(guide) Hybrid Kennen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pesterer

11-28-2010

First guide ever so be easy on me!

runes-
I normally use Attack Speed yellow, CDR blue, and Magic Pen red.
You may want to mix in a energy rune or two as the cdr will drain your energy really quickly if you're constantly spamming the shriken like you should.

Masteries-
9/21/0. Kennen is extremely squishy and you will be focused when you pop your ult every time. This build gives you extra time to stun and GTFO b4 you die. Also grab magic pen and cdr from offense tree.

Items- CORE BUILD
Start with dorans shield and a health pot. No exceptions, no excuses.
Build your magic pen shoes next, grabbing a red elixer* along the way.
Guinuso's Rageblade next, keeping your red elixer* up.
Grab a vampiric sceptor then the gunblade, possibly both as gold allows it, then go back to finish the gunblade
* Red elixer is mandatory if you want to survive. Grabbing a blue one is totally up to you. I find it too expensive.

Items- Endgame
The rest depends on your playstyle. I'd reccomend Nashor's Tooth, Reighly's, and Zhongya's. Nashor's for AS and CDR, Reighly's for survivability and cc, and Zhongya's for epic damage and ult-zhonging.

Lvling Order-
R>Q>W>E, grabbing 1 point in E at lvl 4 to keep it's utility.

Summoner Spells-
Grab Cleanse. No exceptions, no excuses. Whatever next is up to you. I personally prefer flash.

Your Role-
Your job, in any build as kennen is not to deal damage (tho that helps when you do), but to make it so that your team can kill the other team and not be killed themselves. Stun them when they run. Stun them when they fight. Stun them when they tower dive. Stun them when they're just standing there. You get the point? You see a ally being chased by a faster enemy? Go up there and stun that enemy so your buddy can escape. Hopefully you can get a kill from it, but if not, no biggie.

Tips and Tricks-
Do NOT run into the middle of the enemy group when you pop your ult (unless it's 3 or less). Instead, remember that your bolts can only hit 3 People at once, and skirt the out side of the fight trying to keep 3 people in your ring. It'll last long enough to get most of them and you wont have died!
Remember that doran's shield? Well, it makes you suprisingly hard to kill early game. Use that to your advantage and be aggressive, within reason of course.
Your shruiken can tell you if your enemy is hiding in the bushes. Just throw it in and listen for the distinctive electricity sound. If you hit them, hit W and it'll point you right at him. This can also be done with stealthed players too.
Your shruiken has more range than turrets do. If they try to turret hump even or slightly ahead of the turret you can still hit him!

Pesterer

11-28-2010

any thoughts?

SpikeSpigel

11-28-2010

i am playing kennen and i prefer as/dmg build not that your guide is wrong or something your role may depend on the setup of your team i usually w8 until full collision take place and then rush with ulty into the mess

Pesterer

11-29-2010

i tried that once and failed miserably, but then again, this is hybrid, not physical. Sometimes you can get away with ulting as you do, but more often than not, death occurs. Mine is safer unless you play against noobs. Thanks for the input tho. At least someone cares!

Threpe

11-29-2010

I can't stress enough how bad I think Nashor's is for Kennen. The mp/5 is obviously wasted, and CDR is a 'meh' stat for him at best. Kennen can already burst through his energy supply (as you've identified), so there's no need to make that easier. His ult is on a short enough CD that it should be up for teamfights.

Even AS is lackluster on him. Obviously it benefits his W, but you rarely have the opportunity to autoattack long enough to stack on even two Marks of the Storm.

Really I just like straight up AP on him. The only AS item I would consider is Guinsoo's Rageblade, and even then it's mainly for the AP and because shuriken spam is an effective way to keep up 8 stacks.

As to your choice of runes, I can't agree with a setup that uses two non-primary runes. Why have CDR yellows instead of blues when it's primary for blues? I hope that you made an error and meant to say CDR blues and AS yellows. In that case it is true that there are a lot of non-primary options for yellows that make sense for Kennen.

Pesterer

11-29-2010

fixed, sorry. Anyway, with cdr and blue buff ive gotten my shruiken down to half a second cd which is a major nuke. And blue buff revives energy as well as mana