clouds on Mount Gargantuan resides a stalwart tribe of people known as the Stanpar, who still revere combat and war as penultimate art forms. They remember the Runewars of Runeterra and know that the League of Legends can only repress the rising tides of violence for so long. Each member of the tribe is bred to be a disciplined and vicious warrior, preferring to battle soldiers of either the Noxian or Demacian armies only when outnumbered at least ten to one. Stanpar warriors are trained not only to be as lethal with their bare hands as the most capable martial artists, but also to fiercely wield the many relic-weapons of the tribe. Such treasures have been handed down from generation to generation, and have harnessed the mystical nature of Runeterra in their very cores. These relic-weapons are among the most dangerous in existence -- and it comes as no surprise that they have found their way to the League of Legends in the hands of Pantheon. This stone-faced warrior is a paragon of his people, his very existence an anthem of exultation to the art of combat. Pantheon found it insulting that the people of Valoran would install an organization to replace war, complete with so-called champions, without including the Stanpar. Gathering the blessings of his tribe and armed with the relics of his ancestors, he has decscended on the League to show the world a true warrior. He cares not who he fights, and cares nothing for the pageantry or prestige of a League champion, but lives only for the austere glory of battle. As long as Pantheon breathes, he thirsts for another foe to vanquish.

''I was hoping they had more reinforcements. '' - Pantheon, standing amidst the pieces of a brutalized Noxian battalion.

Whew. Now that that's out of the way, we can get to the important stuff.

IMPORTANT: BUY THE MYRMIDON SKIN!!! Trust me, I have found that buying skins will increase your gameplay tenfold. I don't know why this works, it just does.

Now, Pantheon is trash. It's a common fact. Everyone knows it. But this guide will show you how to actually win the game as Pantheon.

People underestimate you. Use that to your advantage. People will get greedy and think you're a free kill when all of a sudden you turn around and kill them in 2 seconds flat.

The reason everyone (correctly) thinks Pantheon is a useless champion is because, although he is not terrible, he is not nearly as potent as many other melee champions. A fed Ashe or Corki will destroy a fed Pantheon every time. Or so they think.

No one realizes Pantheon's true potential. I know I sure didn't until I finally figured out a good way to play him, and I haven't lost a game since then (around 30 games with this new build so far).

QUICK TIP: If people start queue-dodging you, choose another strong melee champion (such as Jax or Gangplank), then switch to Pantheon at the last second. This way, people will be less likely to leave the queue, and then you can show them just how good Pantheon can really be.

II. Abilities

This section is just a basic overview of his abilities. I'll show you how to build them later (Section VI).

First off, his passive is a full shield block of the next normal attack. This is proc-ed every 4 attacks or casts and is refreshed by his W.

Q - Spear Shot - Pantheon hurls his spear at his opponent
Just a basic nuke. Except with pretty terrible scaling (AD not AP). But it's a good spell nonetheless.

W - Aegis of Zeonia - Pantheon leaps at an enemy and bashes the enemy with his shield, stunning them. After finishing the attack, Pantheon readies himself to block the next attack.
Handy little spell to go with your heartseeker. Also procs your passive which makes it awesome to dive with. Unfortunately, scales with AP.

E - Heartseeker Strike - Pantheon focuses and unleashes 5 swift strikes to the area in front of him, dealing double damage to champions. Pantheon also becomes more away of his enemy's vital spots, allowing him to always crit enemies below 15% health.
This is your bread and butter. It deals damage in a small cone shape in front of you. This is what will net you kills and the passive component of it is great for finishing off champions. Scales well with AD.

R - Grand Skyfall - Pantheon composes himself then leaps into the air to a target, striking all enemy units in the area. Enemies closer to the impact point take more damage.
The reason you never take teleport. This isn't so useful in anything besides team fights, or people will just simply walk away. But if they are in the middle, they will take a LOT of damage. Sadly, this also scales with AP.

III. Summoner Spells

Exhaust/flash. End of story.
Pantheon is pretty squishy for a melee champion, so flash is great for an escape mechanic and to chase.
I guess you could also use cleanse or ignite, but I've found that this combo is the most effective. Pretty straightforward.

