[Guide] A Brief AD Ezreal Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pride3

The Council

04-30-2010

Hi all,

I've noticed that most of the time I see Ezreal players, they go for an AP build. Almost all of the remainder go for hybrid builds. In the past week or two, I've only seen one other AD Ezreal. So, I don't really have time to write a full guide, but I also feel like someone needs to "defend the honor" of AD Ezreal, so I'm making this a short guide.

1. Overview
On paper AD Ezreal has the potential to be one of the best carries in the game, taking advantage of the whopping +75% attack speed from his passive. In a team fight, he can dish out some serious damage. He also offers decent healing and a nice attack speed buff for his teammates.

Unfortunately, AD Ezreal's dependence on his passive is also one of his biggest weaknesses. If you miss a few spells in a row and your 5 stacks run out, you have to build them back up. In the meantime, your damage output is greatly reduced. Additionally, if you run out of mana you're going to have the same problem.

Like most carries, AD Ezreal is frail at first, and runs the risk of being killed early in a team battle. Using Arcane Shift (E) to keep your distance is crucial to playing AD Ezreal.

2. Item Builds
My personal favorite build:
- Start: Meki Pendant + 2 Health Pots
- Boots
- Brutalizer
- Upgrade Meki Pendant to Chalice (do this before brutalizer if you have mana problems.)
- Upgrade Boots to Mercury Treads.
- Bloodthirster
- Phage
- Madred's Bloodrazor

Upgrade Phage to Frozen Mallet and Brutalizer to Ghostblade if you find yourself with extra gold.

Build Variations
1. Leviathan: Against a team with high mobility (for example, if they have a Kassadin to blink-chase you) you may want some extra hp. Leviathan is more than worth it if you can manage to build up some stacks. A bit risky, but I find it usually pays off. Buy this either right before or right after upgrading boots.
2. Early Bloodrazor: Against a tank-heavy team (for example, on Twisted Treeline), getting a fast Bloodrazor is very helpful. I suggest getting it right before Bloodthirster.
3. Sword of the Divine: Only against Jax, if needed. Enough said.

Comments
A lot of people swear that Sheen and Rageblade are great choices. Both are certainly good, but in my opinion neither is cost effective. Ezreal's base damage isn't high enough to gain much benefit from Sheen. The good news is, the bonus from Sheen applies to your Q.
1. If you'd prefer a mathematical approach, at level 15 Ezreal's base damage is 91. So you get +73 damage from Sheen, up to once every 3 seconds. That's about 24.333 damage per second. Alternatively, if you buy a pickaxe (+25 damage), then you get a higher dps increase with just 1 auto-attack per second. Note that this isn't factoring in the bonus to Q from pickaxe, and also isn't factoring in the +mana and +ap from Sheen.

2. Rageblade is decent, but I'd much rather use the gold on a B.F. Sword for Bloodthirster.

3. Ability Build
1. Q (Mystic Shot)
2. E (Arcane Shift)
3. Q (Mystic Shot)
4. E (Arcane Shift) * (Comments at end of section)
5. Q (Mystic Shot)
6. R (Trueshot Barrage)
7. Q
8. W (Essence Flux)
9. Q
10. E
11. R
12. E
13. E
14. W
15. W
16. R
17. W
18. W

* One of the biggest criticisms of this kind of build is in the emphasis on Arcane Shift over Essence Flux. Let me just say, Essence Flux is a great skill. The only reason I suggest Arcane Shift instead is, if you're going to be a carry, the mobility (from lower cooldown on Arcane Shift) is invaluable. If someone else is carrying your team (say, your team's Jax got a few kills early on) then you should get Essence Flux instead of Arcane Shift.

4. Summoner Spells

I run with Ignite/Flash. Ignite is invaluable (for obvious reasons), and Flash gives extra mobility - not to mention the combination of Flash followed by Arcane Shift lets you cross a great distance nigh-instantly.

Alternatively (and once Flash is removed), switch in Ghost for Flash.

5. Runes
Red: Armor Penetration
Yellow: Crit Chance
Blue: Cooldown Reduction per level
Quintessences: Health
Attachment 27568

6. Masteries
Cooldown Reduction ftw. See picture.
Attachment 27567

7. Does it really work?
I have a collection of screenshots. I'm only going to post 2 (one of a close match, one of a not-so-close match).
Attachment 27569

Attachment 27570

WWJDFTW

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2010

Pretty good guide, though I think you should consider taking out a level of Q for one of W instead of E earlier on (maybe at like level 9 to boost your AS faster) and try to max E first to max out its damage and decrease its CD, since you have Twitch-like HP without Tristiana-like range and would want to run from a hairy situation as fast as possible. I also wouldn't rush while maxing Mystic Shot since the mana cost can be quite heavy early on when you spam a lot of shots.

