[Guide] +1 for bursting out of brush as bear going OMNOMNOMNOM! A guide to Udyr.

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TechYS

04-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabyoman View Post
It has been fixed, Bear used to pop banshee's shield and stun during the second hit. It has been corrected, now you need to wait the full 5 or 6s before stunning the target again (i think it's the same with sivir shield). However i don't know if phoenix's fire waves pop the shield too.

I will try this guide too. i tend to build more around attack speed and i don't meet the success i wish for. ^^
I see. Haven't popped a bubble in a while as Udyr though, so didn't know much about them fixing it.

I'd suggest a Frozen Mallet if you're going AS, since you're more of a constant damage rather than burst compared to AD Tiger Udyr. Not having your target in front of you is a big pain. Trinity won't guarentee a slow 100% by itself. Usually someone can only get away from FM with either flash or flash like ability. Only if you have cash to get one though. Udyr has high base HP, but he gets even more survivability if he has more. But its really your pick.

I used to go Banshee's for tank Udyr, but I guess the new Randuin's Omen can substitute Banshee's if enemy team consists of a lot of dps. (it is more expensive though)

TehRizzle

04-27-2010

The bonus movement speed from Phantom Dancer and Bear stance is a big help in chasing your opponents, you WILL catch them, you WILL proc your Phage from stance dancing, and the Attack Speed from Phantom Dancer is a big help. If all else fails, you do have Ghost. Frost Hammer is a waste in my opinion, Triforce is a much better item.

TehRizzle

04-28-2010

An epic bump for this epic champion! Come on guys, tips and suggestions are welcome

TechYS

04-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehRizzle View Post
Wait, as far as I know, Phoenix's proc does NOT activate on towers. Are you saying that it does? Because I tested it out once and it didnt. It only activated on the creeps behind the turret me and my team were destroying. I regularly backdoor the other team's turrets, and I almost always go Turtle --> Tiger, rinse and repeat. Takes out the turret pretty quick with my Black Cleaver/Infinity Edge and imba attack speed from Phantom Dancer Will try out your methods, thanks once again.
I never said the passive work on towers.

I said Phoenix -> Tiger = Tiger doing more damage while Phoenix active is on.

Quote:
Activation: Udyr sends out pulsing waves of fire dealing 15/25/35/45/55(+.25 per ability power) magic damage each second to nearby enemies for 5 seconds, Udyr's ability power is increased by 16/24/32/40/48 and attack damage is increased by 8/12/16/20/24.

Almighty1

04-28-2010

Love the Phoenix Wright reference there...

Also, I generally agree with your guide upon skimming it. Though you might want to mention a vamp scepter for some early-mid game jungling. With the tank build, unless the opposing team has no mages, you probably want at least a negatron cloak after your first sunfire. But these two items are just situational so overall, good guide.

Also, alternating between tiger and phoenix gives the most DPS while downing a tower due to monkey's agility and the +AP and +DMG.

Grizzly Bear

04-28-2010

Nashor's Tooth is too good to pass on as Udyr imo.. +50% attack speed, all the mana regen you need (and you need some, say for those bear spamming chases / escapes), and 25% CDR (if you get 33% CDR, you will have 4 sec cooldown on stances = activation effects will be permanently on with no pauses).

There are four main ways to build Udyr as I see it:

- The most unpopular, Tiger way: stack damage, get triforce, infinity, some more damage and crit and you'll be hitting for 2.5 AD (from IE) + 1.3 AD (triforce) + 2.5 AD (tiger) in one hit, that's 6.3x multiplier and it hurts. The disadvantage of the build is that early game you'll be kinda meh, you really need to max out tiger and get the triforce / infinity to pull those epic 6.4x crits off. But once you do.. I once had 400+ AD on Udyr (full bloodthirster, full soto etc) and could 2-shot enemy squishies.

- Attack Speed / Razor way: build it up to ~2.3 attack speed (so that you have 2.5 with monkey agility), get razor, gg. Phoenix procs plus razor just shred through tanks and squishies alike; as a nifty bonus, you also do a fair lot of aoe damage. You don't really need attack damage items, your procs do about 540 dps of magic damage. However, if you have some extra cash, throw a Black Cleaver in. This build is probably the cheapest and my mostly played one.

- Crit / Dodge way: 2 x phantom dancers, infinity, some more attack speed, there you have it, 54% dodge, about 100% crit and crazy attack speed. This is a pretty costly build though, I usually use it if I get fed early game (last game I played as Udyr went 16-3-14 with this setup).

- Tank / Off-Tank Udyr: PD for dodge and ms, Nashors for CDR and mana cause you want to spam your turtle as much as possible. Other than that and a lifesteal item of choice, tanky items, where resistances > pure hp, because the more AR / MR you have, the more efficient your turtle shield becomes.

Btw, one thing I definitely have to agree on: NEVER get berserker's greaves.

TehRizzle

04-28-2010

Alright guys, I added a tips and tricks section to the guide, and fixed the tooltip error about Phoenix stance's passive procs. I added suggestions and tips from you guys and added them into a guide, and credited all of you for it. I have tested out the Phoenix to Tiger method of destroying a tower compared to Tiger to Turtle, and the first method indeed proved to destroy the turret faster. Thanks to TechYS for this piece of information!

As for Grizzly Bear, I have tried a CDR method. I use Brutalizer (Build it into a Ghostblade later), Nashors Tooth, and combined with my CDR Runes and Masteries, I reach the maximum of -40% CDR. It HAS indeed proved to be useful, but I prefer my own build in the guide . No offence, it works though. Its cheaper too. If you guys are having a terrible early game, HIGHLY consider the CDR build.

Final item build is:Yommuu's Ghostblade
Nashors Tooth
Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads
Phantom Dancer
Black Cleaver/Infinity Edge
Survival item of your choice, NO WARMOGS

Thanks for the tips, check out the tips and tricks section!

Swanky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-28-2010

This guide made me buy Udyr, hes soo good havn't gone negative with him yet!

Zanefein

04-28-2010

Amazing guide! Been playing Udyr for a long time now and I love this build.

Might wanna include situations on when to use CDR build and post it into the item section

and give credit there, it would be easier to access from there.

Other than that, why don't you get the +15% magic damage penetration if you're using

phoenix stance as your main stance?

Praedoran

04-29-2010

Nice guide, here's some things I've learned about Tiger stance though from reading around the boards:

Tiger Stance Active is Magical damage and thus, is mitigated by Magic Resist. Bear Passive, Pheonix Passive, and Tiger Active all activate upon attacking, not hitting. So even if Jax dodges your attack, he will still be stunned, dotted, or flamed.

Tiger stance has also been shown to crit towers. You won't see a "Critical!" against it, but the second and third hits can actually crit against building (not the initial). Phoenix's active gives AP and AD, giving him a ton of tower damage (people who play casters can attest to AP adding to Tower damage). The synergy between these two is the reason Udyr claws through bases like they were made of paper.

Other advanced tips you should tell to Udyr players:
Stance dancing can interrupt your attack animation. Against a tower or stationary creep, don't spam your abilities as soon as they become available and try to time your stances in between attacks. In a PvP fight however, you don't have the time to think about this so don't bother.

123456 ... 10