Help me get my robot lady on!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hadron Kalideo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

Alright, so I played Lux for a while(well, I tried to play as many heroes as possible but Lux is the one I enjoyed the most) but she seems to be a little bit underpowered as well as having a hard time fitting into the meta, so I started playing Orianna. The robot lady is basically some kinda turbolux so it's all good.

I hit level 20 a little while ago(god **** this shiz is a griiiiiiind) so I can get myself started on like, runes and whatnot, so what's a generally good set of runes to aim for? I was thinking some mana regen and mostly mpen, since it's easy to get cdr from masteries/blue buff/potion and ap is easier to buy and feels manlier to get than mana regen items/mpen items. Then again, with a deathcap ap per level looks like it'll be worth something like 50 ap at level 18, which is pretty hefty.

I'm also thinking a bit about my item build. With Lux I got an early soulstealer since it was basically impossible to die if I played her right, but I don't think Ori's nearly that safe. I've been going either boots+3 pots or doran's ring as a starting item, then eventually getting up to 3x doran's and shoes and a needlessly large rod. At that point I start blue potting whenever I can, and upgrade my shoes/finish deathcap in some order. Usually the game ends before I get much past this, but I aim for either void staff or lich bane, then defensive items like the linkens/nullstone equivalent(can't remember its name) or the revive item.

I'm not sure if I should be grabbing a RoA, because I think the dorans get me through the early game well enough, and I'd rather hit harder earlier than have more survivability earlier since Ori's got decent range.

Uh, other than that I'm a little worried about how I do in lanes. I think that Orianna's generally really strong in lane, but I have trouble against heroes with a good amount of sustain, since her aggression consists of whittling them down rather than bursting them to shreds. Like, I think I can beat stuff like Annie and Brand really easily, but against Morde I basically just sit there and farm the lane at him while he does the same to me(since I just position myself where he can't nuke me and creeps at the same time, I'm not really hurting in lane either). I got crushed by Vlad once, but he was probably a better player and I started doran's against his shoes/3x hp pot, so he just walked up and q'd me repeatedly. Mostly I'm comfortable with this, but I'm still newish to this game so you know whatever.

Oh, and what spells do you grab on ori? I find that her range is long enough that I don't usually get into ignite/exhaust range(and I don't get the ignite mastery anyway since I'm 9/0/21... eventually) so I've just been using flash/teleport and trying to get solo top.

This turned out to be really long. Hmmm. How's the viability of Orianna? It doesn't look like she's in a lot of tournament videos, but they're also on old patches so maybe the players aren't comfortable with her yet?

GrignardTS

07-20-2011

Orianna is very viable. She doesn't hit as hard as other Mage's, but she makes up for it in utility and CC.

I never get RoA on Ori. That's just my personal preference. The best thing to do is try out different builds. Try Tear, RoA, Double Doran's, etc and see which one meshes with your play style best.

My leveling of skills depends on what I'm trying to do with her. If I solo, I usually level R -> W -> Q - > E. If I am laning, I level R -> W -> E -> Q for more support for my lane partner.

I always go early soulstealer on Ori. Her range, ability to kite, and inherent survivability through C:Protect is enough to net me at least 7-9 stacks even in a game I am doing horrible. I usually sit around the 12-16 stack range.

For runes, I go:

Mpen reds
Mana regen/level yellows
CDR blues
CDR quints

You can go flat AP or movement speed quints too, they are all very good.

I do not suggest getting lichbane on Ori. With her passive its tempting, but with her range there is no reason to be so close.

You will never beat tanks that get regrowth pendent in lane. Ori's burst is not that powerful. Focus on last hitting and out CS them. Whittle at them and call for a gank. Use your ultimate wisely. It can pull from towers and pull runners during a gank very effectively.

Trivial Pursuit

07-20-2011

My only issue with Ori is her W. It's great for farming and for escape, but as for damaging opponents its fairly useless. The standard Q---> W combo is underwhelming at the very least, either extended W's range or make it hit harder. Otherwise she's quite viable, but I'd say Lux is still better.

GrignardTS

07-20-2011

Lux is not better, she just has better burst and not as much CC/Ultility.

Ori's shield is better than lux's
Ori's slow is better than lux's
Ori has a speed increase
Ori has a AoE hard CC game changing ult

Lux has much more burst
Lux passive is better
Lux has an incredible, long range low CD snipe AoE ult
Lux has a spammable hard CC

They look even to me.

You need Mpen on Ori. Get CDR and Tear to spam the hell out of your skills. Sure, they wont hit as hard as lux will. But you can harass from 1124 units. Can lux?

Trivial Pursuit

07-20-2011

Ori has more utility and Lux gets more kills. So, it depends on your play style and teammates I guess...

facetious

07-20-2011

I really like Orianna. She's one of my top two favourites. She doesn't do a whole lot of damage to individual targets, but she's really good at controlling a crowd for your teammates to clean up.

Pick up Q as your first Ability. It's great for harrassing in your lane. Your second ability should be E so that you can pull the ball back through things to damage them a second time. Put your third point into W to make sure you've got all three skills. After that, start levelling W for the extra movement speed adjustment - it'll help you catch fleeing enemies or run away from danger much easier.

For early harassment combos, I typically go with a Q aimed slightly behind your opponent, a W for a quick annoyance (and a slight slow on their speed) and then pull back the ball with E quickly for the third hit on the enemy champion. In late game, you'll want to use the range of the ball to your advantage. It's great for seeing on the other side of walls/trees and can be a useful tool to lay down surprise attacks. I find that often if I let the ball sit in one place without doing anything for a while, people tend to forget about it and will end up walking near it at some point. I find that the ult lets me win fights if I'm in it with a high DPS champion on my side. If it's two of us against three of them, we'll usually win if I'm able to catch all three with the ult. Enemy champions are effectively disabled for the duration of the pull, and they're also clustered together for other burst champions to mop up.

As for items, I'll generally try to pick up a Tear first, then chain it to the Archangel's Staff. After that, buy hats. Lots of hats.

GrignardTS

07-20-2011

As far as items go, I always go:

Meki Pendent, HP Pot, Mana Pot
Tear, L1 Boots
Sorc Shoes
Soulstealer
Morello's Tomb

Then I asses what I am facing. Fed Annie? Abyssal Scepter. Fed Vanye/Tryn? Zhonyas Hourglass. Fed Karthas? Banshees. Owning? Deathcap.

And always don't be afraid of buying prereqs for items you know your going to build soon to help you now. Example: If I mid against Annie, I always get abyssal for the MR and AP. So I'll build a Negatron Cloak after soulstealer so I wont die to her OMGWTFBBQ burst.

Hadron Kalideo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitcurtsed View Post
Lux is not better, she just has better burst and not as much CC/Ultility.

Ori's shield is better than lux's
Ori's slow is better than lux's
Ori has a speed increase
Ori has a AoE hard CC game changing ult

Lux has much more burst
Lux passive is better
Lux has an incredible, long range low CD snipe AoE ult
Lux has a spammable hard CC

They look even to me.

You need Mpen on Ori. Get CDR and Tear to spam the hell out of your skills. Sure, they wont hit as hard as lux will. But you can harass from 1124 units. Can lux?
Lux's range is longer than Ori's, I feel like. Her e goes forever and her snare has 1k range and her ult is like pharaoh ult from H o N in terms of range. Ori's sustained damage is just better though, and she's got 4 nukes instead of 3. Lux's CDs are also just a biiiit too long.

I dunno, it feels like Ori's a bit better than Lux to me, in the same way that it feels like Lux is a better Morgana.

When do you guys start chugging blue elixirs?