Gold / 10s items.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weirding

07-20-2011

I am missing out on something with these items? They seem to be incredibly powerful given their costs, and I usually find myself acquiring two of them early on every single character that I run -- carry, support, tank, it doesn't matter.

I ran a game with Nasus today where I rushed a Philo Stone and Heart of Gold. The two made me impossible to push out of lane even in a 2v1 situation and I had a 150 CS with a +300 Siphoning Strike by 25 minutes into the game. Furthermore, they generated so much gold for me that I was able to rush an Aegis and Force of Nature despite spending a lot of time pushing down towers (as opposed to getting kills by being in team fights).

Yesterday evening I rushed a Philo Stone and Avarice Blade on Tristana, which conventional wisdom would say is a bad call for a carry. However, they generated so much gold for me (I held onto them for well over 25 minutes) that I had an Infinity Edge faster than I had ever gotten one before while still being able to push my opponent out of the mid lane repeatedly. We knocked down towers so quickly that our opponents conceded at the ~30 minute mark.

I'm wondering why you don't see more build advocating rushing these items? At the very least the Philo Stone is a great rush for almost any melee -- even if they don't use mana (I take it on Mundo all the time) -- and it upgrades into the very powerful Reverie.

Jons Wongs

07-20-2011

lol the main reason why the passive is unique now is because it was used so much.

Htiger

Recruiter

07-20-2011

Basically, what it comes down to is this:

Do the items hinder you by postponing your crucial item purchases?

Stop hard to think about it. Did an enemy ever get away with 50 health? If yes, you could have probably killed them if you had purchased a damage item instead of the Gold per 10 item.

Sometimes, it is a no-brainer to grab one - mainly for champions that need some mana regen.

Lizto

07-20-2011

gp10 items are great, and actually, avarice blade is not bad on tristana, you can get ghostblade and infinity to deal huge damage, thanks to the armorpen, crit, crit damage, AD and CRAZY attack speed 50+90 = awesome. Its actually a good way to deal huge damage on trist for a relatively low cost (Though I still prefer other items over ghostblade on trist)

I like getting gp10 items myself, theyre awesome, especially on jobs that dont require much farming or champs that simply cant farm too well.

GrignardTS

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirding View Post
I am missing out on something with these items? They seem to be incredibly powerful given their costs, and I usually find myself acquiring two of them early on every single character that I run -- carry, support, tank, it doesn't matter.

I'm wondering why you don't see more build advocating rushing these items? At the very least the Philo Stone is a great rush for almost any melee -- even if they don't use mana (I take it on Mundo all the time) -- and it upgrades into the very powerful Reverie.
The problem with GP5 items is they take up needed space and take a while to make you money.

From the time of purchase, it takes on average of 12 minutes for you to BREAK EVEN with these items. For certain champions that abilities don't require much scaling, or scale well with minimal items, GP5 are very strong.

Keep in mind though. That you are basically paying 13 minutes of your time for that 35 AP of that pick or that 8 mp5 of the stone. While keeping the items for 20-30 minutes will make you a lot of money and can make up for lost CS, what could that 800-1600 (1 or 2 gp5 items) have done for you in the first 10 minutes of the game?

Weirding

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitcurtsed View Post
The problem with GP5 items is they take up needed space and take a while to make you money.

From the time of purchase, it takes on average of 12 minutes for you to BREAK EVEN with these items. For certain champions that abilities don't require much scaling, or scale well with minimal items, GP5 are very strong.

Keep in mind though. That you are basically paying 13 minutes of your time for that 35 AP of that pick or that 8 mp5 of the stone. While keeping the items for 20-30 minutes will make you a lot of money and can make up for lost CS, what could that 800-1600 (1 or 2 gp5 items) have done for you in the first 10 minutes of the game?
That's actually not a bad way to look at it.

I admit that I often sell back the GP/10 items towards late game, the notable exceptions being characters like Nasus who I build a Reverie on. Most of the other upgrades are lackluster at best.

I've actually been having a TON of success on Nasus with rushing a Philo Stone + another Regrowth Pendent on my first trip back. I just get to stay in lane forever, I'm impossible to harass between the regen and the lifesteal, and I usually get to push over the tower and end with a 150+ creep score that lets me rush a Warmog's (from the second Pendent).

Perhaps that works better than going for the Heart of Gold, given what a massive advantage an early Warmog's provides on tanky DPS characters like Nasus.

WarRack

07-20-2011

I really don't like these items. They do not pay for themselves in 12 minutes like some are suggesting. The Philosopher's Stone costs 800 and gives you 5 gold every 10 seconds. That means that it will take over 26 minutes to pay for itself!

This means that you are basically making yourself useless for the first half hour of the game (give about 5 minutes to get the item in the first place) - this is completely unacceptable!!!

Spend your money on items that provide real bonuses. Getting items that boost your defense may help you survive a death had you got the gold generating item. Getting items that boost your offense will not only perhaps help you finish off that kill, but will allow you to get minion kills more easily.

Umezete

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarRack View Post
I really don't like these items. They do not pay for themselves in 12 minutes like some are suggesting. The Philosopher's Stone costs 800 and gives you 5 gold every 10 seconds. That means that it will take over 26 minutes to pay for itself!

This means that you are basically making yourself useless for the first half hour of the game (give about 5 minutes to get the item in the first place) - this is completely unacceptable!!!

Spend your money on items that provide real bonuses. Getting items that boost your defense may help you survive a death had you got the gold generating item. Getting items that boost your offense will not only perhaps help you finish off that kill, but will allow you to get minion kills more easily.
It sells for 400 though so in order to pay for itself you only need to make up the other 400 so

5gp10=30 gold a min so in a little over 13 min it will pay for itself.

Not to mention with phil stone you are going to be able to lane longer than without it.

I normally stack HOG and phil stone on leona and Phil stone and avarice on gp. Phil stone and avarice blade are solid on ad carries that SHOULD be spending early game last hitting and farming. HOG and Phil Stone helps supports to generate gold without taking from what should be the carry. (they certainly should lane with a carry)

I do believe that for laning sustainability phil stone is the best item in the early game.

KniForz

07-20-2011

Quote:

False.... PhiloStone sell for 400g.
800 -400g = 400g / 30 g per min = 13.33 min.

tumultuoustempus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

Quote:

They are accounting for the sell value of the item in addition to the gold/10. You are also not considering the fact that these items do something besides provide you with gold. If you can make use of the regen, it's definitely worthwhile.