[Guide] Oppenheimer

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boagrius

06-15-2010

I've played with Thth before, and I can back up that he is a great heimer player. I play heimer also and follow a very similar build/mastery set on him. I usually go with a mana crystal first and build it into a tear right away and skip the chalice altogether, but I have mana regen yellows so it is personal preference.

A tip I can offer as going mid with heimer is to grab the golum buff early on. I usually wait until I get my red turrets and grab it. Once you have this you will be able to spam turrets, grenades, and rockets like its no tomorrow, and unless the enemy mid gets help, there tower is going to fall for sure. Works every time. Even if another champ comes to help, you are still usually able to push it down. It will also help build mana up for your tear since you will be spamming so many abilities.

My two cents, this is a very good guide.

Thth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshane View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how u said to backdoor tho
Stand behind the wall closest to the outer second layer of turrets (near golem and lizard), and throw grenades at the tower. (Remember to stay out of sight of minions!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyme View Post
No hitpoints... Failed horribly.
I fail to see how any play style involving Heimer being hit sufficiently for buffing his health to become a topic of importance could succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akyio View Post
the biggest problem for heimer i find mana and health. I have mana regen quints and seals/lvl, abilitu power seals and magic pen marks. with utility mastery clarity and teleport usually no big mana problems, but i find heimer most effective when he has mana without the end..
The golem buff solves Heimer's mana problems wonderfully! Making it clear that Heimerdinger requires the golem buff for maximum efficiency to your teammates easily allows you to free up your quintessences and seals for more nukeability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToasty View Post
I just want to point out to Heimer fans that yes, magic penetration does work. It have been tested (literally a couple of days ago) and there are posts proving it.
What a development this is indeed.

9n0sXYAWEQ

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thth View Post
I fail to see how any play style involving Heimer being hit sufficiently for buffing his health to become a topic of importance could succeed.
And I fail to see how you manage to stay alive.
If grenade is on cooldown (lvl 1-14) you are defenseless. You still have turrets, but even if they are there, they often do less damage than enemies.
Anyone with blink or dash or something like that disables grenades.
That does not only mean "Tristana" but also Katarina, Akali, Shaco, Trynda, Shen, sometimes Gragas, Nuke/heavy dmg heroes with flash.
If you throw a grenade and they decide to kill you, you're dead.

Also I don't understand how you're supposed to protect your turrets.
I played against Ashe, who obviously isn't the strongest DD early game. But my turrets were always focussed and killed. I plant turret, she autoattacks, I throw grenade, she dodges, she kills turret. If I try to autoattack her, I get a volley in my face.

I probably played really bad, and you are way awesomer than I am, but I don't understand how you're supposed to push, when everyone can kill you.

Thth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyme View Post
And I fail to see how you manage to stay alive.
If grenade is on cooldown (lvl 1-14) you are defenseless. You still have turrets, but even if they are there, they often do less damage than enemies.
Anyone with blink or dash or something like that disables grenades.
That does not only mean "Tristana" but also Katarina, Akali, Shaco, Trynda, Shen, sometimes Gragas, Nuke/heavy dmg heroes with flash.
If you throw a grenade and they decide to kill you, you're dead.

Also I don't understand how you're supposed to protect your turrets.
I played against Ashe, who obviously isn't the strongest DD early game. But my turrets were always focussed and killed. I plant turret, she autoattacks, I throw grenade, she dodges, she kills turret. If I try to autoattack her, I get a volley in my face.

I probably played really bad, and you are way awesomer than I am, but I don't understand how you're supposed to push, when everyone can kill you.

The point I made about Tristana is of the early game, which it appears that I've forgotten to includeŚ the main difficulty with Tristana is that the range of her jump rivals that of your grenade, and being a regular spammable skill, as opposed to flash, liberates her freedom of harassment. The other champions you mentioned do not pose a danger because of their lack of ability to easily destroy your turrets, and would not be able to withstand Heimerdinger's mid siege for them to be in mid. And, as you would be benefited from solo laning, any of such champions at a lower level do not pose any immediate threat to you. With proper kiting, turret damage is no laughing matter. (Your turrets should be spread out as a triangle so your damage source is not all concentrated in your front line)

In regards to turret protection:
Firstly, it is important that one establishes a turret field, so that even if your opponent is able to destroy your turrets as fast as you're able to create them, you would still have one or two turrets in the back which've survived due to conservative placement. A Heimer stripped of turrets in early stages is one with no defence.
To ward away champions that could standard-attack your turrets easily like Ashe, it is important to not just simply throw your grenade and hope it hits. For these champions to destroy your turrets at a substantial rate, they would have to be auto-attacking, which they cannot do if they also are suspecting and are preparing to dodge a grenade. Do not be afraid of "hit and run" single attacks, and rather time your grenades so that your opponent does not gain the chance to destroy your turret and be able to effectively deal with the minions which are easily pushed ahead with support from your turret fire. If some of your turrets in the back are not in range of the enemy minions, you could easly throw one wrench at your opponent for all the minions to focus you, and simply back away for them to follow to your turrets' range. Your opponent cannot destroy your turrets without the support of their minions.

purkel

06-16-2010

i think a problem with this guide is - no additional cooldown reduction and low hit points.

Thth

Recruiter

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by purkel View Post
i think a problem with this guide is - no additional cooldown reduction and low hit points.
Cooldown is maxed at 40% with Heimerdinger's ult's passive and golem buff, and his squishiness is covered with proper positioning of turrets, being the hardest champion to actually get through to hit. Have I not emphasized these two points enough in my guide and the following comments?

purkel

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thth View Post
Cooldown is maxed at 40% with Heimerdinger's ult's passive and golem buff, and his squishiness is covered with proper positioning of turrets, being the hardest champion to actually get through to hit. Have I not emphasized these two points enough in my guide and the following comments?
im just saying youre gonna be squishy without hps. I always get a rod of ages and a frozen heart...

if your team falls behind, you cant count on always having golem buff.

Thth

Recruiter

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by purkel View Post
im just saying youre gonna be squishy without hps. I always get a rod of ages and a frozen heart...

if your team falls behind, you cant count on always having golem buff.
As I stated, there's no point to build up armour on Heimerdinger as enemies cannot get to him with proper play; especially not when build to nuke.

As for cooldown, there's no need to build it up when you could already potentially get max. Of course, Deathfire Grasp is viable, but playing with 29% cooldown from the ult's passive and masteries certainly does not dictate failure.

Stangerlift

06-16-2010

You guys need to really remember that Zhonyas makes you invincible. Ive been getting so many kills by getting attacked, going gold and tanking them down while the oppons kill

Thth

Recruiter

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshane View Post
You guys need to really remember that Zhonyas makes you invincible. Ive been getting so many kills by getting attacked, going gold and tanking them down while the oppons kill
That too. Totally forgot to mention that.

1234567 ... 8