Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What is the definition of a 'Skill Shot' Ability?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zswords

07-22-2011

So me and some friends got in this discussion about, What is a Skill Shot? The reason the discussion came up was that I described Irelia's Ultimate (Transcendant Blades) as a skill shot, and this caused some others to go "no it isn't" and uh, well, unable to reach a conclusion our selves, I decided to do the newb thing, and ask you guys. =)

Melogrunty

07-22-2011

my definition of skill shot is anything that shows an arrow rather than a target cross-hair or form of aoe. Most skill shots require that there are no minion or other enemies in the way of your target with the the exception of Ashe's arrow while can go through minions.

GeminiTroll

07-22-2011

Depends on who you ask. Some people think anything that doesn't use a specific target is a skillshot, including Ground Targeted AoE spells. Others people would argue abilities like Transcendent Blades and Ezreal's Essence Flux are not because they can hit multiple targets on their path. I've even heard Annie's cone AoE spell called a skillshot because it doesn't use a specific target, though I think most would disagree with that one.

In the end, it's a matter of opinion. If you want an official definition, you're out of luck. I will however leave you with the http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Skillshot:

Quote:
A Skillshot is a type of champion http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Ability that casts a projectile that requires careful aim to hit a target. Skillshots projectiles usually travel on a straight path for a limited distance, and usually hit only the first target they collide with. However there also exist skillshots that have global range and that can hit more than one target. Some champions use skillshots as their primary abilities. To land a skillshot it is important to consider the speed of the projectile (which is ability-specific) and the enemy movement. Delayed http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/AoE skills or missiles with instant travel time are not considered skillshots.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-22-2011

What makes a skill shot is less the direction it travels or distance, but the time delay. Annie's cone is instant, which is why it doesn't classify, whereas Ashe's Volley travels out -- it can be outrun -- which is why it does classify.

The most common and widely accepted type of skill shot, is the linear skill shot. This is a projectile that travels out in a straight line, often stopping at the first minion or champion it hits, though some also only hit champions, and some hit more than one target.

There are also several abilities that work like the above (linear skill shots), however they cast multiple projectiles at the same time. Twisted Fate's Wild Cards and Ashe's Volley are examples of this.

Another type of skill shot is the delayed AoE. This is a ground targeted ability that has a time delay between the cast and the actual effect. Examples are Swain's Snare, Cho's knockup, and Pantheon's mandrop. One main characteristic of these abilities is that they become visible to the enemy, so that they are easier to dodge via simple movement or the use of abilities.

Standard AoEs such as Morgana's Tormented Soil aren't skill shots, even though it takes time for their full effect, as their effect takes place initially, it's just persistent.

'Line AoE' abilities aren't skill shots, such as Anivia's wall or Trundle's pillar, or even Veigar's stun. They take skill to use sure, but so does every other ability in the game (timing, target selection, etc), so there need to be lines drawn somewhere.