Ranked Champion Selection?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hallec

07-20-2011

Hey folks, I'm pretty new to the game still. I've only been playing for about 5 weeks or so. At this point, I'm level 20 and I do 'okay', with 80 wins and 77 losses and I typically have far more kills than deaths. Not spectacular, but not terrible. Up until now, I've used primarily damage heavy characters with some sustainability (Irelia/Kayle, depending on if we need melee or magic damage) but I've noticed that most of the higher ranked players rarely use either of these.

So, the basic question is, what characters in this style are used in ranked games successfully? I really enjoy being a damage character but I want to start practicing with a character I will use in ranked games.

Lastly, what is a good secondary character to have? I would like to work on a support or tank character, so that I can use them effectively when the team needs them. What's a character that is in high demand that I can try and master for when my preference is already taken?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I know at this stage, it's better to simply ask for help to get better rather than fumble around blindly. I figure those with more experience can help guide me in the right direction.

TL;DR: What're a few good characters in high demand that I should focus on improving myself with for later ranked games? Bonus if they're fun to play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aronnax

07-20-2011

Well, before you start Ranked play, you should own and be able to play at least one champion of each role, recommended three of each role (Tank, Jungle, AP, AD, Support). This way, if some champions are banned/picked, you still have an option remaining. At lower Elo, tanks are usually the primary bans, so you would do well to get some off-tanks or tanky DPS instead of just the pure tanks. If you're looking for champions that do well in Ranked play, there are a few champions known as Pubstompers which are hard to kill and can easily 1v1 most (if not all) enemy champs if you happen to get fed (which you will if you are better than your opponents). If you want to stand a good chance of carrying without much effort, search for some tier lists and try to find champions that they all share, or just look at what the Champion Feedback/General Discussion boards are QQing about (because nobody wants to learn how to deal with those champions; they just want them to be mindlessly nerffed).

If you want my personal recommendations, I can't give a varied outlook on each role because I prefer to carry teams as the AP nuke; I can oneshot the squishies while my team is inevitably busy focusing the tanks. Also, I'm posting this on my bro's account and don't want to accrue him any downvotes for specific champion mentions :P.