[Guide] Master Yi, The Wuju Bladesman

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stetzer

09-09-2009

Master Yi, the Wuju Bladesman

I'm going to start off by saying this guide is meant to be helpful. This is not the only way to play Master Yi as I'm sure others play him differently. However, if you are not the type of person who is patient in-game, you may want to stop reading.

Skills

1. Alpha Strike - Master Yi leaps across the battlefield, this deals damage and has a chance to slay minions immediately.

This is the skill is #1 priority until you get to level 6 because of its farming ability. I use it every time it is off cooldown on the closest enemy minion. Do not target heroes with it. Use it and quickly retreat behind your creep line.

2. Meditate - Master Yi meditates, restoring health each second. While Meditating Master Yi has a bonus 30 armor and magic resist.

Honestly, I don't level this until the end. Early game you should not be getting hit or very little just using alpha strike effectively. It drains too much mana at early levels, and it takes away from leveling Alpha Strike / Wuju Style. Don't be afraid to use it at level 18 though.

3. Wuju Style - While toggled on, Master Yi's attacks deal extra damage and he attacks faster. (This is from the champion info, but I don't think he attacks faster anymore)

This will be your #1 skill after level 6. Level it alongside Alpha Strike until 6 as it will take priority over Alpha Strike because of your ultimate. Always use this ability with your ultimate Highlander. I rarely toggle this on without my ultimate, and I always use that combo on heroes. If you want kills, you want them both to be ready when an oppurtunity presents itself.

4. Highlander - There can only be one... Increases Master Yi's movement and attack speed. He becomes immune to all slowing effects temporarily. Additionally, killing a champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns.

Always pop this along with Wuju Style right before entering the fray. Not much to say other than this skill is great. Level it over everything else whenever you can.
Runes/Mastery/Summoner Skills

You are probably looking below and seeing a trend. These are the runes I prefer to use. As of right now, I am splitting them. I have used each separately, but I seem to have better results this way. Focus on at least getting above 20 armor penetration / 20% crit bonus. It shouldn't be too hard.
  1. Red Runes - Armor Penetration / Crit bonus
  2. Yellow Runes - Armor Penetration / Crit bonus
  3. Blue Runes - Armor Penetration / Crit bonus
  4. Quintessance - All Armor Penetration
  5. Mastery - 21 / 0 / 9

The key things to get are Improved Exhaust, Crit, Crit dmg, Attack Speed, Armor Pen, the one that improves teleport in utility, the 5% experience one, life/mana % regen one, and a point in neutral monster buffs.

6. Summoner Skills - Teleport / Exhaust

Teleport is a must for getting back to your lane when you need to recall. I rarely recall without Teleport up. Unless you have gold for an important item like B.F. Sword, don't recall without Teleport otherwise jungle back to your lane.

Exhaust is my preference. It keeps them in range for at least 2-3 more swings which if you have ever went up against a good Yi that's more than you want to be hit. You also get the added effects from putting a point into its mastery. Use this in conjunction with your ultimate + wuju style for lulz.
The reason for the Armor Penetration being over 20 is because a lot of dps / caster heroes don't forgo the route of armor unless they want to gimp their damage for survivability. Because of this, 20+ armor penetration takes a lot of people down around 0 or less. I believe it does make a difference, but if disagree, feel free to stack all crit bonus.

Item Build

**Always buy B.F. Sword first after you make the first two items in this list.
  1. Philosopher's Stone (1115g)
    Meki Pendant (390g) + Regrowth Pendant (475g) + 250g
    Passive: Gain an additional 5 gold every 10 seconds.

I grab the meki pendant first so you can continue spamming Alpha Strike as much as possible. If you are getting hit all the time in your lane, you need to practice on getting right back behind your creeps after Alpha Strike. You can also grab a health potion if you'd like.

2. Beserker's Greaves (920 g)
    Boots of Speed (350g) + Dagger (420g) + 150g
    Passive: 25% attack speed and Movement 2

I use these boots because they are the only item I use with Attack Speed. I feel like Master Yi's attack speed is more than fast enough with his ultimate on.

