More Magic Resist?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LitePollution

08-08-2011

I don't know if this has been said before but I think that there are not enough items that provide magic resistance. For armor items like "Frozen Heart" and "Thornmail" provide 100 armor each. But when it comes to magic resistance there are not that many items that provide that much. Also magic resistance is even more important then armor when facing a mage champ because they can easily get 400-600 ability power. This means that you need a lot of magic resistance to tank against them but there are not that many items that provide a good amount of magic resistance.

I would like to see some more expensive items that provide way more magic resistance. Or maybe an item that had a passive that changed a percent of you current armor into magic resistance.

AntiTcb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2011

Armor/Magic Resistance and Physical/Magic damage are not directly comparable 1:1. Autoattacks play a major factor into the power of Physical Damage, which is why there is much more Armor available in numbers than Magic Resistance.

LitePollution

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiTcb View Post
Armor/Magic Resistance and Physical/Magic damage are not directly comparable 1:1. Autoattacks play a major factor into the power of Physical Damage, which is why there is much more Armor available in numbers than Magic Resistance.
Explain what this all means?

AntiTcb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePollution View Post
Explain what this all means?
Basically, Magic Resistance doesn't need to be as abundant as Armor, for the sheer power of autoattacks. They're a 0-cooldown source of Physical Damage, where there isn't an equivalent of that for Magic Damage. It's a limitless source of damage, where as all large sources of Magic Damage are limited by cooldowns and costs.

Superstarsage

08-08-2011

Still, I have to agree with the OP. The reason is, for AD we have penetration in the form of the last whisper. 40% (also the black cleaver, but let's not go there ((ps: armor reduction not penetration know imma get called out for that)) )

Then. in the form of magic penetration we have the void staff which also sports 40 per...cen..t (also the abyssal scepter, but same situation, not going there ((ps: magic reduction.. K?)) )

That seems a little odd yes? considering there are fewer sources of magic res, and even less sources of PURE magic res. (No, building 3 negatron capes, does NOT count as having sources of PURE magic res) i might easily hit say 130 armor just from building thing like guardian angel, maybe randuin's omen, one armor items on an ad carry etc. Whereas i could hit 114 with the force of nature (being highest up there in magic res). Which works GREAT, if... it weren't... for the fact it's such a hybrid expensive ass item.

Wheras, if i build armor, i'd be lacking magic res, and if i build hybrid, i'd only get a whopping 38 magic res to go along with 68 armor (might be 62 can't remember). Considering how mighty awesome bursting is, and has become, especially when coupled with say. THAT VOID STAFF i was talking about. I lol as i die.

And really, cooldowns? Meh, some champs don't bother with that ****, other's just ENGAGE WITH THE TEAM. lol.

So in essence i agree with there perhaps needing to be a few more options in way of magic res.

Gilder

08-09-2011

It is totally not comparable. Even with that much AP most casters only have about an average of .7 ap ratio. An AD carry can get about 400 AD and assuming they are building crit and have infinite you are looking 1k crits. 80% chance at about 2 hits a second. That is way more damage than a mage can do. Most mages also have only 3 offensive spells and if one is their ulti its not always available. If a mage can't burst you then the mage is dead. Not the same for an AD carry. They can just keep auto attacking and will bring down a team faster than a mage.

KidAmn

08-09-2011

Physical DPS also rely on getting into autoattack range without eating some form of hard CC like a stun or exhaust that will drop their effective damage output to zero (maybe a little more from on-hit effects) until that CC is removed. A mage can dip in, cast something like Malzahar's E, and then back off, knowing that as soon as he has his first Rabadon's, it will clean the entire minion wave without him needing to be near it.

tl;dr - physical carries may have more auto-attack damage potential without cooldown/mana reliance, but they also have to put themselves at more risk in the fight, especially if they're a melee phys champ.
Lux can sit at the back of a teamfight and still be effective. Tryn or Yi? Not so much.

Rendruk

11-05-2011

bump

JustMyBassCannon

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki**** View Post
tl;dr - physical carries may have more auto-attack damage potential without cooldown/mana reliance, but they also have to put themselves at more risk in the fight, especially if they're a melee phys champ.
Lux can sit at the back of a teamfight and still be effective. Tryn or Yi? Not so much.
Ranged DPS much?

Yeah, Melee have to avoid CC, and Ranged to a lesser extent as well. But while Casters have to spend up to 3 separate resources to use 1 skill (cooldown, mana/energy/fury/heat/health and "ammo" stacks), all attackers have to do is get there.

There are also some DPS with ridiculously strong CC like Sion's really low cooldown Q which, although costing a lot of mana, lets him stun every 6-7 seconds for 1.5 seconds. Or Irelia who has a gap closer of 650 range, the maximum range for any non-ultimate direct target skill.

Actually, Graves and Caitlyn, probably the two most popular Ranged DPS champs, have a gap closer AND long attack range.

Dragonsafe

11-06-2011

It is true that an all ad team will get countered much easier than an all ap team... (1 frozen heart, 1 omen, and thornmails all around) However if they do have ap u still have tons of choices for defence which DO NOT have to interrupt your build.

Banshee's veil lets you laugh at 1 ability of the 2-4 damaging abilities they have while giving hp+mana.
FoN gives so many bonuses it's ridiculous(atmogs+FoN/RoA+FoN are fun hybrid defense/offense orientated builds).

And don't forget about the quicksilver... "You dropped a bear on my head, sent a wall of flame at me, threw fireballs at my face, exhausted me and then lit me on fire when I was low hp but I pulled out my sash and it was k."

Hexdrinker for AD casters.
Wits end for auto attackers.
GA for anti AD oriented teams.
Aegis for supports.
Lich for auto attacking casters.
Mercs for anti CC teams.
Spirit visage for champs with innate self heals.
Chalice for mana.
Abyssal scepter for MR reduction.

Only armor items that do anything other than defense really are atmas, hourglass, and razor.

TL;DR: MR items add to your build, Armor items are bought as after thoughts specifically for defense.