[Guide] Item Cost Efficiency

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Contents
-Patch Notes
-Changelog
-Introduction
-Tab Explanations
-Column Explanations
-Overall Findings
-Closing
-External Links
-Excel (.xls) File

Quote:
Patch Notes
v1.0.0.122
This guide is up to date as of this patch.
Quote:
Changelog
8/2/11
Guide updated to show cost-efficiency of Legendary Tier items based on total upgrade costs for all components. As an example, Trinity Force now has values based on the added stats and their costs for Phage, Sheen, Zeal AND Trinity Force's recipe combining costs instead of just Trinity Force's recipe combining cost.

Also added slows (AS and MS) to the valuation of items containing slow procs or actives. See the guide notes below to understand how I valued the slow stats.

7/29/11
Guide posted to Guides & Strategy Forum
Quote:
Introduction
So I got bored one day and decided to start working on an analysis of each item's cost efficiency. The intent behind this analysis was to find items that are the best use of gold for various stats.

This is useful for theorycrafters and min-maxers to mess around with when they are putting builds together and they know they need to get as powerful as possible per gold they spend.

I hope this guide is as helpful to you, the reader, as it has been (and will continue to be) for me!

Make sure you download or view the spreadsheet at the bottom of the guide!
Quote:
Tab Explanations
I didn't explain much in the spreadsheet itself in order to save space. I may add an explanation page to it so you can read this portion from the file without needing your browser open at the same time.

All Items Tab
Contains every item in the game except for Boots 2, 3, and 5, and Consumables. Boots of Speed were included to get an average cost for the Move Speed stat. This tab is the only tab that contains the Legendary Tier items upgrade stats for just the Legendary item upgrade cost and base stats granted in addition to the full recipe cost of Legendary Tier items (which includes their Advanced Tier components)

Basic Tier Items Tab
Contains items that are the core component items that are not built by combining any other items, but they ARE used to create higher tier items. This tab also contains Doran's items, since they aren't built from multiple items.

Advanced Tier Items Tab
Contains items that are created by combining only one level of lower tier items.

Legendary Tier Items Tab
Contains items that are created by combining one or more Advanced Tier items with other items. This tab now only contains the full upgrade cost of the entire Legendary Tier items.

Attacks Tab
Contains items that have core stats that enhance a champion's auto attacks. Stats used to determine whether to classify the item in this tab are Attack Damage (or on-hit damage item effects) include Attack Speed, Critical Chance, Life Steal, and Armor Penetration.

Abilities Tab
Contains items that have core stats that enhance a champion's abilities or mana. Stats used to determine whether to classify the item in this tab are Ability Power, Mana, Mana Regeneration, Cooldown Reduction, and Spell Vamp.

Defense Tab
Contains items that have core stats that enhance a champion's Defenses. Stats used to determine whether to classify the item in this tab are Armor, Health, Health Regeneration, and Magic Resistance.

Utility Tab
This tab contains items that have Move Speed enhancers or a Move Speed slow, as well as items such as Gold per 10, Auras, etc.
Quote:
Column Explanations
This section explains the concepts represented by the amounts and notations in each column so readers can follow the logic of the spreadsheet.

Item Name
Pretty self-explanatory!!!

Cost
The amount shown here is as follows:
Basic Tier & Doran's Items = Flat cost when purchased in the store
Advanced & Legendary Tier = The cost of combining the components to make the new item.

Stats
This column contains the notation for the core stats the item has. The following is a list of all the core stats abbreviations:
AD = Attack Damage
AP = Ability Power
ARM = Armor
AS = Percentage Attack Speed
CRIT = Percentage Critical Chance
HP = Health
Hp5 = Health Regenerated in 5 seconds
LS = Percentage Life Steal
M = Mana
Mp5 = Mana Regenerated in 5 seconds
MR = Magic Resistance
MS = Flat Move Speed (percentage based MS is calculated based on 370 MS, which is equivalant to most champ's MS with Boots 2)

Value
This column denotes the value of the stat it is adjacent to. This value for Advanced and Legendary Tier items is just the value added by upgrading the Basic or Advanced Tier components. As an example, upgrading 2x Long Swords into The Brutalizer only adds 5 AD (25-10-10=5), thus, the AD value for The Brutalizer is only 5 instead of 25.

Gold/Stat [Basic Tier Only]
This column denotes the gold cost per statistic point for Basic Tier items.

Avg. [Basic Tier Only]
This column contains the average Gold/Stat for the Basic Tier items for use in other Tier calculations.

Avg. G/Stat
This is the average of the gold cost per stat point obtained by averaging the Basic Tier items. The formula used to place these values in the Doran's, Advanced, and Legendary Tiers matches the core Stat, and then returns the appropriate average cost per stat.

