Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Jungler's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mylon

06-22-2010

I don't know if anyone that has to pop an elixir to jungle really should count as a jungler. That's sacrificing a lot of starting gold just to match a proper jungler.

Jungling really does seem mandatory for a good performing team. The level/cash advantage to be had is tremendous.

JohnCataldo

06-22-2010

I don't LIKE to use elixirs when jungling, because it partially defeats the point, but there's a LOT to be said for having three players level up as if they are solos (which elixirs can help you keep up with). Imagine you are given the option to pay 300 gold to give two players on your team +2 levels by level 7. That's a pretty good deal. =)

nicosharp

06-22-2010

Red Elixir Jungle is risk vs. reward.

Someone like Gragas, that can really only jungle quickly with Red Pot can highly benefit:
1) worry free gold while still building tank from lvls 1-5
2) Ability to keep hp relatively high while hitting lvls 4-5
3) huge benefit to lane ganking from lvls 4-5 (Red pot usually drops right around when you hit 6)

Olaf also has the same benefits, increasing his damage, and his passives effectiveness, and also his survivability while its up. Most other Tier 1 Junglers are fine without Red.

Ginormous Noob

06-22-2010

Nasus is good at junglig, i'd say tier 1 or 2

cloth armor + 5 hp pots
ive been usin flat hp quints, armor pen reds, red/yellow blue mana regen/5 cuz i dont feel like changing my runes

1/17/13 masteries i believe
ghost/smite

can do golem > small camp>wraith camp>other small camp>lizard, and i believe you should be level 4, if not, go do a small camp on the other side, and go gank with wither

starting with a smaller camp also works as well

cloth armor > red madreds > aegis + sheen + merc treads > finish madreds
I believe this works too: cloth armor > HoG + aegis, sheen, merc treads

Pros: if done well, you are very tanky and do a lot of dps with your ult + madreds, and you can control dragon
Cons: I've messed up one game, and did not do so well later on

Excession

06-26-2010

You might want to add the 0/17/13 mastery build that involves

MAX Resistance (+6 MR)
2 points Hardiness or 1 point with Willpower (+2 armor and -20 seconds Cleanse CD or +4 armor)
MAX Strength of Spirit (Hp regen +0.3% of mana)
MAX Evasion (+2% dodge)
MAX Nimbleness (+10% MS when dodge)
MAX Veterans Scars (+60 HP)
MAX Perseverance (+4% regen)
Haste
MAX Awareness (+5% EXP)
MAX Meditation (+1 MPregen)
MAX Utiltiy MAstery (+30% monster Buffs)

JohnCataldo

06-28-2010

I haven't looked over the main post since long before it was recently updated. Thanks for the shoutout on Udyr. Some general thoughts:

Ignite: Worth explicitly mentioning that it can hit jungle creeps? (Most people probably know this, but some n00bs might not.)

Fortify: While I rarely take it as a jungler, Fortify's value to the team goes up if you DO have a jungler. You have a 1v2 lane (likely), and that player may die while you are on the other side of the map (let's be realistic). Unless the jungler or 2v2 lane has Teleport, and it's not on cooldown, you are probably subjecting your tower to a good bit of damage. The 1v2 player is likely to be playing close to his/her own tower, so the enemy is right there to whack it if the player dies. If the jungler can 'afford' to take Fortify that's maybe fine, but in a premade of any kind other champs should consider taking Fortify a little more strongly. (Clairvoyance is also affected this way -- while the Jungler himself perhaps shouldn't invest in it, the value to the team having it goes up.)

Exhaust: Explicitly, this skill is good for ganking, which any jungling champion should be looking to do at all times.

"Both Sight, and normal wards are very key"...
I'm pretty sure Sight Wards are the cheap, non-stealth-seeing ones, and Vision Wards are the more expensive magical wards.

timedpath

Recruiter

06-29-2010

nasus
strength - life leech (though its not great), aoe armor debuff, last hitting only makes him stronger
weakness - really mana dependant, kinda slow starter
item start and build - Cloth Armor, 5x hp pots --> rushing aegis or heart of gold and boots of your choice
jungle pattern - small camp preferably golem first, other small camp, blue pill back, buy boots go to golem grab buff, off to wraiths then lizard. gank once u got both or sub in a lane for someone who needs to buy. i found this build during a practice game with my friends
skill path is eqewer prioritizing r>e>q>w
he can be played as a tank or anything else that comes to mind
u should be able to get +14 before u get out of jungle if u do it right

timedpath

Recruiter

06-29-2010

Malphite - Tier 2(Thanks to MatadorRED)(Page 6 by Radchek as well, and XMadMageX page 8)
strength - passive shield regenerates between camps, W and E are both aoe and help to do small creeps quicker, after you get ninja tabi + dodge runes, you dodge enough that your shield barely breaks
weakness - smite is required to be able to jungle quick enough, no good escape mechanism, low mana pool (lives off of golem until you get mana manip)
item start and build - Cloth Armor, 5x HP pots --> ninja tabi (dodge), soul shroud (CDR/need 1 mana item), then build sunfire capes
jungle pattern - start at golem --> small creeps, recall at ~1000 gold so you can buy tabi + mana manip (in solo q, golem buff gets stolen, even from your own team, you need your own supply of mana)

malphite is completely dependant on his runes, armor/hp runes is almost a necessity. making him not the greatest jungler, without the runes hes reali slow at creeping.

nicosharp

06-29-2010

I think that kind of goes without saying timed. In many ways all junglers are made by your runes and your mastery builds.. There are a handful that are fine with pretty much anything, but most hugely benefit from a solid Rune set specific for jungling, and masteries and summoner skills to support them. (I will update the original post soon with your info. for Nasus.)

timedpath

Recruiter

06-29-2010

ty nico ur cool