Skarner Mechanics Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

08-02-2011
1 of 16 Riot Posts

Greetings Summoners!

Today, I wanted to give a little sneak peek into the gameplay behind Skarner, the Crystal Vanguard.

The idea behind Skarner is to get on people, stay on them, and really capture that inevitability of being run down by a predatory creature. Additionally, we wanted to avoid an instant gap closing mechanic so there's appropriate counter-play.

The primary way Skarner accomplishes this mission is through his ability Crystal Slash and his passive, Energize. Crystal Slash does a quick, point-blank AOE and empowers the ability if it hits. Empowered casts will do bonus damage and slow (making successive uses really useful for sticking to his target). His passive causes his spells to cool down faster each time he auto-attacks - a natural combination with the empowered Crystal Slash.

Properly utilizing Skarner's passive is central to his gameplay as a whole. For example, Skarner's ability Crystalline Exoskeleton puts up a shield that grants additional movement and attack speed while it's up. The bonus attack speed will help greatly decrease the cooldown time of his abilities, leading to additional Crystal Slashes or more uptime on this steroid.

Skarner's marquee ability is Impale. This ultimate causes him to skewer an opponent with his tail and drag them around for a few seconds. The positional manipulation of the ability can turn a teamfight by peeling an enemy off of a wounded ally, or dragging a greedy enemy into a tower.

Players have been asking for another monster champion for a while, so we're happy to deliver Skarner, our own weaponized arachnid.

chemistryz

08-02-2011

Wow that impale ability sounds sick.

Kinda happy it's not SK.

LightningBlade

08-02-2011

Good work riot!

IS1fb410c67b4f9e0cf3c55

08-02-2011

please do not downvote me for being first page =(

0xxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2011

Sounds like fun.

Tram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2011

Oh god, I love characters that can stick to champions. Like Nunu or Lee Sin.

I knew these 6,300 saved IP was worth it!

betwoobly

08-02-2011

Looks great so far, can't wait to drag people into my team.

HuggyMcSnugglet

08-02-2011

He dragged her to the tower! Now he's gonna drag me! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooh upvotes! I feel so special.

*girly giggle* oh guys stop. You're making me blush.

You guys better quiiit iiiiit. I might get an even worse case of pointlessly-inflated-internet-ego!

And people say that the League community sucks! Honestly I'm having way too much fun editing this post over and over again. It's getting to my head "baahahaah! people think I'm so funny. I'm so awesome. So cool. So lonely."

Sweet Jesus over 500 thumbs up. Outdoing even the original post! You guys are great.

Over 800? Are you kidding me? This is too much to handle right now. nyaghga! UUUUGHG! Popularity! Internet! wat do!?!

Hell's bells, I need to get a life rather than refreshing this page every five seconds to see of people still like me...

Oh. My. Goodness. 1000 upvotes and (hopefully) rising? I'm just flabbergasted. Thank you all. If you want to say "you're welcome you big headed D-bag" or "Holy balls stfu" just send me a league message or even just post on the thread. Thank you guys, I've had a blast pretending I'm a 16 year old girl blogging about nutella.

Hmmmm. On my way to 2000 eh? MY ULTIMATE GOAL IS OVA NINE THOUSAND!!!!

TotemsTea

08-02-2011

Very nice, can't wait to see him in action.

fomenta

08-02-2011

I hope Nashor's Tooth will be good with him -- Huge CDR + AS for more CDR through his passive. Also, his repositioning ult sounds pretty beast -- repositioning skills can be pretty devastating sometimes (Singed, Urgot, Alistar, Blitz, etc.)

PS. Word on the street is that this patch will be epic: http://clgaming.net/redtracker/topic/10571/?l=en&p=1

Good work Riot.