Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] +1 for bursting out of brush as bear going OMNOMNOMNOM! A guide to Udyr.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

goldpenguin77

06-02-2010

Quote:
TehRizzle:

I usually go a mix of Tank/Damage Udyr in this map. You should rush a Innervating Locket, boots of choice, Starks (Auras win games in TT), Aegis of the Legion, Black Cleaver, Frozen Mallet.

I've tried going locket first, but it's not doing so well for me. Maybe I'm not getting gold fast enough or something, but I find that since ganks start so early on TT, I don't have the damage output I'd like starting out with the locket.

Do I just need to L2P? (BTW, I am a relative noob, I won't be offended if you say yes!)

Bear Positive

06-05-2010

Just read your guide. It was the most entertaining and thought provoking read about a character that I've wanted to try out in a very long time. I'll let you know how my games go. This isn't just a bump, it's a promise <3.

Pwnacus Maximus

06-07-2010

i really <3 this guide. at one point i hit ghost and bear, burst out of the bushes, and nommed on some poor svir

after she died she said:
"jesus christ man... you were like a ****ing... bear...missile...thing!"
i replied:
"FROM NOW ON I SHALL BE KNOWN AS THE ALMIGHTY ****ING BEARMISSLE, EATER OF SQUISHIES! FEAR ME!"

<3

that being said, I was thinking of trying jungling with udyr. should i start off with different items, and with turtle, or phoenix? i know i should obviously start with golem, and take cleanse + smite instead of ghost + smite. what do you think?

Manse

06-08-2010

Quote:
Pwnacus Maximus:
i really <3 this guide. at one point i hit ghost and bear, burst out of the bushes, and nommed on some poor svir

after she died she said:
"jesus christ man... you were like a ****ing... bear...missile...thing!"
i replied:
"FROM NOW ON I SHALL BE KNOWN AS THE ALMIGHTY ****ING BEARMISSLE, EATER OF SQUISHIES! FEAR ME!"

<3

that being said, I was thinking of trying jungling with udyr. should i start off with different items, and with turtle, or phoenix? i know i should obviously start with golem, and take cleanse + smite instead of ghost + smite. what do you think?

This post is from the Jungler's guide to the galaxy. Serious love to John for testing all this:

Quote:
JohnCataldo:
Udyr Jungling Options
For fun I've tried a bunch of different jungling builds, all starting with Golem, because he really needs that mana at early levels. In each case focus down the big Golem first, and take a health pot as soon as you get hurt. (That doesn't apply to Vampiric Sceptre builds, though you could possibly wait around for money to buy a pot, but it delays your jungling start.) This isn't quite complete (I haven't tried EVERY variation yet) but I've managed to start off with Tiger, Turtle, or Phoenix, and with different items including Sapphire Crystal, Cloth Armor, Longsword, or Vampiric Scepter.

I'm level 30, with Dodge/Cooldown/Armor-Pen runes and flat Health quints. Masteries vary between 9/21/0 and 21/9/0 (for Tiger centered builds), though I've also tried things like 1/14/15 (up to Cleanse/Health in Defense and movement speed in Utility) and they work fine and can be safer/faster very early on because of the XP bonus.

As far as I can tell, as long as you make sure you have enough mana after killing Golem (to be able to pop into Turtle or just spam Phoenix/Tiger more), Udyr can jungle with any of these starts:

Longsword + Health Pot with Phoenix, Turtle, or Tiger at level 1. Turtle is the slowest to kill Golem, but you have the most health and mana afterwards (even though it takes you longer). If you are worried about ganks, Turtle is saftest. (You can also start with Turtle no matter which direction you want to go later, since you will always want to max out Turtle eventually and you need it for jungling anyway.)

Phoenix and Tiger require you stand around a little bit after kiling big Golem camp to regen mana, so that you can use Turtle to save your life at the second camp. (If you go +XP masteries, you have an easier time since you can have level 2 already.) Generally make sure you can use an ability twice (150 mana), especially if the small camp is Golems. If it's wolves, focus down a small wolf to gain the level so you can get into Turtle right away.

Longsword Analysis: You are more gankable early on. You burn less money on health pots; after doing one half of the entire jungle (which is pretty reliable) you can get Madred's Razor. (This takes longer with Cloth Armor since you spend so much on health pots.) It's a risk vs. time deal. The FASTEST Longsword route I found started with Tiger, but you get very low on health, and you definitely have to wait if the first small camp you do is Golems (but still faster than all Turtle). Without XP masteries (or Runes, I suppose), Udyr definitely only lives against those golems with extra mana from waiting AND leveling up into Turtle and using it while fighting the second small Golem. Basically, pretty high risk for relatively small reward, but it IS the fastest.

Recommended: If you want to start Longsword, just go Turtle first for a little safety and reliability. You can still go Phoenix or Turtle afterwards, depending on your build.

Of course, if you are going Tiger, you don't have to build into Madred's either. Brutalizer is a solid option, or maybe Black Cleaver down the line. (Since Turtle can't crit focusing on armor penetration is useful. And Udyr has some built in attack speed anyway, so starting damage is good.)

