Losing Streak - Me or Poppy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arrivederco

06-20-2010

Bought her because she seemed fun with a lot of potential but I've just been sucking it up horribly. I know that an overall bad game can have a huge impact on anyone, but I'm starting to wonder after 5 bad losses. I do much much better with Annie/Mundo/Teemo/Fiddle/Mordekaiser.

I go shield or a rejuv bead w/pots, flash and exhaust or teleport. Charge first, then Devastating, then Charge again or sometimes Paragon. Then I level up Charge and DB evenly while getting my ult whenever I can.

Early lane, I do sometimes get a kill or two with my charge, especially with exhaust, but I get harassed horribly by ranged and have a terrible time trying to make money. Often have to port back due to low hp and then I lose exp and get behind, etc.

I go for boots, upgrade bead to Emblem, then Sheen. Honestly none of my games have made it far past that but I started building infinity edge or phage after Sheen.

In team fights I'm underleveled often due to being killed in my lane. If I catch stragglers with bad escape skills I can get kills. If the group is together I can diplomatic immunity, but I generally get stunned or my target runs just out range and I can't catch up until it wears off and I die.

I know this could all just be my teams generally failing 5 games in a row, but it's such a huge change from my fairly good win rate with other characters

Purutzil

06-20-2010

Its just you really. She is an amazing hero really though it all depends on how you play her. She is an ultra aggressive hero and as such you need to be thirsting for blood as her. Her ult is key to getting in kills and living.

If your playing SR she loses some umph due to her drag having a harder time hitting walls for a stun but even still you can manage them and if not able to its possible to atleast drag them back the other way for extra hits on them.

Arrivederco

06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purutzil View Post
Its just you really. She is an amazing hero really though it all depends on how you play her. She is an ultra aggressive hero and as such you need to be thirsting for blood as her. Her ult is key to getting in kills and living.

If your playing SR she loses some umph due to her drag having a harder time hitting walls for a stun but even still you can manage them and if not able to its possible to atleast drag them back the other way for extra hits on them.
I play SR.

Your suggestion would be great but being able to get behind a caster to knock them back towards your turret is pretty impossible unless they go afk :/

BlackStar00

06-21-2010

I jsut used poppy and followed this guide....

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...for+the+mallet

6 wins 1 lost using this guide. Will get even better once i lvl up enuf to have runes n abilities like flash (useful for charging placement)

Using his normal build, i dnt die due to her tankyness and deal hell a tonne of dmg from mid to end game. Seriously crazy. Try it out

VejiTehDestroyer

06-21-2010

I had the same issues the OP did after my first week of playing. I dropped her and went for Alistar instead and i like him quite a bit better as personal preference.

If you are having troubles with money, like I did, I suggest searching the item database for a gold making item. For example, I usually run Heart of Gold > 1st tier boots > Heart of Gold > Last tier boots > and item or 2 more (depending on the fight) > Omen. The Heart of Gold gives me good health buffs early on and gives me 1 gold every second. You don't have to get Hearts of Gold, as (i think) they have an attack or ability power item that does the same thing. If you can, i'd seek that out and try to add that to your item build early game to give you that quick boost at Trinity or whatever 2k+g item you are going for.

Remember: You can always sell what you buy to free up slots for better items and some times, early game items don't exactly do well in the last 10-15 minutes of the game.

I also don't initiate fights when i'm laning. I hang back, and try to get final hits on the minions as much as i can and if i get pushed back to my tower and i have an over-confident opponent, i flash, headbutt, and they get to see my tower in greater detail before they die. Alistar and Poppy do share one thing: They both have a knockback that requires good positioning to be effective.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Camen Sieder

06-21-2010

best advice I can give you is to find a better laning partner because poppy is horrible at farming and gets shut down rather easily if she's forced to tower hug and try to last hit.

at level 1 grab E then focus on Q and W also picking up R whenever possible. Starting items I prefer a dorans shield in 5's or an elixor of fortitude for 3's (depending). As soon as you have enough money for level 1 boots and sheen go buy because sheen is everything on poppy.

my personaly build on SR goes like this:

dorans shield-couple health potions
+1 boots
sheen
merc treads if CC is weak or not focused on me I pick up swiftness
phage
zeal
upgrade all of that to trinity force
guinsoos rageblade - I buy the entire thing at one time to keep me out in the battle as much as possible either creeping or ganking
The only time I drop the rageblade is when I see them stacking HP like the casters and such then I will pick up a bloodrazor plus it does wonders vrs tanky champs

The boost you get from your W and rageblade should be enough to allow you to focus down one of their squishes or carries.

Your main job on poppy is your ability to focus down their best with your ulti popped. If you see a fiddle,nunu or any champs channeling you slap your E on them and hit W to get out of dodge before the team counters you and you will have just put their ulti on cooldown allowing your team to push harder or even just stay alive long enough to score that ace. It also help to be watching the entire battle and tackle anybody getting the better of your teammates. You will do a lot better if you play as a baby sitter/care taker.

The thing about poppy is you don't have to get that killing blow on her to be effective and get your job done. You need to be able to damage their carry and basically force him into the middle of the fight before he is ready or just flat out take him out of the fight and put a hinder on the enemy teams DPS rate for as long as you can. Poppy is very good at being able to control the battle area and who she wants in and out of it.

Basically just pick on the most annoying person on the enemy team to leave them dead or with under half HP so they're too damaged to be aggressive and do this without getting yourself killed. Just make their hardest hitter easier to kill and you shoudl start winning more games.

If you already do all of this and still find she's just not good enough then you either need to get a lot better on last hitting, spend more time killing neutral monsters (for gold) or just drop he as a champ.

She is a solid champ, but atm she just has too many bugs with her skills to be aa much fun as she once was for me.

DayInTheSun

06-21-2010

Sometimes continuously playing one champion can be a detriment to the team because you're not helping your team's composition. If your team has an Olaf, Jax, Garen and Katarina, the last thing you want to do is pick Poppy and turn your team into an all melee team that will just get kited by ranged carries.

Also if you're experiencing a slump with a champion, just take a break from the game or switch it up to another champion. I have 6 champions that I can usually play fairly well (fairly well by my standards is pretty god awful in comparison to everyone else, but that's another topic altogether) and I try to adapt to what my team needs.

Arrivederco

06-21-2010

Well I did do a little better my last few games.

I go Doran's/Pot, Boots, Emblem, Sheen, Phage, Triforce, then start Last Whisper or something. Haven't had games get past that, possibly due to my crappy farming.

I can't really see leaving charge at level 1, since the Charge>DB combo is a lot of my damage. Without good charge damage I'd need like 15 seconds to kill anything via auto attack/db.

For Sheen, is it increasing the damage on my Devastating Blow? I'm not sure exactly what makes it so hot for Poppy.

Akyio

06-21-2010

it's you but definitely not your way of playing. it is just probably a period. i always have losing streak like winning streak, and champions dont matter, its just kind of match making or whatever. dont get disappointed with particular champion

malphismia

06-21-2010

If you're new to a champ, you can expect not to be an unstoppable force like some Poppys I've seen.

Poppy relies on cashflow from kills. Her farm is sht. If you can't get kills --> you have an underfarmed build that will not net you kills --> no kills still --> vicious cycle.

Either get better at Poppy, because if she's fed she does massive damage. Or get tiamats for better farm. But really, all you need is getting steamrolled. Bad early game --> Bad late game. So work on getting damage early.

Player kills will fuel your item build, creep kills wont.