Need help with my early Maokai game..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GG Crono

07-20-2011

I hate to be the guy who complains about nerfs, I really do. But the Philosopher's Stone nerf, while being good for the game in general, I feel, has put a major damper on my Maokai game, particularly early game.

I like to solo a side lane as Maokai, and I like to have something that allows me to sustain that, as well as keeping a good amount of mana up. Double Philly's enabled that, and I really like Reverie on him. A single Philly's, however, leaves me wanting for mana early. In getting an item that gives me more lane sustainability, I sacrifice a steady stream of mana, whereas rushing a Tear or a Chalice hinders my immediate tanking options somewhat.

Generally I favor a pure tank build. I ask veteran Maokai players for advice here; what are your choices for early-game builds?

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

As a matter of fact, philospher stone WAS OP.

So right now you got to becareful, just try to use less spells if you can.

Sandrock7383

07-20-2011

i mean really, there's some other ways to play mao. grab a philo stone if you want, but maokai ends up having no problems farming creeps once his sapling toss gets leveled. grab a catalyst dude, problem solved. you get tankier and have a nice boost in mana.

also, my guess is you might be spamming your spells way too much.

Quren

07-20-2011

Doran's ring+philostone is decent mana regen. If neccesary you could get 2 dorans, since it's not a bad item on Maokai.