Est. Cost
This is a function of multiplying the value gained from purchasing the item by the average cost per stat point. This gives the estimated cost you would have to incur from just purchasing the Basic Tier equivalent to obtain the same value of the statistic in question.

Cost (Save)
This column indicates how much more (less) the item cost in order to obtain the core stat values of the item. Basically, it's the difference between the actual cost less the estimated costs of all stats obtained. Positive numbers means the item cost you that much to obtain any additional benefits outside of the core stats, negative numbers mean that you have saved just on the core stats.

% Cost (Save)
This column shows the ratio of the additional cost (savings) compared to the actual cost of the item. Positive percentages show what percentage of the cost of the item is dedicated to other benefits besides the core stats. Negative numbers indicate the percentage of savings the item has built into just the core stats.

Other Stats & Notes
This column contains any calculation notes that may apply to a particular item. It will also contain information regarding any additional benefits that are obtained by purchasing the item other than the core stats provided. Additional benefits include things like Resistance Penetration, Cooldown Reduction, and other Unique Passives.

G/Stat
If an item has an additional benefit, and it also has available cost to apply to it (in other words, the item doesn't derive all of it's gold value from just core stats), this is where the cost, if any, is shown. As an example, The Brutalizer has a value applied to both the CDR and Apen components. The remaining cost after calculating the estimated costs of the core stats is split between the two additional benefits. This cost is quantified in a per stat manner similar to the way core stats are quantified.
Quote:
Notes
The following are some of the basic assumptions I have made to obtain certain information for the stat values, etc.

Move Speed
The average move speed value is determined by finding out the cost per MS point from Boots of Speed. To find out the % based MS stats, I simply used 300 Champion MS & Boots 2 for a total of 370 base MS.

These two assumptions allow me to place a value on an item's MS components so I can determine exactly how much value the item has.

Scaling and Stacking Items
Items that scale as time goes by or stack with certain stats/actions are generally assumed to be at half charge, unless specifically stated otherwise. As a general rule, all items that have stacking effects were used at half stack.

Exceptions to this rule include Archangel's Staff, Manamune, and Rod of Ages. I used full stacks, since these are Legendary items, and are typically at full charge at the most critical points in the game.

Items like stacking proc items (Malady, Guinsoo's, Black Cleaver) are assumed at half stacks if calculations need to be made to obtain all the stats.

Health-based and Mana-based items use the same HP and Mana values across the board.

Any information required regarding what method was used to calculate the stats for these items is included in the Notes for each applicable item.

Slows
Because slows are a valuable stat, I decided to go ahead and add a value calculation for them.

Basically, if the slow is a MS slow, I used the average MS value to calculate the value added to the item by the slow. An item such as Phage grants a VERY small slow. Since since it only has a 25% chance to proc, and it can only proc on one target at a time (instead of MS attribute being increased/decreased all the time), the formula for the slow looks like this...

25% chance to proc * 35% slow * 370 MS of Target / 5 for enemy champions * 1 affected enemy champion

AoE slows are assumed to hit 2 targets out of 5, at the specified slow amount for the particular item in question.

Other factors may be considered, so check the formula for the value of the MS slow if you want to know more information.

The same concept was used for AS slows (Frozen Heart, Randuin's, etc.). I just used the value and the number of enemy champs affected by the slow.

Basically, if you see an item that doesn't have an actual AS or MS attribute, but my analysis lists it as one of the attributes, it is because of this section.
Quote:
Findings
The following is the cost efficiency ratings between items of various statistic types:

CDR for Free = Glacial Shroud, Deathfire Grasp, Frozen Heart, Nashor's Tooth, Randuin's Omen, Surelia's Reverie, Youmuu's Gostblade

Cheapest Mpen = Malady > Abyssal Scepter > Haunting Guise > Void Staff

Cheapest Apen = Sword of the Divine > Youmuu's Ghostblade > Stark's Fervor > Black Cleaver > Brutalizer > Last Whisper

Cheapest Tenacity = Eleisa's Miracle > Cloak & Dagger > Moonfire Spellblade

Cheapest G/10 = Philosopher's Stone > Heart of Gold > Avarice Blade > Kage's Lucky Pick

Other findings will be listed as they are discovered. If you find something during your use of the spreadsheet that you feel will be beneficial to others, please leave a comment so I can add it to the findings. I will give any contributors credit if their work is added to the OP.
Closing
Wow...what a load of information!

I hope you have found this to be as useful as I have. I had a wonderful time putting it together, and I hope you enjoy your use of this tool!

If you notice any flaws in the guide or want to contribute, please do so!

Happy Summoning!

Eledhan

P.S. If you enjoyed this guide, you might want to check out my other guides as well.

