@Riot, Inconsistency in name of Critical Strike/Chance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

icedrake523

07-29-2011

Critical Chance is one stat that is labeled 4 different names among all the items, menus, and runes.

Here's the list of everything

Elixir of Agility: Critical Chance
Brawler's Gloves: Critical Strike
Avarice Blade: Critical Strike
Cloak of Agility: Critical Strike
Zeal: Critical Strike
Executioner's Calling: Critical Strike Chance
Cloak & Dagger: Critical Strike Chance
Atma's Impaler: Critical Strike
Youmuu's Ghostblade: Critical Chance
Phantom Dancer: Critical Strike
Infinity Edge: Critical Strike
Trinity Force: Crit Chance

Store Menu: Critical Strike

Character Stat Menu: Crit Chance

Deadliness Mastery: Critical Strike Chance
Lethality Mastery: Critical Strike

[Lesser/Greater] Quintessence of Malice: Critical Chance
[Lesser/Greater] Mark of Malice: Critical Chance
[Lesser/Greater] Seal of Malice: Critical Chance
[Lesser/Greater] Glyph of Malice: Critical Chance

So we have 4 names for 1 stat among 28 sources
Critical Chance
Critical Strike
Critical Strike Chance
Crit Chance

I can see it being called Crit Chance in Trinity Force because there's so much text to it. But everything else, there's no reason for so many different names.

Is this issue important? No, not really since it doesn't affect the game. But I think it makes Riot look a little careless when they aren't consistent with the name of one statistic. I don't think fixing this would be a huge undertaking since it's just changing text, nothing with the game itself but what would I know?

Just wanted to point this out since it annoys me a bit.

TL;DR: Really? Most of this post is a list. If you are that lazy, Critical Chance, Critical Strike, Critical Strike Chance, and Crit Chance are all the same statistic with different names.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2011

I see what you're saying but...how does that look lazy? Inconsistency in a name? As long as we know what it is. If the name was varied by enough to confuse someone, sure change it. But slight variation in it doesn't really bother me.

icedrake523

07-29-2011

It looks lazy because they didn't double check that a statistic is consistently called the same name. I'm not saying they are lazy, but it is an oversight.

EDIT: Let me re-phrase this. Riot isn't lazy, they work hard on the game. This issue is an oversight that they probably haven't caught or gotten around to fixing since they've been working on other things such as balancing, reworks, new models, and new champions.

get rekd fgt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2011

Do you not sometimes call Boots of swiftness, movement 3 boots? or 3boots?
As long as it doesn't stop you enjoying the game or it confuses people I'm sure it shouldn't deserve the time to be changed. In my opinion.

Master Forums

07-29-2011

While there is no requirement to have all these names being consistent, I doubt it would take long to make all the names match. I would like it if the names were changed to match just because I'm a little OCD. It would just look more professional. It would be like having an item that gave "Attakc Damage," something that causes no change in gameplay, but makes the final product look rushed.

Xusa

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
I see what you're saying but...how does that look lazy? Inconsistency in a name? As long as we know what it is. If the name was varied by enough to confuse someone, sure change it. But slight variation in it doesn't really bother me.
Riot should aim to ease newbie's doubts, not think about if an old player will or not recognize

icedrake523

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnshavenMuff View Post
Do you not sometimes call Boots of swiftness, movement 3 boots? or 3boots?
As long as it doesn't stop you enjoying the game or it confuses people I'm sure it shouldn't deserve the time to be changed. In my opinion.
What you're talking about is something different. That is what a player refers to. Like calling Mercury's Treads "Mercs" or Trinity Force "Triforce." This is more like if Boots of Speed said "Enhanced Movement Speed 1" while Ninja Tabi said "Improved Movement Speed 2" and Boots of Swiftness "Increased Movement Speed 3." They all are referring to the same effect, but it doesn't make sense to refer to the same statistic by 3 different names.

Early on when I started playing, I was confused as to whether Critical Strike and Critical Chance were different. I thought the former improved the damage from crits while the later improved the chance of crits.

Fixing this would help new players and look better. As I said, I don't think it's something that would be very hard to change in the game.

Diamondragan

07-31-2011

Bump. Riot hasn't posted in this forum all year, though, so good luck getting any attention.

I just swore off Zileas for ****ing around in the Champion Discussion forum and went capslock mode on Shurelia for having free time.

Really, the game is in severe disrepair and these biweekly decisions Riot makes poorly are really just disappointing.

I'm not going to suck up to a company with better things to do than listen to it's community. Yeah, no.

Zaggith

08-01-2011

Are you sure you might not be confusing critical *damage* with critical *chance* on some of those items?

trancepticom

08-01-2011

its really easy to figure out, the store menu says critical strike because it means all things crit, and for items, if it doesnt say +critical damage, then it is critical strike chance