Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] +1 for bursting out of brush as bear going OMNOMNOMNOM! A guide to Udyr.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Back2Bassics

05-25-2010

I'm not a pro or anything, but I imagine if he went DPS, Trinity Force is nice but doesn't let you specialize in doing anything. You're a jack of all trades, and a master of none. With his DPS route, he's doing as much damage as possible in a short amount of time.

Pwnacus Maximus

05-25-2010

it would actually allow him to do alot of damage in that short amount of time because of trinity force's 130% damage bonus on next attack every time you change stances...

DayInTheSun

05-25-2010

Well written guide, +1. I've been wanting to try Udyr recently, and he seems like a difficult champ to play because of the timing of the stance dancing during a team fight and the hundreds of builds that are seemingly available for him. It's kind of overwhelming since I've never touched Udyr before and most Udyrs that I've played with against are usually terribad. Once every blue moon I'll see a Udyr that absolutely demolishes in team fights and plays a big part in his team's success.

I guess he kind of suffers from Nasus-itis where he's actually a great champ, but because people can't slap an IE or a soulstealer on him and go nuts they think he's an underwhelming champion.

goldpenguin77

05-26-2010

I'm definitely feeling tiger over phoenix now. I find with the increase attack speed, I can farm decently anyway.

I've mainly been playing Twisted Treeline, and I'm finding that skipping Stark's and going straight to Phage and Cleaver works a little better, as things tend to move a bit quicker

has anyone else got any tips on TT?

TehRizzle

05-26-2010

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Pwnacus Maximum, Triforce is a item I only get when I go Tank Udyr. I usually go DPS Udyr though, and there is a very simple reason on why I don't get a Triforce on him.

Early game, if you choose Sheen to be your main damage source instead of Brutalizer, you will be losing lots of bonuses. Brutalizer is MUCH more efficient. Let's say you get it at level six. For this next section Im gonna assume you have Armour Pen quints and marks.

I have Brutalizer, and boots. Early game, almost all champions (Squishies especially) have less then 45 armour. You have 45 Armour pen with Brutalizer combined with Armour Pen runes. So, you attacks will be doing PURE DAMAGE. You get a small attack boost (25 damage is VERY respectable early game), and 10% CDR. ALL FOR THE RESPECTABLE PRICE OF 1337 GOLD. You basically deal PURE DAMAGE early game and switch stances faster. IMO, Brutalizer is the MOST cost efficient item next to Doran items.

Lets say I have Sheen now. It adds bonus damage to my next attack equal to my base damage. At level 6, my base damage would be around lets say..70 at best. 70 bonus damage for my next attack every time I change a Stance. Not too bad. However, I dont deal pure damage. I get mana which I really don't need since I can always get a golem buff, and the extra AP is just useless. Of course, Udyr's who get Triforce are focusing on the Sheen effect. The rest are just a bonus. I don't deal pure damage early game, I don't get CDR, and with the attack items your getting like Black cleaver, Sheen isn't needed. Frost mallet wins Triforce in that it gives him almost 3k hp at the end, boosts Udyr's attack to over 300 if you get your complete item set, and essentially, once you catch someone in Bear stance, they're dead.

Hope this solves your question. Feel free to prove me wrong. I have added a SS of my match with full items, and I did not get a Triforce.

Please remember im not trying to boast, but just showing you guys that this IS the most effective way for Udyr currently. (For me, that is. And I shall think it will for all of you too.)

davli

05-26-2010

Hey, your original post inspired me to try Tiger with Tiamat, was not impressed, then I independently came to the conclusion that Brutalizer is the BEST early item for Tiger Udyr hands down.

I still run AS seals and glyphs mainly for early game ganking (tiger's AS bonus won't be noticeable until lvl 6 or so, before that your AS kind of sucks)

One thing is that after turtle/tiger I max phoneix for more dps, and to compensate i get boots of mobility.

just gotta know when to jump in i guess with this approach. you still get nice hp from frozen mallet though for survavility.

