Which of the following components is essential to the definition of kiting?

Dealing damage to an enemy 52 38.24%
Not taking any damage in return 50 36.76%
Moving away from the enemy 71 52.21%
Something else? 26 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

What is the definition of "Kiting"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RHINO Mk II

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthas Menethil View Post
But anyway this thread is mainly because the poll worked against his favour so he made a new thread.
I merely wanted to see what people think kiting is since apparently 33% of them believe Singed is the best character in the game to do it. That is all.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO Mk II View Post
Ashe, because you can run back after every shot with Q, and the slow typically means that they cannot run faster than you are even though you pause to fire.

My strict definition of kiting is that you must deal damage while the opponent cannot hit you in return, and usually you do this by moving backwards.

Ashe can even force you to be kited because she will chase you while slowing with autoattacks if you turn around and run away, even though she can do the same thing if you move towards her again.
By your definition, there is not a single champion in the entire game who can kite, except certain ranged characters against... possibly soraka, and mordekaiser. And that's it. (Well, maybe Ezreal with Lizard buff against Tryndamere. Sure)

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

04-29-2010

Quote:
I merely wanted to see what people think kiting is since apparently 33% of them believe Singed is the best character in the game to do it. That is all.
Don't lie >.> it makes you look even worse. At least admit it.

Razerwind

04-29-2010

It's all 3 actually. Taking damage doesn't mean you're not kiting. It's more of minimizing damage while doing damage to a trailing player.

RHINO Mk II

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
By your definition, there is not a single champion in the entire game who can kite, except certain ranged characters against... possibly soraka, and mordekaiser. And that's it. (Well, maybe Ezreal with Lizard buff against Tryndamere. Sure)
Ashe can do it to most melee champions. Tristana with frozen mallet does fairly well too.

Arthas Menethil

04-29-2010

Quote:
I'm sore over that poll and made a new post to try to satisfy my rage.

fmwyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-29-2010

Not to sound like the internet expert here, but I can tell you the most exact definition of kiting possible.

Kiting is not just moving away from an enemy because that would actually be called running, fleeing or being a pansy. Kiting is running/fleeing but only to get enough range on a person in order to shoot them, with the hopes of being able to continually shoot them without getting hit. Even if you are running away and still getting hit, it is still considered kiting but also considered bad kiting.

Kiting cannot be determined by anything other than using some form of movement to your advantage (Even if unsuccessful because they are hitting you).

In a real sense, kiting was invented based off viewing a sky-view upon characters. One character would attack the other and then, like a kite, the other character would follow him. As you walk forward, it walks forward, but never actually advancing all the way up to you unless you fail really hard.

Remiko Elliot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

RHINO Mk II

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmwyso View Post
Not to sound like the internet expert here, but I can tell you the most exact definition of kiting possible.

Kiting is not just moving away from an enemy because that would actually be called running, fleeing or being a pansy. Kiting is running/fleeing but only to get enough range on a person in order to shoot them, with the hopes of being able to continually shoot them without getting hit. Even if you are running away and still getting hit, it is still considered kiting but also considered bad kiting.

Kiting cannot be determined by anything other than using some form of movement to your advantage (Even if unsuccessful because they are hitting you).

In a real sense, kiting was invented based off viewing a sky-view upon characters. One character would attack the other and then, like a kite, the other character would follow him. As you walk forward, it walks forward, but never actually advancing all the way up to you unless you fail really hard.
Thank you for your on-topic and helpful response. It is very similar to what I myself consider Kiting.

Brokroma

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copybass View Post
Aww. How cute. It thinks it can troll. <3
Omigosh it quoted my reply!