[Guide] Why is Leona a crossbreed between a machine and a monster?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kreicus

07-27-2011

You're comparing support to a tank. Tank's are generally reliant on a good carry/team, its part of the deal.

HungryKarnage

07-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannatwirrl View Post
leona is a lot of fun, but holy **** is she dependent on a carry worth a ****.
with sona or soraka i can just screw around while the carry face-fails their way through the laning phase--and generally still keep them upright and successful.

Not so with leona. A poor carry down bot w/ you will make your early aggressiveness come to naught. Or, they'll charge in themselves instead of letting you initiate...then get harassed down super low and hide by the tower for forever.

Just fair warning, Leona bot with a talented AD carry...very, very scary. But you need that DPS support to pull it off.
That is a fair statement to make. One of the reasons why you've seen Leona's popularity plummet after her first week is because a lot of players realize that she is highly dependent, not just on her lane partner, but on her team in general to truly abuse her strengths.

Since Leona is unable to heal her carry like other supports, you MUST be doing strong successful harass in return. The idea is to hurt them so badly that even a healer can't keep up (they have to blue pill or die), or just outright kill them in lane. If you try to play a game of slow harass, you will lose.

My best times with Leona are when I duo queue with a friend I know to be aggressive and aware. Even without that, Leona is so dominant in the early game that only about 5% of the time do I lose bot lane when I'm using Leona. Either we are killing them, or zoning them, or eventually pushing the turret down (before our own drops). The only duo combination that I've played that is more successful is Alistar/Poppy, but that is a unique case. All other times Leona synergizes so strongly with range AD carries or jumping assassins that the lane is unbeatable.

The other reason for her drop in popularity is scaling issues. She scales terribly towards the mid to late game, so the point to playing Leona is to give your team such a strong early advantage (making your carry uber-farmed while diminishing their carry's farm) that it doesn't matter by then. She has weak initiation, a somewhat reliable set of cc, and little damage output at the end. An Amu can just run in and wait for them to collapse on him and ulti them. Leona has to catch some squishy out of position, else you can't initiate as Zenith Blade moves her to her target. Tagging an enemy tank is one of the worst things you could do.

If you don't like the idea of being dependent on a laning partner, then Leona is definitely not for you. There is no way around it for her.

HungryKarnage

08-01-2011

Bump for a new alternative build from Chaox (randomly made on spot!), and my thoughts on expanding on it. Also, victory bump as this guide is official! (In guide listing)

Moobs Mangina

09-29-2011

Ok, I must say that I am an avid Leona player. I usually build her for a lot of tankiness and on average go about 2/6/10...very round about number. I have now played this build in 10 games and in that 10 game streak my total numbers are 74/57/146. My best game was 10/3/27. My worst game was 4/16/21 (against a way stacked team). In all 10 games I have ran with my wife who plays Miss Fortune built Berserker Greaves, Tiamat, Nashors tooth, Sword of the Divine, Black Cleaver, and a Blood Thirster (ideal build). You may ask, why the speed? We straigt ninja kill every turret almost ever game. No creeps...just me and Miss Fortune tanking down often times up to 3 turrets in about 2 minutes. Essentially, I am just saying, this build has completely changed the way I run with Leona. Thanks for the fantastic info.

Moobs Mangina

09-29-2011

Oh, and it would sweet to get a reply from the genius behind this build.

MBirk

09-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryKarnage View Post
That is a fair statement to make. One of the reasons why you've seen Leona's popularity plummet after her first week is because a lot of players realize that she is highly dependent, not just on her lane partner, but on her team in general to truly abuse her strengths.

Since Leona is unable to heal her carry like other supports, you MUST be doing strong successful harass in return. The idea is to hurt them so badly that even a healer can't keep up (they have to blue pill or die), or just outright kill them in lane. If you try to play a game of slow harass, you will lose.

My best times with Leona are when I duo queue with a friend I know to be aggressive and aware. Even without that, Leona is so dominant in the early game that only about 5% of the time do I lose bot lane when I'm using Leona. Either we are killing them, or zoning them, or eventually pushing the turret down (before our own drops). The only duo combination that I've played that is more successful is Alistar/Poppy, but that is a unique case. All other times Leona synergizes so strongly with range AD carries or jumping assassins that the lane is unbeatable.

The other reason for her drop in popularity is scaling issues. She scales terribly towards the mid to late game, so the point to playing Leona is to give your team such a strong early advantage (making your carry uber-farmed while diminishing their carry's farm) that it doesn't matter by then. She has weak initiation, a somewhat reliable set of cc, and little damage output at the end. An Amu can just run in and wait for them to collapse on him and ulti them. Leona has to catch some squishy out of position, else you can't initiate as Zenith Blade moves her to her target. Tagging an enemy tank is one of the worst things you could do.

If you don't like the idea of being dependent on a laning partner, then Leona is definitely not for you. There is no way around it for her.
This is also one of the reasons tank masterys are better. 1/21/8. Tank masteries are most powerful early game. While that cdr you get with uti/off, is easily replaceable with items, mid/late game. Her passive is attackers spell pen, not yours. so getting that 15% spell pen is fairly pointless.
tank masteries+W make you a zoning god early game. Letting you 0 CS, protect your carry, as well as set up kills. winning with leona is absolutely about feeding the heck out of your lane partner. its like have 3 solo lanes.

Mendhi

09-30-2011

I'm still a little new to the game compared to you guys, but from my experience so far, she doesn't seem like much of a threat unless she's stunning you every 4 seconds, peeling people off constantly, etc. A straight tank build doesn't seem right since, if I was the enemy, I'd just ignore you for last and go for the squishies, if your CD's were still long and your damage is sad.

Tank/support seems to make more sense, to work that CDR hardcore.