Also, i tend to get tanking items after brutalizer/frozen mallet (maybe get emblem of valour first for the lifesteal).

TehRizzle

05-26-2010

Quote:
davli:
Hey, your original post inspired me to try Tiger with Tiamat, was not impressed, then I independently came to the conclusion that Brutalizer is the BEST early item for Tiger Udyr hands down.

I still run AS seals and glyphs mainly for early game ganking (tiger's AS bonus won't be noticeable until lvl 6 or so, before that your AS kind of sucks)

One thing is that after turtle/tiger I max phoneix for more dps, and to compensate i get boots of mobility.

just gotta know when to jump in i guess with this approach. you still get nice hp from frozen mallet though for survavility.

Also, i tend to get tanking items after brutalizer/frozen mallet (maybe get emblem of valour first for the lifesteal).

Indeed. I have found that Tiamat isn't the most cost efficient item. Apologies to all who followed my previous item build!

You don't need AS runes. Udyr stance dances because of the active effects of his stances. You can maybe hit them twice then switch back to Bear to stun. Trust me, I tested it.

You do not need Boots of mobility. You have Ghost and Bear. Merc treads and Tabis are better.

You CAN go semi tank. But if you do, you should go for Phoenix instead of Tiger as your DPS isn't as spectacular.

TehRizzle

05-30-2010

Bump!

Zanefein

05-30-2010

Very nice update. I've played with the new build to disastrous and tremendous results. All depends on how you play early game. It seems as though item/skill builds are pretty much all people want now a days... but I'd like to see some more strategy, especially early game like what to do in certain situations. I find myself playing too aggressively and dying early game and ruining the rest of my game far too much. Also, as with any other champion, success depends on how your team plays.

Pwnacus Maximus

05-30-2010

Quote:
TehRizzle:
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Pwnacus Maximum, Triforce is a item I only get when I go Tank Udyr. I usually go DPS Udyr though, and there is a very simple reason on why I don't get a Triforce on him.

Early game, if you choose Sheen to be your main damage source instead of Brutalizer, you will be losing lots of bonuses. Brutalizer is MUCH more efficient. Let's say you get it at level six. For this next section Im gonna assume you have Armour Pen quints and marks.

I have Brutalizer, and boots. Early game, almost all champions (Squishies especially) have less then 45 armour. You have 45 Armour pen with Brutalizer combined with Armour Pen runes. So, you attacks will be doing PURE DAMAGE. You get a small attack boost (25 damage is VERY respectable early game), and 10% CDR. ALL FOR THE RESPECTABLE PRICE OF 1337 GOLD. You basically deal PURE DAMAGE early game and switch stances faster. IMO, Brutalizer is the MOST cost efficient item next to Doran items.

Lets say I have Sheen now. It adds bonus damage to my next attack equal to my base damage. At level 6, my base damage would be around lets say..70 at best. 70 bonus damage for my next attack every time I change a Stance. Not too bad. However, I dont deal pure damage. I get mana which I really don't need since I can always get a golem buff, and the extra AP is just useless. Of course, Udyr's who get Triforce are focusing on the Sheen effect. The rest are just a bonus. I don't deal pure damage early game, I don't get CDR, and with the attack items your getting like Black cleaver, Sheen isn't needed. Frost mallet wins Triforce in that it gives him almost 3k hp at the end, boosts Udyr's attack to over 300 if you get your complete item set, and essentially, once you catch someone in Bear stance, they're dead.

Hope this solves your question. Feel free to prove me wrong. I have added a SS of my match with full items, and I did not get a Triforce.

Please remember im not trying to boast, but just showing you guys that this IS the most effective way for Udyr currently. (For me, that is. And I shall think it will for all of you too.)

After testing both sheen and brutalizer as early game items i've found that brutalizer is actually vastly superior like you indicated. I'm actually really happy that i built almost a full page of armor penetration runes back when i played garen, so I'm well on my way to getting a full page for udyr.