@Riot: balancing criteria once dominion is released

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaddar

08-04-2011

I was just reading some red posts about Dominion and I came across this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post
How do I put this?

Most of the Riotiers I've spoken to, do not want to play any other game mode other than Dominion and haven't wanted to for months. In addition to that I'm extremely encouraged by the media response when it faced the gauntlet the other night. Make no mistake, Riot has little control over what they are going to say about the mode... other than making sure the game mode is as polished as possible.

Games are fast and fun.

This is one of the big reasons a lot of Rioter's are going to be very excited about this mode. However of course we will have a lot of difficulty trying to communicate that excitement. My *foresight* is that the community at large breakdown will probably end up being something like this:

50% - Dominion only
25% - Dominion most of the time, sometimes SR and TT
25% - Only SR and TT

From a logical/programmer perspective I think this causes problems which we'll need to figure out:
1) We need to make sure our process ensures that QA and the company still play SR enough.
2) We may need to do more to bring players back to SR.

Its an interesting problem to have.
and it got me thinking, will be SR still your priority when it comes to balance the champions on the game?, right now, champs are balanced with SR in mind over TT, but now that Dominion is going to be released and, -I'm sure, widely played-, I'd like to know if you have plans on balancing the champions focusing on Dominion or SR will still have the higher hand on terms of champion balancing.

RaspyTurnover

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2011

Apparently its going to be more balanced with items than specific map champion specific nerfs(Like Mundo and TT).

Andok

08-04-2011

Maybe Riot could implement balancing the champs based on the map, i.e. champs that are weak in SR but godly in TT/Dominion could gain a buff while playing in SR, and a debuff while playing in TT or Dominion.

Something along the lines of.. +10% hp or +10% dmg/ -10% hp or -10% dmg

Tc3001

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-04-2011

If it ever does become an issue, it's always a possibility of them creating two different "balances," similar to what Guild Wars does with its PvE and PvP versions of skills.

Eddyv

Recruiter

08-04-2011

the thing is about dominion is that i can forsee how stealth champions will completely dominate as there are no real lanes and can ambush champions trying to protect a crystal/flag w/e its called lol

TheDudester

08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andok View Post
Maybe Riot could implement balancing the champs based on the map, i.e. champs that are weak in SR but godly in TT/Dominion could gain a buff while playing in SR, and a debuff while playing in TT or Dominion.

Something along the lines of.. +10% hp or +10% dmg/ -10% hp or -10% dmg
I've been thinking about this since the announcement, with a new map and game mode, I do believe that it would be much easier if balancing was made on a map to map basis.

Champs like Mundo, who excel in TT and were nerfed because of it (along with items such as SV), now face trouble when battling in SR (Mundo's problems goes deeper, since he falls behind the tanky dps meta/newer champs but I digress) and balancing him according to the map being played would allow not only Mundo, but most champions to be playable throughout all gameplay modes.

Yaddar

08-11-2011

bump

rumples

08-11-2011

Theyve basically said that they concern themselves most with assuring the map is set up so that "archetypes" as in tanks/support/assissin classes are all good with item tweaks and the global debuff.