Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malzahar? Thoughts.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheAnythinger

07-20-2011

I'm currently an Orianna favorite champion person.

I have seen videos on Malzahar melting faces.
And I have played him on a free week though this week was long ago and when I first started.

Now I can play any Spell Heavy Champion and PTU very quickly.

and I really liked Malzahar when I played him though I didn't do that well with him because I was a newbie.

Now being level 22 and a regular King of Melting Faces Off I have decided to save up for him, I am actually just a little under 800 IP untill the 6300 for him.

So I was wondering if I could get a Malzahar players story of how he is/was and who he played prior.

This would help me in my research a lot, I don't remember when exactly I played him though I was like level 5 and I started this game sometime in May.

So if there were any HUGE or MASSIVE or LARGE or BIG updates to him please put that in there as well.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

tumultuoustempus

07-20-2011

I began life as a hardcore Veigar player. I thought I would play him for life. Boy was I wrong. Now I feel he is majorly outclassed by MANY other casters, who don't require the free farm that he does to dominate late game.

My next "main" was Annie (pre-buff). I still like Annie to this day, and in lot of ways, she does exactly what Malzahar does, but a lot better. You might consider this before picking up Malzahar.

That all being said, Malzahar is one of my favorite champions and I think he is very fun to play. He's largely about farming - he does this better than any other AP champion I can think of. If that appeals to you, definitely consider him. If you'd rather simply "melt faces," I think Annie is far superior in most ways (at least in her current state).

ReLaTiviT

07-20-2011

I can't quite say Annie is better than Malz, I feel Annie and Malz don't have all that much in common.

Malzahar leans toward more of a DoT/DPS mage with his W/E like Cassopeia than a true burster like Annie/Brand/Veigar.

I would say also consider Brand and Cass, they are also both extremely fun. Cass will output a lot MORE sustained DPS with her E than Malzahar ever will, but is not as burst. Brand is just like Annie, except more cool-looking.

Oh great, I got downvoted.

WelcomeToLevel1

07-20-2011

I play malz a lot, and I'd like to consider myself pretty good with him. I tend to see most malzahars starting out with upgrading their silence to harrass... I play differently.
I start out with null zone, charge it up at spawn so the next cast brings out the voidling, and then head to my lane, which is preferably mid/top solo. At mid, if you focus on getting your DoT first, null zone 2nd, and THEN your wall, you can push very agressively and hardly have to worry about your turret. Mind you this may mean less harassment, unless you can get off your DoT onto the champs, especially with a voidling out. Even with my DoT giving me MP back, I still always have clarity... same using veigar, even with his passive. Even just farming on both champs, I sitll run out of mp with sapphire crystals even. Flash is a must, obviously So yeah... farm farm farm, harrass with your DoT, and when they get low enough, if your'e close enough, nullzone/ult and then throw a DoT (or before you ult if you're fast enough).

ReLaTiviT

07-20-2011

Either way Malzahar will be doing a lot more damage than Orianna.

TheAnythinger

07-20-2011

Thank you all for your posts, ill definitely look into Annie, but I had played her on a free week recently and wasn't that into her Melting Faces aspect.

If Malzahar does

"...a lot more damage than Orianna."

Then I will be buying him, because I do great with Orianna now.

Thank you all again for the serious replies

TheAnythinger

07-20-2011

Bump

YeY

07-20-2011

As a Malz player what I can offer in terms of advocacy for his face meltingness is that he's an excellent 1v1 type of character. I rarely lane with him and about 90% of the time I'm middle and it's usually dominated allow me to gank top and bot with my pew pew R.

As someone who will be new to Malz you'll want to focus on comboing your abilities for maximum damage as Nethergrasp (his ult) by itself cannot kill. You're going to set the enemy up to stand in your W and drop and E on em real quick then hit that R. Whoever is mid should be dead or near it. In that case just cut em off with your Q. Win.

Definitely easier than it sounds/looks. Malz is quite squishy and his ult leaves him vulnerable so you have to be smart about using it in team fights. Especially if you're carrying/fed, you will get focused immediately most of the time if the enemy isn't ******ed or too busy with another carry etc.

Another tidbit is that, obviously, he's awesome when ganking people since he can render them useless for about 5 seconds while his teammates can pound on the enemy. Also he's one of the kings of pushing a lane thanks to his E. I usually max that out first for mana conservation and keeping mid push up for ganks etc.

There are a few routes to go with him in terms of a build. You can go spammy (my favorite and only way I play malz) with a lot of CDR and a large mana pool. Or you can go single target burst by combo'ing. I say play around with different builds/playstyles before you commit to one.

I love Malz though because if I want a win, I just play him, carry the team and melt faces till the Nexus explodes I hope that helps, just want to help out a potential fellow Malz player haha.

ReLaTiviT

07-20-2011

Quote:
TheAnythinger:
Thank you all for your posts, ill definitely look into Annie, but I had played her on a free week recently and wasn't that into her Melting Faces aspect.

If Malzahar does

"...a lot more damage than Orianna."

Then I will be buying him, because I do great with Orianna now.

Thank you all again for the serious replies

Well be careful, while he does truly more damage, he is also more vulnerable.

Whereas Orianna can stay very far away and extremely mobile during the entire fight Malzahar basically snares himself as well during his ult.

Best of Luck.

TheAnythinger

07-20-2011

bump