[HELP] Shen late game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyrri

04-24-2010

To preface, I am not a top 100 ELO, I rarely do 5 man premades, preferring to just do a duo instead. My partner and I tend to lane together, with me focusing on Shen, and he switches between Shaco, Yi, Ashe, and Kayle. I do fairly decent for myself , generally with at least a 1:1 K : D ratio and usually a 2:1 A : D.

With that said, I'm running the standard 9/21/0 mastery. I'm working on getting HP runes and other defensive runes, as I used to play Mundo. My item build is usually:
1. Doran's Shield + 1 HP pot
2. Boots (generally I have enough to get my tier 2 boots by the time I go back, and it's either Ninja Tabi's or Merc Treads, depending on the other team make up)
3. Ruby Crystal (If I have enough I go ahead and make it into a Leviathan)
4. Leviathan
5. Giants Belt
6. Sunfire Cape
7. This is where I tend to be wishy washy on. I'll generally get another Giants Belt and turn it into a sunfire cape or Frozen Mallet. If the team is heavy on magic dps, I'll go ahead and grab a Force of Nature

Here's my issue; Late Game I'm feeling like all i'm there for is my taunt. Early and Mid Game I can contribute some kills and set up ganks pretty efficiently. If i'm doing my job well, I'll easily have 20 stacks on my Leviathan by the end of mid game and be a beast to kill.

What I'm looking for is perhaps something to up my damage a bit and contribute just a bit more to my team. I did try an Atma's Impaler one game (not one of my best, could only keep around 10 stacks on my leviathan), but I wasnt that impressed. I was debating grabbing a phantom dancer for the dodge (especially against a physical stacked team), not to mention the movement speed and crit. My other thought was that I can keep up a leviathan's easy enough, why not grab a sword of the occult? Extra damage plus some sexy movement speed. Any help is much appreciated!

Bard

04-24-2010

I go Leviathan/Warmogs/Tabi or Treads. After that you can choose from Atma's Impaler or something like a Bloodthirster for more damage.

i've done this and played about 10 games on Shen and I've yet to go negative.

theIatola

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2010

I think people get wrapped up in doing late game damage as a tank. With Shen you basically build sunfire cape after sunfire cape in your build, or if they are magic heavy, get a spirit visage and keep building sunfire capes. You will be able to farm creep waves really well, and have a lot of health for ki strike and armor to absorb those auto attacks when you taunt people. Don't try to change your role late game. You are the teams tank. Keep doing tanky things!

Nyrri

04-24-2010

Honestly that's what I've had the best success with. I might add in a Warmog's, but I'm unsure if you get the equivalent of 10 minion kills on assists. Does anyone have any information on that?

Grizzly Bear

04-24-2010

Yes, you're there for your taunt late game. Accept it.

Chizzburger

04-25-2010

I think you should aim for a build geared toward tank/aura. Shen is a great aegis carrier and can really help out the team there. Also most of your damage should come from your ki strike and vorpal blade harrases so i would say to add a warmogs pretty early.

My item build is;

1. Ninja Tabi
2. Warmogs
3. Aegis of the Legion
4. Force of Nature for caster heavy team or Wardens mail for physical dps team
5. Atma's Impaler

The game is usually finished by the 4th item and if it goes on any longer Atma's helps you put out some serious damage.

Pr0phetEzekiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

I usually only build sunfire capes if the enemy team is quite physical heavy. Quite, as in 4 out of 5.

I've played about sixty games with Shen, going even on win-loss for whatever reason, and I've very recently adapted a build that I saw this pro Mordekaiser use.

Ruby Crystal > Phage.
Boots (merc/ninja)
Atmas
Aegis
(getting owned by magic/physical? Get some armor/MR. Doing fine? Finish Frozen)

Alternatively, if you have a good laning partner, you can start with boots and three hp pots. Boots with Shen allow you to spam vorpal on them nonstop during laning phase, which usually always nets me first blood, or at least a kill or two before level 6.

With this build, you're still quite the tank, but you also have around 200 attack damage. You're able to take down towers and hurt people while tanking and taunting for your team.

It works for me.

Mister Sugar

04-25-2010

I usually get Aegis after Leviathans for the added defense and damage to the whole team. So, now when you port in on a teammate in despair, they not only get a fat bubble to absorb lots of damage, but they get a lot of defense to make that bubble go even further.

Then I move on to...

Guardian's Angel is a great late-game item. Since you already get plenty of HP from Leviathan, it adds a lot of defensive mitigation to that flat hp.
As an added Bonus the revive helps you keep those Leviathan stacks!