IV. Masteries

I actually use a 22/0/8 build, which many people find unusual. I do this because I find the tier 3 utility specs quite useless on Pantheon, so I just throw another point in to offense.

In offense, you're gonna want improved exhaust, as well as all the basic attack damage specs, and some points into CD reduction. I just get some extra regen and exp in utility.

If you prefer to play it safe, you could follow a 9/21/0 build. But I don't recommend it.

V. Runes

Armor pen for marks and quints.
Crit chance for glyphs and seals.

I use this build for almost all melee champions. It's been statistically proven that armor pen will give you more damage output than crit damage, until level 18. But even then, your crits will only deal a tiny bit less than if you had crit damage, and you will hit more than non-crits.

I find that runes aren't really that important to your game anyway.

VI. Items/building Pantheon

Abilities:
Q
W
E
Q or E (take spear shot if you think you’re gonna be harassing more during the laning phase. Otherwise, stick with E.
E
R
E
Q
E
Q
R
Q
Q
W
W
R
W
W

Simple enough. I'll go over strategy and stuff later.

Items:
Meki Pendant and 2x Health pots
OR
Long Sword and 2x Health pots
Boots 1
Sword of the Occult
Berserker Greaves
Last Whisperer
Bloodthirster
Infinity's Edge
Bloodthirster (you should have enough armor pen at this point in the game, so a Black Cleaver isn't mandatory. I just prefer more lifesteal, personally).

VII. Winning

The most important part of the guide. This is where I teach you to own face.

Now Pantheon is quite the carry, so you can easily handle mid with a little practice.

Pantheon has mana problems. So lane with someone who has clarity, or a Soraka (your best friend). Harass with your spear shot. It has a 30 mana cost and does a decent chunk of damage, which is great to spam with.

If I'm with someone who can restore mana or you don't feel like harassing, stick with the long sword.
If you're planning on taking the solo, a meki pendant might be more efficient (do not bother turning this in to a chalice unless the enemy is extremely AP heavy. Endgame you will have more than enough mana).

Once you hit level 3, you really start to shine. You should have enough mana to cast your 3 spell combo at least twice.

Jump-stun, heartseeker, auto attacks, spear shot, exhaust, auto crit, dead.

You will get results. People will be surprised how fast their health will drop, especially with your heartseeker. With maxed out armor pen, this alone can easily kill someone endgame. I've gotten quite a free triple kills with this, no problem.

At level 18, you are a killing machine. Not very many melee champions have stuns, but you do. You also have an advantage over many fighters if you are both exhausted, because your abilities do a good portion of your damage. You exhaust a Master Yi or Gangplank, they WILL die. Your passive also gives you quite the advantage over those other melee fighters.

Use your ult strategically in team fights. Use it to cut off their exit. Or use it right on top of them when they are trapped between your allies. It does take quite some getting used to, but it can turn the tides of a battle if used correctly.

You are also a beast at backdooring. You and twisted fate are definitely close matched. Every 4 attacks, you block a full tower hit. Your ult has a longer cooldown but also doesn't notify the enemy. You can push waves of creeps instantly with your E. All that armor pen will let you destroy turrets in around 10 seconds. My max destructions in a game is 11. You have amazing potential. Use it.

Now, no item or ability build is perfect. You need to sort in magic resist or health wherever you see fit. Adapt to your enemies. You need to learn which attack items to give up in return for more survivability. You WILL be focused down if you're dominating. Either that, or you'll just end up dominating harder.

Well I hope this guide helped you see the good side of Pantheon. Please give him a spin because he really is one of the most underrated champions in the game.

Thanks for spending your valuable time reading this guide, and good night.

lParmenionl

05-10-2010

I have 200 game with pantheon and i play him a litte different.

my items:

Doran ring's
Boot
Brutalizer
B F glaive
Aegis legion
Last Whisper

Without health and resist pantheon is freekill for magic dps.
The brutalizer allows you to gank more quickly with heartseeker and reduce cooldown.
When you have your B F glaive you can make massive damage.

The gameplay with this build look like at katarina.

sorry for my english.

Pwnacus Maximus

05-10-2010

this guide is not very good because:
1. you use SOTO on PANTHEON.
2. you use offensive masteries on PANTHEON.
3. you build zerkers greaves on ANYONE.
4. you don't rush a BF sword.

the guy above me has the right idea.

