what is it...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KawaiiDespair

07-19-2011

that makes a support player better then another support player?

say one soraka player(a) compared to another soraka player(b).what does soraka a do that makes him more valuable to the team then soraka player b? is it solely better timed heals and then what makes them better timed? Does it also include ward and CY placement and item building?

I wonder this because I find myself a stronger tank or support/healer but i have no idea how to improve my support game since I cant judge what makes one better then another and I can be in the teamfight from start to end dishing out heals and silences but if my team can't kill we are going to lose regardless making it feel incredibly hard for me to judge how good I personally am doing.

So I was just hoping for a few varying opinions on this, and I'd really not like to hear "don't solo Q" because well that doesnt help me judge my own abilities as a support and improve them.

Jons Wongs

07-19-2011

I see it that technically supports depend heavily on their team so it doesnt make the other support better than you just because your team cant kill. So its more of a team comp thing and who is laneing against who. But mainly your job is to support your team and if you're doing that and they just can't pick up the kills then it doesnt make you bad either.

Hiclic

07-19-2011

The better Soraka's team wins. You sit with your carry in bot and babysit them. You should only have CS for things you carry can absolutely not take. You protect them from ganks using silence+heal. You should be aware of all lanes and if they will need an ult. In team fights save your silence if opponents have channeled abilities. The usual stuff.

If you're playing solo queue you might want to find a friend, preferably an AD carry who can go bot with you. A reliable carry+support duo can do very well in solo games.

KawaiiDespair

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiclic View Post
The better Soraka's team wins. You sit with your carry in bot and babysit them. You should only have CS for things you carry can absolutely not take. You protect them from ganks using silence+heal. You should be aware of all lanes and if they will need an ult. In team fights save your silence if opponents have channeled abilities. The usual stuff.

If you're playing solo queue you might want to find a friend, preferably an AD carry who can go bot with you. A reliable carry+support duo can do very well in solo games.
okay say both soraka's do the bold, how then does one become better the other?

Hiclic

07-20-2011

Proper use of CV's, warding and support. It'll really come down to positioning and otherwise helping your team excel. Sorakas won't carry your game, but by increasing knowledge of the map, life of your allies, and shutting down important abilities on opponents you can create opportunities that will win you the game.

KawaiiDespair

07-20-2011

thats why im having such a hard time figuring out how to improve myself heh...:\

Yuukyou

07-20-2011

From what I've seen, I'd say (in Soraka's case at least) you need top-notch map awareness to be a top mark support player. Early game, you need to keep your carry healed up, use E to top up their mana when they need it, zone your enemies back at least a bit (using Infuse + an auto if nothing else). Essentially, try to let your carry free-farm while keeping your enemies from doing the same. Once you hit six, check the other lanes to see if a Wish will be needed (e.g. an overconfident enemy committed to a towerdive, allies in a lane losing a skirmish, etc.) and use it if necessary. Ward your lane. CV as necessary (tracking a jungler, checking for a gank in an unwarded lane, checking a camp for your jungler, etc.). Midgame and beyond, you need to be where needed and keep healing/silencing targets. Never travel without your tank/carry unless special circumstances are met (helping out a close river fight, warding river/dragon/Baron), and just...support. Infuse a charging mage to push them back for a few seconds. Watch your positioning, save your Wish for a tide-changing moment, keep Astral Bless/Infuse on cooldown, etc.

Most of this isn't personal experience, but what I've seen in streams and higher level play. Lower level, supports tend to make allies a little too overconfident and such. They need to be reminded that you don't make them invincible or they go suicidal and blame you >.>.