3. Bloodthirster ( 3200g)
    B.F. Sword (1850g) + Vampiric Scepter (450g) + 900g
    Passive: +60 attack damage / 15% lifesteal. Also, 1 physical damage / 0.25% lifesteal per kill with a maximum of +40 damage / 10%.

Total with full stack = +100 damage / 25% lifesteal.

First of all, it is not hard to get the +40 / +10% lifesteal from kills. Few creep waves / jungling will do it. I also don't feel it's hard to stay alive, but dying happens just go farm a few more creeps if you die. Yes, I do believe this is a better first item than Infinity Edge with my setup. You get +20 more dmg than Infinity as well as +25% more lifesteal. With your ultimate + wuju style, 25% lifesteal is pretty effective.

4. Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge

This is as far as I'm going to go item-wise. Black Cleaver cheaper and it has a helpful debuff for you and your team. Infinity Edge obviously adds 50% more crit damage and 20% more crit. I prefer the Cleaver then Infinity Edge if the game goes that far.
My Play Style

Again, this is in no way the end all way to play Master Yi. I try to get a solo lane whenever I can, but you need to be smart enough to know when you can't solo. For instance, I don't recommend soloing against Ryze unless he's slow with Rune Prison.

Levels 1-5

Skill Priority = Alpha Strike > Wuju Style

All I focus on here is getting gold. Use Alpha Strike / last hit whenever you can then run back behind your creeps. Rinse Repeat. Don't target heroes with Alpha Strike because you'll end up appearing in front of them after the animation which means getting hit more. Only do it if you are absolutely sure you are going to be able to finish a kill. Do anything and everything to avoid being hit.

Level 6+

Skill Priority = Highlander (Ultimate) > Wuju Style > Alpha Strike > Meditation

The time to kill heroes starts now.

As long as you didn't die, you should have enough gold for your Philosopher's stone as well as your Berserker's Greaves. This is when I go back to town and finish the stone / make the boots (if you don't have enough to complete the boots at least grab the boots part of the recipe).

Now, this is when I start killing enemy heroes. Look for any weak heroes / low hp ones. Teleport as close as you can without them seeing you. Use some weeds and be PATIENT. You should have exhaust up unless you had an early opportunity in your lane to gank.

Wait for the enemy hero to cross the line from their side of the map to yours and strike. Use your ultimate and wuju style right as you come out of hiding. The second you are in melee range use exhaust. If you picked a weak hero / low hp one, it should be an easy kill.

You should always have Alpha Strike ready if they blink or run. Never use it at the start of combat. It should be easy to get close to them without it if you came from the side or behind. This will get you back in range to finish the kill, but play smart. Don't get baited into a tower or chase too far. I can't tell you how far to chase. You need to learn that for yourself.

If you did everything right, you have a dead hero with help from teammates or by yourself. If you got the killing blow which you should have, your ultimate and wuju style is back. This is important because now you can go find another hero to kill. If you didn't get the killing blow, head to a lane to kill creeps or jungle until it's ready to use again.

Quick Recap / Short Version
  1. I love gooooold. Levels 1-5 are for gold farming. The more you get the better.
  2. Shock and Awe. Alpha Strike when available. Get right back behind your creeps.
  3. There can only be one! Level 6 is killing time. Always use your ultimate with wuju style right before engaging. Use exhaust after you are in melee range. Always try to engage the enemy from a hidden location. The side or behind in the weeds or behind trees.
  4. BE PATIENT. PATIENCE. VIRTUE. IT IS ONE. I can't stress this enough. Running into a fight against two enemy heroes because one is low hp is not always smart unless neither has a disable.
  5. Pick your battles. It's all about sticking to the shadows and striking at the opportune time. Also, if there are no heroes you think you can gank go farm a lane or jungle. Always focus on getting gold until an opportunity presents itself.
Please remember this is a team game. Work together with them and getting kills is much easier. Yi doesn't have a stun or slow of his own so teaming up with someone who does for a kill is very effective. Use G to ping the map to help your team know where enemies are and please call M.I.A.

If I missed anything in this guide, let me know. Hopefully this helps anyone who wants to play Master Yi. Again, this is how I play him, and I find it to be very effective. I rarely come out of a game with less than double digit kills.