[Guide] Ashe - The Team Queen .
[Guide] Suddenly...a WILD UDYR appeared! .
[Guide] Vayne - The Flexible Assassin .

Carados

07-29-2011

Just going to say cost efficiency isn't really a useful stat for anything, so neither is this guide.

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Just going to say cost efficiency isn't really a useful stat for anything, so neither is this guide.
So...

You fail to support your trollish comments in another thread, and then you come to MY OWN thread and troll me here?

Get.

Out.

Now.

Carados

07-29-2011

Get out? I'm not the one who posted a troll guide which serves only to mislead people.

There is NO way this information is useful. Especially when a better know, better kept place has this information, but in a way that is actually helpful!

Who are you again, why do you have 2 other accounts?

Here's this: At what point do you care about the efficiency of a single stat of an item, ignoring all other stats of that item? Because that is the only time this is useful.

Kreicus

07-29-2011

Quote:
Wow, just wow.

If cost wasn't an important thing to consider there'd be no cost. Why make Infinity Edge cost ~4000, because it does a lot of damage and has the unique passive. But if Crit isn't a big concern knowing the cost/point of other damaging items would give you better options.

I'll keep an eye on this to see the spreadsheet. I've done a guide like this, on leaguecraft, with a method I think works out pretty well. It's gotten decent response from people.

Looking forward to see what you've come up with.

Quote:
Get out? I'm not the one who posted a troll guide which serves only to mislead people.
I don't see how it can mislead people. It gives another way to look at and value items, it adds to the knowledge, doesn't change it.

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Quote:
Funny how you can say that when you haven't even seen the analysis...

L2analyze perhaps? Or maybe you just need to L2shutup...

Quote:
There is NO way this information is useful. Especially when a better know, better kept place has this information, but in a way that is actually helpful!
Where, exactly, is this found? I've looked for this kind of thing, and haven't seen it...

Quote:
Who are you again, why do you have 2 other accounts?
Why do you care who I am? And why do you think I have 2 other accounts? Because you got down-voted for being a troll? ROFL!!!

Quote:
Here's this: At what point do you care about the efficiency of a single stat of an item, ignoring all other stats of that item? Because that is the only time this is useful.
If you had waited until I actually POSTED the spreadsheet, you would see that the efficiency concepts include ALL core stats for an item, as well as any additional specialized stats (such as actives, etc.).

But did you do the mature thing and wait until I posted it to blast me? NOPE

So, again...

GET OUT...nobody cares about your trolling comments.

If you have something productive to say, then say it. Otherwise...the little "x" at the top right of your screen is the next thing you should be clicking.

Carados

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreicus View Post
Wow, just wow.

If cost wasn't an important thing to consider there'd be no cost. Why make Infinity Edge cost ~4000, because it does a lot of damage and has the unique passive. But if Crit isn't a big concern knowing the cost/point of other damaging items would give you better options.
Let's put it this way: According to this guide, why would you buy IE, when Bloodthirster exists, because it's more efficient then IE when it comes to AD?

Also the fact he's comparing LW and BC to Brutalizer and Starks as far as armor penetration goes...

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreicus View Post
Wow, just wow.
IKR? I don't understand what I did to deserve that kind of trolling...

Quote:
Well, I've got a fairly straightforward approach regarding how I value the items. You can read the basics in the guide so far, but to see the details, you'll have to wait until I finish sorting the spreadsheet.

Quote:
I'll keep an eye on this to see the spreadsheet. I've done a guide like this, on leaguecraft, with a method I think works out pretty well. It's gotten decent response from people.
Would you mind linking me? I'd love to see it!

Quote:
Looking forward to see what you've come up with.
Thanks! I'll probably post it up in an hour or so...

m0gX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2011

ok, now I know carados is just a dumbass when I see weird looking posts in a GP thread from him also

also: what about merc tread for tenacity?

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Quote:
Let's put it this way: According to this guide, why would you buy IE, when Bloodthirster exists, because it's more efficient then IE when it comes to AD?

Also the fact he's comparing LW and BC to Brutalizer and Starks as far as armor penetration goes...
You haven't even seen my analysis, and you think it shows that Bloodthirster is more cost-efficient for all the stats it provides than IE?

ROFL

IE is more cost-efficient for the stats it provides (without including the crit damage bonus) than a Bloodthirster with 0 stacks. IE = BT in terms of cost efficiency @ 10 stacks, if you don't include the crit damage bonus...this is only including core stats.

I did not base this on DPS output, because it would require more work than I cared to do initially. I might expand it later, but for now, this is good enough.

But seeing as you couldn't look at the analysis, you don't even realize you are spouting nonsense...

12345 ... 7