Gold / 10s items.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

doo0ooooooom

07-20-2011

The thing about philo stone is that even after the nerf it gives enough life/mana regen to make it more than worth it's price compared to basic tier items even without the gp/5.

consider this:

Meki pendent gives 7 mp/5 for 390g, meaning mp/5 is worth 55.7g per point at basic tier.
regrowth pendant gives 15 hp/5 for 435g, meaning hp/5 is worth 29g at basic tier

philosopher stone gives 18hp/5 and 8 mp5... do the math and its worth 967.6g in meki pendants/regrowth pendants for only 800g. And you'll get that gold back after ~25 min.

None of the other GP/5 items come close to this efficiency. If you need early game hp/mana regen, philo stone is a just plain great all-round item. I always take early philo stone on maokai and then i upgrade it to shurelya's mid-late game.

Conewicci

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarRack View Post
I really don't like these items. They do not pay for themselves in 12 minutes like some are suggesting. The Philosopher's Stone costs 800 and gives you 5 gold every 10 seconds. That means that it will take over 26 minutes to pay for itself!

This means that you are basically making yourself useless for the first half hour of the game (give about 5 minutes to get the item in the first place) - this is completely unacceptable!!!

Spend your money on items that provide real bonuses. Getting items that boost your defense may help you survive a death had you got the gold generating item. Getting items that boost your offense will not only perhaps help you finish off that kill, but will allow you to get minion kills more easily.
You can sell it later. Also, if you build them into the item, then... it's not a waste at all. Also, Philo Stone means you'll have some good lane survivability, which is really nice, especially since you'll be getting it early anyways. HoG means extra survivability early that also gives you money. Avarice is great if you just want the money, and are planning on getting Ghostblade, if your character does well with crits.

Liabilities

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitcurtsed View Post
The problem with GP5 items is they take up needed space and take a while to make you money.

From the time of purchase, it takes on average of 12 minutes for you to BREAK EVEN with these items. For certain champions that abilities don't require much scaling, or scale well with minimal items, GP5 are very strong.

Keep in mind though. That you are basically paying 13 minutes of your time for that 35 AP of that pick or that 8 mp5 of the stone. While keeping the items for 20-30 minutes will make you a lot of money and can make up for lost CS, what could that 800-1600 (1 or 2 gp5 items) have done for you in the first 10 minutes of the game?
In that 12 minutes for anyone to break even, you still get the stats of the item. ie HoG you get +200 hp, Advarice Blade you get 12% crit. Many view the gold as an extra or bonus.

iRaikov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

I try to get them whenever i play support, although i normally dont b at the time that i need to grab it. (Which is normally ASAP) IE I play soraka, laning with a MF. we dominate bot, dont need to back until 20 minutes into the game. XD

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2011

They're good because they give you stats while also generating bonus gold. Philosopher's in particular gives you that lane sustainability which allows you to stay in lane and farm more than you would have otherwise.