Tarion

09-09-2009

I like the guide. A bit different to how I play, but seems like the results will be pretty similar.

Something to note (Only through my last couple of games, not been extensively tested) - Use Alpha strike to harass. Don't target heroes, because as Stetzer says, you'll end up getting punched in the face.Instead, target creeps near the enemy and let Yi hit them on his way. Easy way of adding to the hurt.

nekitamo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

09-09-2009

Don't like the item build at all. Crits are much more important than life steal, and your attack speed and move speed are much too small without phant, even with your ult on (and your ult is up very very fast). Also, yi is a great level 1 to 3 kill, especially with all that armor penetration and wuju style, and yet I don't see you mention that anywhere.

Stetzer

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekitamo View Post
Don't like the item build at all. Crits are much more important than life steal, and your attack speed and move speed are much too small without phant, even with your ult on (and your ult is up very very fast). Also, yi is a great level 1 to 3 kill, especially with all that armor penetration and wuju style, and yet I don't see you mention that anywhere.
I've never had any problem will getting kills. Sure, you get more crit from say Phantom Dancer, but you get no damage. Infinity edge is about 1000g more than BT / BC. Which means if you take BT first you'll have a second B.F. sword earlier.

If I haven't died at this point which is often, it only takes 3 hits maybe to kill someone that isn't a tank or bought armor. You aren't going to have over 60% crit until you at least get two items made (Phantom / Infinity let's say). If you build do a crit rune tree, your missing out on armor pen / bonus crit. Personally, I like to take steady base damage early on.

Also, I've never had a problem with attack speed. The 25% from the boots seems sufficient with ult up. Again, you go for more speed you lose more avg damage. Obviously, someone with movement 3 boots can out run you if they can survive 3-5 swings (1 starting battle and 3+ before exhaust ends depending on rank of ult).

Now, as for killing heroes early. I didn't say you couldn't. In fact, I said go for it as long as you are sure you'll get a kill. All I said was don't target champions with Alpha Strike. Use creeps and Alpha will likely get a hit on them while putting you back into a safer spot. If you use Alpha on the hero, and they move backwards, you end appearing on top of them behind their creep line losing more health than you should unless you have a guaranteed kill.

Pandub

09-09-2009

Is crit bonus chance to crit or crit damage?

HowlingKommando

09-09-2009

Great guide! There are a lot of different ways to play Yi, and I'd consider this one of the more overall safer approaches.

One noticeable omission is no mention of Phage/Mallet for slowing and nor do you boost his running speed so you'll be relying on your teammates for stun.

Brad

09-10-2009

Nice guide i want to try your items now, bloodthirster and the black cleaver =)

I've played in a very similar manner to this, but not quite.
Thanks =)

also this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandub View Post
Is crit bonus chance to crit or crit damage?
Critical Chance Runes or Critical Damage Runes?

Also, there ARE NO Yellow Runes (Seals) for Armour penetration... Just critical chance and damage (Malice and Furor, respectively), right? yet you state that you split evenly among the rune types.

AnotherFallenEve

09-10-2009

quick question. if you turn on wuju style and then do alpha strike would it make your alpha strikes do more damage?? I thought it said something like 4 hits and doesnt the damage of the hits depend on your current attack damage? just curious

Tarion

09-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherFallenEve View Post
quick question. if you turn on wuju style and then do alpha strike would it make your alpha strikes do more damage?? I thought it said something like 4 hits and doesnt the damage of the hits depend on your current attack damage? just curious
I'm pretty sure that Alpha Strike is only boosted by ability damage, not attack damage. So Wuju-ing when you're Alpha Striking is wasting it.

Stetzer

09-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Nice guide i want to try your items now, bloodthirster and the black cleaver =)

I've played in a very similar manner to this, but not quite.
Thanks =)

also this:

Critical Chance Runes or Critical Damage Runes?

Also, there ARE NO Yellow Runes (Seals) for Armour penetration... Just critical chance and damage (Malice and Furor, respectively), right? yet you state that you split evenly among the rune types.
Just put Furor and Desolation runes in wherever you can.