Counter Vayne, Help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GalacticFlame

07-28-2011

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone out there in the LoL community can provide me with tips on countering Vayne. Generally, if I'm laning with Vayne, she out harasses me fairly easily. That's early game, and no, I'm sorry, I cannot afford a thornmail that early, nor would it be a good idea to purchase thornmail that early in my opinion. At the beginning of the game she can already begin harassing good with Q or her W, and, due to me being a melee player right now, I can't last hit from a range. Generally, I tend to last hit from the tower, but it it isn't very reliable, and I might miss a few last hits.

So, how can I do anything if Vayne is pelting me with harass like crazy. No, please don't say lane switch, I want to know how to counter Vayne, not lane switching so my other partner has a head ache as well. Just kidding, but I'd rather you provide feedback on countering Vayne herself, not letting your other team mate counter her. Also, please, please don't say "go play XXXXXX he/she can domiante Vayne". Currently I play Akali, Gragas and occasionally Corki.

Thanks in advance for anyone with constructive feedback!

GalacticFlame

07-28-2011

Shameless bump to become a better player.

Lantagonist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2011

usually in low elo or normal games vayne will take mid or top solo where corki can easily just farm along side her, in a lane solo with vayne u want to just farm, trying to harass will cause u to die

akali should never lane against vayne, from playing a good deal of akali (70% wins in ranked and nearly 100 games, along with many normals) the best idea is to switch lanes, vayne's kit is too much for akali to handle and a ranged ap carry or ad carry with a great deal of harass (mf or someone like brand/annie) will fare better

i don't have much experience with gragas as i've never laned against vayne with him and have rarely played him so you'll need someone else to help u

in higher elo games (1500+) vayne will be in a dual bot which should house your support and ad carry and trying to harass will be futile and you should just farm the whole laning phase of the game

Nea De Penserhir

07-28-2011

Agreed. If you get stuck with Vayne, ask to switch with a ranged player. There are ways to deal with her as a melee, but they mostly involve having a gap closer and making clever use of brush, as well as baiting her Tumble while not allowing her to get the auto attack before hand.

None of which I'd recommend without good ping, or playing as a Tanky fighter.

Xeroxhands

07-28-2011

It sounds like you play 3 characters who counter vayne pretty well...

Most vayne's will level Q and W first to maximize silver bolt damage, so if you get hit by an auto-attack or two, hang back and wait for the third to dissipate. Also, even a little armor goes a long way against her early game (as long as you're not getting 3x silver arrowed).

Once Akali hits 6 or so, she gets in Vayne's face and basically destroys her, even without items. Gragas can ult/barrel/headbut combo at 6 to almost entirely kill her. And I don't even think I need to explain how Corki can out-harass her early game.

If she's harassing you, she's not last hitting as well as she probably should be, so remember that too. She's not a great solo lane champ, but in duo bot she can definitely give you some problems early if her support is decent. She also has extremely low life early on, so if she goes doran's blade, do a little damage to her early, forcing her to use doran's lifesteal on full-health creeps (which pushes your lane to tower). If she goes boots, she only has a few pots for sustainability and is squishy early. And if she goes Regrowth Pendant, she's not doing max damage to you early game.

I guess in other words, what exactly are you looking for?

GalacticFlame

07-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroxhands View Post
It sounds like you play 3 characters who counter vayne pretty well...

Most vayne's will level Q and W first to maximize silver bolt damage, so if you get hit by an auto-attack or two, hang back and wait for the third to dissipate. Also, even a little armor goes a long way against her early game (as long as you're not getting 3x silver arrowed).

Once Akali hits 6 or so, she gets in Vayne's face and basically destroys her, even without items. Gragas can ult/barrel/headbut combo at 6 to almost entirely kill her. And I don't even think I need to explain how Corki can out-harass her early game.

If she's harassing you, she's not last hitting as well as she probably should be, so remember that too. She's not a great solo lane champ, but in duo bot she can definitely give you some problems early if her support is decent. She also has extremely low life early on, so if she goes doran's blade, do a little damage to her early, forcing her to use doran's lifesteal on full-health creeps (which pushes your lane to tower). If she goes boots, she only has a few pots for sustainability and is squishy early. And if she goes Regrowth Pendant, she's not doing max damage to you early game.

I guess in other words, what exactly are you looking for?
I'm looking for perhaps playstyle feedback, like a specific method of playing, perhaps like staying behind creeps, or stuff like that. But the problem with staying behind creeps is that you will miss out on last hits, as the Vayne would probably harass you when or if you go out of your turtle mode.

Also, to everyone, thanks for al the great feedback, keep it coming!

Duckybean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2011

When I'm playing as Akali vs. Vayne, I usually pretend to be very weak before level 6. Don't try to poke her too much, she's better at that then you are, every Q you extend to land will likely cost you more, focus on last hitting.

Hug the turret - play scared when Vayne gets bold - Melee minions that haven't been damaged can take two turret hits before you kill them, casters 1.

At level 6, poke her with your Q and back off as if you're still scared - don't trigger the mark until Q's cooldown is just about up again. If you kick her in the face with R to trigger your first Q and follow it up with a second Q/triggered mark, you'll drop her quickly - and she will not be expecting such an aggressive move. If she's not dead, she'll probably panic and run - slow, squishy and no threat at that point.

If you can have both of your passives activated with runes/masteries - you can rush Sheen to start which will add to your burst potential.

(edit: I play a lot of normal games, maybe this doesn't work in 'pro' or rated games - it's just what I've had success with so far. She gave me a lot of trouble at first.)

Good luck!

Zeanxe

07-28-2011

Vayne is easy. i can 1v1 here mid with current panth and still come out on top. its all down to timing.

Dumaraz

07-28-2011

I main Vayne.

Gragas and Corki I have little experience fighting; so I will leave the case for those chars open for discuss.

Akali: I have to say (like many have already said,) at LV6 is a red-flag for Vayne, just because her ult allows her to get in Vayne's face gauranteed for Akali's Q procs which hurt without any Damage items and can go sour and 3-4-shot Vayne.

Important to note, Akali cannot touch Vayne until lv6, a Vayne, much like myself, will play extremely aggressive to even buy an invis ward (around lv3-or lv5) to place in brush on 3v3 or mid on 5v5 norm-map to feed quickly for careless Akali players, just to make her life harder before and after lv6, so she can't escape with mini smoke-bombs and the like.

If you're melee, and you don;t have a hard cc or gap-closer, then it's hard to Solo lane against Vayne, period. You will have to play defensive, and stay out of tumble range while trying to last hit for gold, or just close enough to just basically Get XP. Well timed Summoner spells like exhaust with just alil offense can truly put her on the defensive end with low health, or death.

GalacticFlame

07-28-2011

Cool thanks. So basically, I have to play relatively defensively for a good portion of the laning phase, but once I get stronger, I can smack Vayne in the face and take her down, is what I'm getting right now?