Raging at people is not part of the game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SimplyAlive

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X Antagonist View Post
There is a pretty big difference between handling the rules and refusing to follow the rules by person choice. I believe MOST of us have the ability to understand and follow the rules but I am quite sure many of us decide to simply ignore them for reasons of our own.

I am confused though as to how it was implied that I refuse to follow the rules?

EDIT: I can thumbs down posts too.
Because you blame the ones that get harassed by people who violate the rules. Therefore it seems that you support them.

Also, if you choose to break the rules, don't come here complaining if you don't like the consequences. (which happens...ALOT)

Methelod

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X Antagonist View Post
If you can't handle a few words on an computer screen without actual face to face interaction you have serious confidence issues.
Except for the fact that some people value what others have to say, I mean why do you care what anyone says face to face? The same theory applies to here.

OfficerCautious

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyAlive View Post
Because you blame the ones that get harassed by people who violate the rules. Therefore it seems that you support them.

Also, if you choose to break the rules, don't come here complaining if you don't like the consequences. (which happens...ALOT)
I made one statement claiming that people who are unable to handle a few harsh words over the internet have confidence issues. That one statement caused me to be accused of breaking the rules and supporting those that do?

I suppose my comment hit a lot harder then I intended.

OfficerCautious

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
Except for the fact that some people value what others have to say, I mean why do you care what anyone says face to face? The same theory applies to here.
There is no personal face to face interaction over the internet making it a lot easier for people to say what they like without fear of punishment or retribution. I am quite sure you would have realized this much by now? If not then I fear you have much to learn about having conversations over the web.

Methelod

07-20-2011

But why do people care what other people say face to face? Answer me that.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

Are you guys new to the internet or something? I mean its just bizarre you think you can police the internet just like IRL for indecency. There's no ESRB rating for online interactions for a reason.

Not saying you can't reduce the amount of ragers but at what cost? It seems like a futile attempt at making a difference that will probably have a negative consequence, because, hey, there's a large ton of people in LoL that regularly rage b/c that's part of internet culture. You going to ban them all? For what? I mean the people not exposed to the rage and trolling will be exposed to it in ALL OTHER CORNERS OF THE INTERNET. You can either, A try and change the internet one game at a time, or B, grow up and deal with it...

Methelod

07-20-2011

Or we can perform C and reduce the amount of Ragers with minimal people caught in the crossfire improving the game overall. While it does happen in all other parts of the internet those places have systems to attempt to slow down griefers and ragers too. Why should it be allowed to run rampant when we have a system that allows us to allieve a problem that can't be fully stopped. Lets say you have a leak, its pretty bad and ruining your home except you try to cover the leak and reduce the flow, your successful but its still leaking. In the end you can't fully fix the leak but you can at least reduce the flow reducing the destruction.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

Quote:
Or we can perform C and reduce the amount of Ragers with minimal people caught in the crossfire improving the game overall. While it does happen in all other parts of the internet those places have systems to attempt to slow down griefers and ragers too. Why should it be allowed to run rampant when we have a system that allows us to allieve a problem that can't be fully stopped. Lets say you have a leak, its pretty bad and ruining your home except you try to cover the leak and reduce the flow, your successful but its still leaking. In the end you can't fully fix the leak but you can at least reduce the flow reducing the destruction.
well because it happens to be a large portion of the users that rage. There is at least 1 every game, maybe 2. That is 2/10th of the population you want to ban b/c of your lack of emotional maturity (i have a problem with not being able to deal with simple "words", but thats all an aside). These users have acted this way their entire internet careers since, this is the internet, its a cultural norm. I mean it would be like arresting people bashing someone irl. Sure its not a nice thing to bash someone hard, but its completely fine in our culture and thus you would be arresting a huge sum of people, for something that could simply be dealt with maturity.

Also, the ignore feature is there for a reason.

Methelod

07-20-2011

You don't get banned for profanity, unless of course every sentence is filled with it. You can bash people in real life but would you accept being told to your face that your a useless piece of **** or something along those lines? No you wouldn't and you would be arrested, while we do accept bashing people in our society it is not accepted to the extent that your defending. There is being mature then there's letting *******s run rampant in the name of 'maturity'. The ignore feature may temporarily solve the issue but I'd rather not have to run around waste my time ignoring someone when they can simply be removed for breaking the preestablished rules. You still have yet to answer my question of why people care about face to face interaction.

The Uprising

07-20-2011

Quote:
You don't get banned for profanity, unless of course every sentence is filled with it. You can bash people in real life but would you accept being told to your face that your a useless piece of **** or something along those lines? No you wouldn't and you would be arrested, while we do accept bashing people in our society it is not accepted to the extent that your defending. There is being mature then there's letting *******s run rampant in the name of 'maturity'. The ignore feature may temporarily solve the issue but I'd rather not have to run around waste my time ignoring someone when they can simply be removed for breaking the preestablished rules. You still have yet to answer my question of why people care about face to face interaction.
Raging is INCREDIBLY COMMON on the internet, its not like someone goes to your face and calls you a useless peice of ****, its more like you telling your friend he's a useless peice of **** b/c he pissed you off, and then you get arrested.

And again we come back to our second point, what's the point. What are you trying to do? If bashing someone is a national law, sure you will curb the amount of bashing you will ever experience in your life significantly, though many of your friends may experience life behind bars. But the thing is, we have no control of the entire internet, its like if they outlawed bashing in your neighborhood, you're going to experience it one way or another, your incredibly harsh outlawing of it in your neighborhood won't protect your little Sara from it at all.

Its part of the culture, conform to it or leave, I mean its like story of the princess who wanted the world to be covered in leather because she stubbed her toe. Instead, it was advised, for her to wear leather sandles. It IS part of esports. It IS part of competitive gaming. Believe it, don't know why you are denial of it.

And what do you mean why people care about face to face interactions?? Um because they may see the person again and thus it is encouraged to invest in the relationship. And also because you can gain things from friendship with random people you meet, and thus people care about their image. In the internet there is nothing to gain but lulz and nothing to lose. The person on the other side of the computer you will not see again, but is real enough for you to feel like you made an impact by making them feel bad.

Not saying its right but that's the truth.