You also might want to add placement tips during team fights, since you'd want to be close enough to attack but far enough to not get wrecked. Also maybe a basic laning strat since AD Ez can't insta-gib someone with a EWQ combo as effectively as his AP counterpart. As for his ult, later on it's formidable but not as threatening as a AP Ez's ult, so you might consider using it as a quick passive booster.

One more thing, since AD Ez isn't a burster in the same manner that AP is, you might want to consider more movement, since his skill shot range far outstrips his attack range, so you'd want to accommodate for situations like chasing and kiting. Good luck using AD Ezreal!

Nomnix

07-02-2010

Wouldn't it be better to have 3 Greater Quintessences of Vigor for faster health Regen.
Just a thought.

xahhfink6

07-02-2010

You should get MP/5/level in seals and/or glyphs, they will really pay off, also, consider trying getting a catalyst->banshee's veil instead of your chalice... this would also save you from having to buy phage because of the massive hp boost from banshee's, and the MR would save you from needing merc treads so you can get swiftness instead.

Additionally, I don't feel the attack speed or effect from madred's is that useful, you might be better off going further into damage with either blackcleaver (which procs on mystic) or Infinity edge for nasty auto attacks.

MustardOnTheBeat

07-03-2010

Drop the crit chance runes and cool down reduction. Complete waste of space.
Get scaling mana regen in blues and yellows. Armor pen in reds and quints. Drop the chalice, and meki pendant. Get sapphire crystal in place of meki. This allows you to get the more powerful items early, thus negating the small advantage of crit chance and cool down reduction. With blues and yellows with mana regen, you won't be going back for mana, unless you spam you E early on. This will allow you to lane longer, get gold and levels faster. More items, faster, etc and so on and so forth.

Personal preference here, I have the exhaust mastery with exhaust. MANY times this has gotten me the first blood and random kills throughout the game. For example, you keep picking and Pantheon with mystic shot, he finally gets fed up and decides he is going to drop your squishy ass. He hops over and attacks, you exhaust, Q, E, auto-attack, Q, auto-attack. He will drop or run. Which leads me to my next Summoner spell, ghost. Early on, Ez is slow as hell. You will need to to chase down enemies and get away from ganks.

Boots should adapt to enemy team's make-up.

A variation I sometimes play is changing my masteries to 21/0/9 to really beef up the kills early game, and instead of ghost, I take clarity. This will allow you to spam your skills, get kills and level faster. Also it helps if your laning partner is mana dependent.

I always plan for the early game. A good early game leads to an easy or nonexistent late game.

kearndog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2010

Is AD better than AP because as I see it. Ez's ult is pretty much useless if you're AD, and I don't know enough about his AP ratios and stuff to say for sure... but I think AP hits harder. I don't understand why every single ezreal thinks AD is the **** now-a-days.

MustardOnTheBeat

07-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearndog View Post
Is AD better than AP because as I see it. Ez's ult is pretty much useless if you're AD, and I don't know enough about his AP ratios and stuff to say for sure... but I think AP hits harder. I don't understand why every single ezreal thinks AD is the **** now-a-days.
Because overall damage is greater. I honestly don't know the math off the top of my head, but one of the council members proved it mathematically. It was a very long, drawn out, in depth explanation. AD>AP

Cirno9

07-26-2010

Why would you go for crit chance seals if you aren't aiming for an infinity edge. If you're aiming for any crits at all, you should aim for infinity edge for the crit damage. Otherwise, I don't see why it's needed. MP/5 would be much more useful, because, at most, you'd only need a meki pendant, saving you around 500-890 gold.

xahhfink6

07-26-2010

Catalyst -> Banshee's is better than Meki->Chalice...

Your build started out alright but then went "omgwtfbbq" really fast.

WHY would you get madred's??? For a second I thought you realized that attack damage ezreal meant GETTING ATTACK DAMAGE. Make that an infinity edge or a blackcleaver instead and you'll do a lot better.

Picklesnshakes

08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhfink6 View Post
Catalyst -> Banshee's is better than Meki->Chalice...

Your build started out alright but then went "omgwtfbbq" really fast.

WHY would you get madred's??? For a second I thought you realized that attack damage ezreal meant GETTING ATTACK DAMAGE. Make that an infinity edge or a blackcleaver instead and you'll do a lot better.

It would seem that if you've got high AS, that 3% max life magic damage would add up, especially if the opponent has been stacking armor against your physical attacks.