Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Trist Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XseekerX

04-27-2010

Ok I just simply <3 playing Tristana......so i want you guys to tell me how good is my build with some reasoning and what might make it better.

Ok I start off with either a Doran's Blade with 1 HP pot or a vampiric scepter (really depends on whos gonna do mid from the other team -.-)

then the order goes like this
boots
bf sword then make that into black cleaver (The reason I get black cleaver here is cause usually it is made within lvl 12 or less and -60 armor reduction is friggin huge....u can even turn tanks to squishies at this lvl and squishies to even more squishes)
(usually i stick in a berserkers or mercury here depending on the other team)
Phantom dancer (Just for the sheer amount of stats it grants- AS, MS, crit chance and dodge)
after this all i make is dmg items
either a blood thirster or IE in any order but i get both
and then for the slow and extra hp i get frozen mallet

I usually replace Phantom Dancer with a Last Whisper if they have tanked team or sometimes go with Sword of the divine just for that OP jax -.-

I use Armor Pen marks and quints, attack speed glyphs, and dodge seals (yea i know i dont need em.....was actually for surviability but those were the noob times....gonna replace these soon...dont know if i should go attack speed, crit chance or crit dmg here...so i welcome the suggestions).

Btw i dont play trist by maxing out rapid fire...i ALWAYS max out rocket jump (and yes i know the slow debuff is just 2.5 sec every lvl) but i get it for the sheer burst dmg i get from it at early lvls....so most of the times i get kills within lvl 6 or less (not bragging but im prtty good at landing the jump at proper places)....by the time i have black cleaver i have like 2 points in rapid fire which is more than enough.....and yea for summoner spells I use flash and exhaust, flash and ignite or exhaust and ignite- this one when im really feeling to go RAWRR lol and yes i also use cleanse sometimes instead of flash as well...that usually happens if in the earlier game flash failed in situations....but usually depends on enemy team but you dont know who u would go against and ofc i take cleanse when im in a premade team cause i assume the enemy team will be good and they are gonna have some ccs....now some ppl may say you already have a rocket jump why do you need flash...well i use it for 1)ofc to get away cause sometimes rocket jump isnt enough and u do take dmg when u jump so if im in a messy situation i do flash and then rocket jump 2)sometimes to catch up the fleeing enemies 3) sometimes to position myself to hit the rocket jump in a favorable place 4) sometimes when u are trying to rocket jump and buster shot enemies they anticipate you and move a lil bit behind but by that time rocket jump has hit but ure not behind the enemy to use your buster shot...so what do i do flash and then buster shot them...thats all

so guys tell me your builds and stuff and why it works for u and tell me some of the flaws you find with my build (doubt ill change it but ill try it out and see the results xD )

Mesa H

04-27-2010

For the runes part i'll suggest AS for seals, but that's just me, never crit dmg, i think we got that issue figured out

i agree on maxing rocket jump, because early game you need that to kill.

For summoner's skills i suggest cleanse and exhaust, try it if you have the time, works pretty dang well.

Mella Kara

04-27-2010

Getting damage first is the way to go with Tristana, so you've got that down, but I'd replace BF sword with a pickaxe if you're getting a little beat up early game.

Black cleaver is good, but if the enemy team is mostly going to end up with a lot of armor (200+) you're better off skipping black cleaver and just going straight for Last Whisper (IMO).

For boots I would never get berserkers, simply because Tristana doesn't make much use of attack speed early game and has a buff for it anyway. She's much better off with something like merc's or BoM.

I used to max rocket jump first myself, but the problem I found with it is that you can't harass well with it. You can only really use it when you're ready to commit to the kill. I'd get Explosive Shot first, but only to level 4 because by the time it can hit level 5 it's not that significant of a boost any more (unless you're fighting squishies).

For runes I'd definitely replace your aspd glyphs with cooldown glyphs. You're not going to buy much cdr with Tristana so the boost is something you really benefit from; however you're going to buy aspd so getting it in runes isn't so comparable. Agreed on the armor pen though.

Also, infinity edge should be a part of every Tristana build. The extra crit damage is something that's not easy to ignore.

XseekerX

04-27-2010

Quote:
Mella Kara:
Getting damage first is the way to go with Tristana, so you've got that down, but I'd replace BF sword with a pickaxe if you're getting a little beat up early game.

Black cleaver is good, but if the enemy team is mostly going to end up with a lot of armor (200+) you're better off skipping black cleaver and just going straight for Last Whisper (IMO).

For boots I would never get berserkers, simply because Tristana doesn't make much use of attack speed early game and has a buff for it anyway. She's much better off with something like merc's or BoM.

I used to max rocket jump first myself, but the problem I found with it is that you can't harass well with it. You can only really use it when you're ready to commit to the kill. I'd get Explosive Shot first, but only to level 4 because by the time it can hit level 5 it's not that significant of a boost any more (unless you're fighting squishies).

For runes I'd definitely replace your aspd glyphs with cooldown glyphs. You're not going to buy much cdr with Tristana so the boost is something you really benefit from; however you're going to buy aspd so getting it in runes isn't so comparable. Agreed on the armor pen though.

Also, infinity edge should be a part of every Tristana build. The extra crit damage is something that's not easy to ignore.