Clotch Armor + 4-5 Health Pots with Phoenix, Turtle, or Tiger. There's no great reason to go Turtle here, since you take far less damage with the armor AND you have more than one health pot, so you don't need to run around below half health a bunch.

This is a reliable, fairly safe method. There's not a huge difference between Tiger and Phoenix here. You burn the most money on health pots, though, so it's the slower, safer route to Madred's.

If you haven't jungled with Udyr much, or don't want to waste time on practice games, go this route and take the XP bonus in Utility. That's the safest way to do it overall and it's hard to screw it up a lot if you just alternate Turtle and either Tiger or Phoenix. (Phoenix probably easier overall than Tiger, for new players. Tiger presents more decisions... you can Tiger, wait until you get into Turtle, and get the Tiger attack damage bonus as Turtle to regain extra health/mana... but you shouldn't do that every time, since it's waiting.)

Vampiric Sceptre with Tiger: It works. You need wait around a bunch for mana after killing Golem, again especially if the next camp is two Golems and not wolves, so you can spam Tiger to regain health. (Again, being level 2 with XP runes/masteries would make this easier.)

You run around with half or low health for quite a while. However, you aren't depending on getting Madred's quickly, and there's no big reason to leave the jungle right away. If you go this route, start at the enemy's Golem for sure, and you can do the entire jungle relatively quickly before pilling if you want. (After level 4, if you take 2x Tiger and 2x Turtle, and plan to get Bear at 5, it's pretty fast and painless.) You also get a lot of options for what to build next. Stark's is the "obvious" choice, but you could just get some boots and save for Bloodthirster (good with the damage multiplier and attack speed bonus from Tiger, of course) or whatever else you like or need (maybe Executioner's is necessary).

I'd like to test this starting with Turtle (but I bet it works) and maybe Phoenix, but frankly if you want to go Phoenix you probably shouldn't start with Vamp Sceptre, as they don't synergize that well.

Sapphire Crystal + 2x health pots with Phoenix: Definitely works. It's faster than Cloth armor and not much slower than the dangerous Longsword options since you definitely don't wait around after killing Golem (you have so much more starting mana).

Turtle probably works here too and is probably safer, but it's a little slower and since you have 2x health pots it's not that important.

I don't know if Tiger start works here; if you want to go towards Tiger you might need to start with Turtle instead for the first level.

Main advantage here is if you don't want to get Madred's anyway. This is definitely the fastest rush to Locket if that's your build, or even just Catalyst (since Udyr's usually gets a Catalyst at some point). Also a fast rush to Sheen if you want to start building towards Triforce.

I recommend the sapphire crystal route, but I ignore tiger until around level 10.

Pwnacus Maximus

06-08-2010

so what would my skill build be in-jungle? and would the item build change at all?

I was thinking something like....
phoenix
turtle
bear
phoenix
turtle
phoenix
turtle
turtle
turtle
tiger
tiger
tiger
tiger
bear
bear
bear

OR getting 5 points in phoenix, turtle AND tiger and not maxing bear at all?

TehRizzle

06-08-2010

I tried going jungle once. I kept getting ganked despite being extra careful and purchasing wards. Having Smite is a dead giveaway in the loading screen. Once your at my ELO, you won't even be given a chance to jungle as Warwick or Shaco. Nonetheless, I go this for a jungle build:

Phoenix
Turtle
Turtle
Bear
Phoenix
Phoenix
Turtle
Turtle
Turtle
Tiger
Tiger
Tiger
Tiger
Tiger
Bear
Bear
Bear
Bear

Im not a professional at jungling Udyr, I work best when laning. But hey, when you're up against good opponents, they WONT let you jungle with peace of mind.

Pwnacus Maximus

06-08-2010

interesting. I'll see how it goes. I wish you could hide summoner spells =/
EDIT: what about the items?

Fatwa

06-10-2010

I've been looking for an Udyr guide that fit my playstyle. I tried a few of the jungling ones and they just didn't cut it. This guide, this guide is like reaping the benefits of being a Kama Sutra master. Immediate results, immediately comfortable, immediately dominated.

TehRizzle

06-11-2010

Quote:
Fatwa:
I've been looking for an Udyr guide that fit my playstyle. I tried a few of the jungling ones and they just didn't cut it. This guide, this guide is like reaping the benefits of being a Kama Sutra master. Immediate results, immediately comfortable, immediately dominated.

Thanks for reading my guide. Im glad that it has helped you. Have fun!

Pancakezlol

06-13-2010

I read your guide from what someone suggested, and I think it's one of the guides besides the one at LEaguecraft.com. I'm new at summoner level 11 (I'm not level 30) and was going to give Udyr a try first.

Since I'm not at a high level yet, what would suggest my skill order be for laning, and what runes would you currently use this patch for him? Also, since I only have 11 mastery points, would it be better to go defense for Nimbleness or go Offensive first?

Thanks for any advice in advance, (sorry if I asked the same questions again, but good read.)