Alternative marks for Sona?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MechaPastacat

Recruiter

07-19-2011

I've been playing Sona a lot lately, but I'm not sure how to use her red rune slots. All the guides that I have read recommend magic penetration marks, but it doesn't seem like Sona is much of a mage at all. Do you think it would be viable to use those slots for more mana regen or cooldown reduction instead?

Silkdawn

07-20-2011

I would say it depends on how youve set up your masteries. I dont think the red runes by themselfs really help out all that much towards your CDR for instance.

Mana regen sounds like an option imo, shes thirsty in the beginning before you start to raise that mana regen with items.

Epsilon2012

07-20-2011

Some People go Armor...

iwannatwirrl

07-20-2011

Use magic pen!
One of sona's biggest strengths IMO is her early/mid game harass.

Instead of last hitting, help zone out and poke your lane opponents while your carry farms. She really excels at it and q+power chord does great poke g right up until lategame

michelada

07-20-2011

magic pen are worthless get AP/LVL, help u heal more

Jairoe

07-20-2011

the thing is the other marks aren't worth the points since they give you subpar bonuses. Marks are mainly AD damage type marks but they also include 1 ap mark which is m.pen as a primary stat and thats why people use it. You generally want to use primary stats across your whole page because the IP points aren't worth wasting for subpar bonuses (secondary stats etc.). Plus despite Sona being a support champ, she DOES do damage and every bit counts. You have 2 moves that actually would utilize the M.Pen.

Spiffy McBang

07-20-2011

I used Sona a lot when she first came out, quit playing for a long time, just came back, and still have the rune setup from months ago with magic pen. And it still works. If you use her just for the healing and ult stun, no, it's not as good, but if that's your intention you're not utilizing her fully. The early/mid-game harass, as mentioned, is one of her strongest points, and you can catch a lot of people sleeping if you're teamed with a DPS they're more concerned about.

Additionally, one of the most efficient ways of boosting her AP is with Mejai's, and magic pen can help you get kills that ratchet it up faster. This is actually more important if you intend to build her more for mana/CDR and less for offense, because then a Mejai's would account for a larger percentage of your AP.

Stick with magic pen.