[Guide] Changing In-Game Fonts and Messages

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frisky Twotimes

05-03-2010

If you:

• Think the game's font is ugly
  • Think the game's font is too small
  • Would like to change what is displayed when you dodge, critically strike, or go on a killing spree
  • Would like to modify tooltips to include ability power ratios, or to display whatever you like
  • Would like to modify any text-based aspect of the in-game interface

Then keep reading!

This is a simple tutorial designed to improve the functionality of League of Legend's in-game text system. I was extremely dissatisfied with the small size and font choice of the floating combat text, so I began to browse through the game's files until I found what needed to be changed. If you'd like to improve your gaming experience (in whatever slight manner this tutorial can) then continue reading!

It is critically important that you back up every file before you modify it. I am not responsible for the hour of your life you will lose should you make a fatal error and have to reinstall your game.

The F.A.Q.

But Exultant! Can't you get banned for this kind of thing?

No.

Are you sure?

Yes.

Will this prevent my game from being updated?

Yes, it will. Back up the files you modify or you will be unable to patch.

Here are some examples of what the game can display:

Attachment 28055
Attachment 28056
Attachment 28058
Attachment 28057
Attachment 28059

Before we change anything, you'll first have to select a new font, or fonts, for the game. Open up whatever word editor you use and type out some numbers and words. Change the font of what you've written until you find a font you'd like to use.

I replaced my default combat font with BitLow. You can download it for free at:
http://www.dafont.com/bit-low.font

I replaced my default announcement font with Orator STD. Unfortunately, you can't download this for free, but there are plenty of similar fonts that you can use.

Once you've chosen a new font, it's time to add it to the game!

I. Finding the Necessary Files

1. Browse to the hard drive you installed the game on, and open it. Find the folder titled Riot Games, and open it.

Attachment 28060

2. Click on the folder inside of Riot Games called League of Legends, and then click on game.

Attachment 28061

3. Click on DATA.

Attachment 28062

4. Click on CFG.

Attachment 28063

II. Changing Announcement and Floating Text Fonts and Styles

1. If you'd like to change your announcement font (announcements are displayed when a champion is killed, a tower is destroyed, when an ace occurs, etc.), click on Announcements.ini. If you'd like to change your combat font (combat text is displayed over the heads of champions), click on Game.cfg.

If your computer says it does not know how to open .ini or .cfg files, change the program that opens these files to Notepad.

Attachment 28064

2. To change the font, size, length, and display of announcements, simply change the values listed under the Categories section of Announcements.ini. Set FontSize to whatever size you prefer, set FontName to the exact (exact meaning capital lettering and spacing) name of your desired font, and so on.

Do not change anything else in the Announcements.ini file. See the screenshot below.

Attachment 28065

3. To change the font, size, and display style of player nameplates (the name of each player displayed over his or her champion) scroll down the Game.cfg file until you find [FriendlyNametag]. Set FontSize to whatever size you prefer, set FontName to the exact (exact meaning capital lettering and spacing) name of your desired font, and so on.

Do not confuse "FontName" with ";FontName." Do not modify ";FontName" from "Franklin Gothic Demi Cond." See the screenshot below.

Attachment 28066

4. To change the font, size, and display style of the floating combat text (the numbers and information that appears of the heads of champions) scroll down the Game.cfg until you find FLOATTEXT_Damage. Modify any of the values underneath each of the FLOATEXT_ categories as you see fit, except for _Text (the game will override any changes you make). Set FontSize to whatever size you prefer, set FontName to the exact (exact meaning capital lettering and spacing) name of your desired font, and so on.

Do not modify anything else in Game.cfg. See the screenshot below.

Attachment 28067

III. Changing Announcement and Floating Text Content

1. To change what is actually displayed when by an announcement or the floating text, go back to the DATA folder, and click on Menu.

Attachment 28068

2. Scroll down until you find fontconfig_en_US.text, and open it.

Attachment 28069

3. Search (ctrl + f) or scroll down to game_announcement. You can freely change any of these values to whatever you like, but if you remove @srctr name@ or @desttr name@ you will no longer have the player names display.

Attachment 28070

4. Search (ctrl +f) or scroll down to game_floatingtext. You can freely change any of these values to whatever you like, but Riot's default entries are sufficient for the majority of them. If you are using BitLow, your values must be capitalized, as the font does not support lower case letters.

Attachment 28071

IV. Changing Tooltips, and Everything Else

1. Go to fontconfig_en_US.txt.

2. This is the the complicated part. Riot organized their entries for the game's text interface in a rather haphazard manner - it flows alphabetically, but without context or separation. Scroll through the file until you find the text or tooltip you are looking to modify, and do so.

V. Changing the Chat Box

1. To change the size and color of your chat box, go to the DATA folder, and click on Menu.

2. Click on HUD.

Attachment 28072

3.Click on defaults.

Attachment 28073

4. Open chat.ini, and change the color and size of the text displayed in your chat box as you desire.

Attachment 28074

I hope this guide improves your future gaming experiences! Leave a reply if you have any questions.

SuperStunt

05-03-2010

Very cool, ill definitely check this out tomorrow! Nice guide too!

YoonieDaCutie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2010

Ashe skin. Want.

Frisky Twotimes

05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxnyxnyx View Post
Ashe skin. Want.
http://www.leaguecraft.com/skins/570,Deathbringer+Ashe

Osmodius

05-04-2010

Thank you! Very well written.

Choudenjibou

05-04-2010

I love you, have my babies.

YoonieDaCutie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2010

Quote:
Thank yous!

Frisky Twotimes

05-04-2010

bump

Delthanin

05-04-2010

Nice guide. Thx

Frisky Twotimes

05-04-2010

bump