U can start to harass an opponent at lvl 2...well i usuallly do that....i clear of the melee minions then get like one of the ranged minion down where my roket jump will kill it and most of the time in mid the ranged opponent will definitely be moving around behind the ranged minions so i rocket jump pull off an expolsive shot and then hit 1-2 shots then ignite or exhaust them then if they still manage to run i hit the flash bttn(by this time they are only 1-2 hit away)

and if this dont work i wait for my cds to finish and repeat the process most of the time it works for me....and i dont have much problem with mana as i put my 9 points in utility and 21 in offense with extra dmg on minions just to clear them off a lil bit quick so when i attack my enemy there arent much minions left that can attack me ...

also if the enemy team has tank that is gonna end up with lots of armor then isnt black cleaver good cause like lets say a rammus has 260 armor so with black cleaver his armor drops to 200 and with last whiperer it ignores 40% which mean ull be attacking a rammus with 120 armor....correct me if im wrong i dont know all the game mechanics.....

and this might sound a bit odd but ive had more problems with a good morde and anvia mid than a good ashe or a teemo :S...that shield and anvia's early burst + egg is so **** annoying...any suggestion on how to keep them at bay?.....and 1 thing can u tell me again why i shuld get cd reduction on glyphs for her....i mean how can it help increase dmg output?? thank you

Mella Kara

04-27-2010

CDR won't really increase your damage output unless you're ready to fire off whatever skills you have as soon as they're off cooldown, but it will do three things.
1- Keep you safe - rocket jump and buster shot more often = less chance you'll be caught defenseless
2- Keep your DPS up - rapid fire, not much else to say there
3- Allow you to harass more - Explosive shot is great for harassment.

Since Tristana doesn't usually get CDR in items as I said, that 8% or whatever it is makes a pretty big difference.

I'll admit that rocket jump does make for a very good early game killing device, I just feel that explosive shot is a much safer skill to harass with.

As for Mordekaiser, this is where explosive shot specifically comes into play. It drains his armor pretty quickly, and Morde won't usually go near minions without his shield up. He has to get close to you to do damage, so you can just shoot once and back off.

Same with Anivia; explosive shot allows you to just fire once and then focus on keeping out of her skills.

As for the Black Cleaver point, you're right in that it takes out a nice chunk of armor (your runes should take almost 30 to start with if you stacked it on enough), but the problem is that flat armor pen doesn't synergize too well with percentage based armor pen. Take this scenario for example:

Rammus has 360 armor. Black Cleaver takes away 60 armor, leaving him with a flat 300; 40% is then deducted by Last Whisper, which translates to 120 armor, ending in 180.
OR
Rammus has 360 armor. Last Whisper takes away 40%, which translates to roughly 144 armor, ending in 216.

Essentially, by combining Last Whisper and Black Cleaver, in this particular situation (a likely end-game one) Black Cleaver is only deducting 36 armor; nearly a 50% loss in effectiveness.
I used 200 as an example because 40% of 200 is 80 armor, which is more than Black Cleaver can provide. Maybe if 200 was the endgame amount of armor, combining the two wouldn't be so bad. But I still think it would be better to just get flat armor penetration at that point.

XseekerX

04-27-2010

Quote:
Mella Kara:
CDR won't really increase your damage output unless you're ready to fire off whatever skills you have as soon as they're off cooldown, but it will do three things.
1- Keep you safe - rocket jump and buster shot more often = less chance you'll be caught defenseless
2- Keep your DPS up - rapid fire, not much else to say there
3- Allow you to harass more - Explosive shot is great for harassment.

Since Tristana doesn't usually get CDR in items as I said, that 8% or whatever it is makes a pretty big difference.

I'll admit that rocket jump does make for a very good early game killing device, I just feel that explosive shot is a much safer skill to harass with.

As for Mordekaiser, this is where explosive shot specifically comes into play. It drains his armor pretty quickly, and Morde won't usually go near minions without his shield up. He has to get close to you to do damage, so you can just shoot once and back off.

Same with Anivia; explosive shot allows you to just fire once and then focus on keeping out of her skills.

As for the Black Cleaver point, you're right in that it takes out a nice chunk of armor (your runes should take almost 30 to start with if you stacked it on enough), but the problem is that flat armor pen doesn't synergize too well with percentage based armor pen. Take this scenario for example:

Rammus has 360 armor. Black Cleaver takes away 60 armor, leaving him with a flat 300; 40% is then deducted by Last Whisper, which translates to 120 armor, ending in 180.
OR
Rammus has 360 armor. Last Whisper takes away 40%, which translates to roughly 144 armor, ending in 216.

Essentially, by combining Last Whisper and Black Cleaver, in this particular situation (a likely end-game one) Black Cleaver is only deducting 36 armor; nearly a 50% loss in effectiveness.
I used 200 as an example because 40% of 200 is 80 armor, which is more than Black Cleaver can provide. Maybe if 200 was the endgame amount of armor, combining the two wouldn't be so bad. But I still think it would be better to just get flat armor penetration at that point.

Thank you very much on clearing that black cleaver thingy ....now 1 more question actually 2 since in those game i wont be getting black cleaver and phantom is replaced by last whisper what should i get instead of black cleaver and why and what kind of seals should i get?

Mella Kara

04-27-2010

I would get Infinity Edge if you didn't already get it, for the reason stated above.

If you did already get it, another bloodthirster never hurts (well, it might hurt the enemy quite a bit) and of course more damage=more crit damage. Of course if there is some special situation, such as lots of spellcasters, you could save the last slot for something like Banshee's.

Seals, I'm not really sure; I just got mana regen seals because I found myself low on mana often, now it feels just right. It might be more practical to get something like dodge or a little bit of defense, though.