Tejb

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnacus Maximus View Post
this guide is not very good because:
1. you use SOTO on PANTHEON.
2. you use offensive masteries on PANTHEON.
3. you build zerkers greaves on ANYONE.
4. you don't rush a BF sword.

the guy above me has the right idea.
1. Well seeing how I've never lost as pantheon with my new build, sword of the occult gives me a few hundred more attack damage than BF sword and it is much cheaper.
2. Don't be fooled by Phreak. He's really complete trash. Like in his new Udyr video, he's building him completely as a tank but telling people he's a dps, which is why we've all seen so many horrendous udyr's since then.
3. i do NOT use beserker greaves on anyone. not even close. do you only play melee champs or do you get beserker greaves on annie and fiddle?
4. like i said earlier, rushing a BF sword if pointless when i can get more damage for cheaper with a sword of the occult.

You're strategy with Pantheon is not always right. Neither is mine. But that doesn't make it the "wrong" way to play him. I've had a lot more success with my build than I've had with anyone else's.

StuffedTigga

05-12-2010

the heartseekerstrike says that you do 5 swift physical attks. does that mean if I get Wit's End it will do 5x42 mana drain and damage when I do heartseekerstrike?

seresibyl

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedTigga View Post
the heartseekerstrike says that you do 5 swift physical attks. does that mean if I get Wit's End it will do 5x42 mana drain and damage when I do heartseekerstrike?
`
It doesn't proc Black Cleaver so I assume it doesn't proc Wit's End.

sser

05-12-2010

Sword of the Occult is a good item on Pantheon because he is a total killer early and mid-game. I would also thoroughly endorse getting a Brutalizer early. From there just stack damage anyway you can. Only get Last Whisper if you have multiple high-armor targets. Otherwise Brutalizer + runes should be enough to feast on squishies.

Bimbek

05-12-2010

BAD.
zerkers? SotO? Blodthirster?
meki pedant?

if u buy longsword u CANT affor 2 potions.

u seriously lvl up ur Q skill? u need 1 lvl on it b4 u will be forced to get it.

Minrog

05-12-2010

I gave ya a +1, but it still needs a bit. Ditch the Berserker's Greaves and switch to Mercury Treads with an option for Ninja Tabis if the enemy team hasn't got crowd control or casters (unlikely). Being stunned as a melee carry is the thing that hurts you the most and eating the full duration means you die. Heartseeker is your best ability and attack speed doesn't help it at all.

A couple of item names see to be off, "Last Whisper" and "Infinity Edge" both have slight typos.

I might suggest that instead of going with a second Bloodthirster that you swap in a Youmou's Ghostblade or, as suggested above, a Brutalizer -> Ghostblade combo somewhere. The crit doesn't help you all that much but the Armor Penetration stacking is handy since you are already working it elsewhere in your build.

Pwnacus Maximus

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejb View Post
1. Well seeing how I've never lost as pantheon with my new build, sword of the occult gives me a few hundred more attack damage than BF sword and it is much cheaper.
2. Don't be fooled by Phreak. He's really complete trash. Like in his new Udyr video, he's building him completely as a tank but telling people he's a dps, which is why we've all seen so many horrendous udyr's since then.
3. i do NOT use beserker greaves on anyone. not even close. do you only play melee champs or do you get beserker greaves on annie and fiddle?
4. like i said earlier, rushing a BF sword if pointless when i can get more damage for cheaper with a sword of the occult.

You're strategy with Pantheon is not always right. Neither is mine. But that doesn't make it the "wrong" way to play him. I've had a lot more success with my build than I've had with anyone else's.

1. i'm not gonna comment on the not losing part, but with your build, pantheon will be extremely squishy. any team with half a brain will focus you into dust, and your SOTO will be useless. I'd rather rush a permanent source of damage instead of one that loses effectiveness if you die.

2. phreak's builds do suck, but his masteries have saved my life countless times, especially at the beginning of the game going in for first blood or wandering into the bushes.

3. i do only play melee champs, but you kinda suggested berzerkers greaves in your guide. why would you not use something you suggest?

4. read 1